SMH column rips into "thuggish misconduct", Toovey & Manly players!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was sitting on the crapper reading this. Seems rather appropriate now. Nearly used my phone to wipe my arse with this piece of crap of a story.

Moondog said:
I reckon this bloke would be an AFL supporter. How many RL fans use the word melee.

Increasingly most RL media are using melee instead of brawl. Never used to hear that word in RL at all. Fans still don't use it. I think the media believe it makes them look more cleverer as they are using a French word. There's also a lot of sports media people working in RL that are from interstate & came to Sydney for work which naturally means moving into RL coverage.

Go Manly for the 2013 flag!

It's kind of nice that they let a guy write an article after watching his first game of rugby league, but somebody really should have explained the rules to him first. And maybe they should have let him wear his glasses.

I'm loving all the hate this year. The last time it felt like we were hated this much was in 2011. The haters are so, so stupid that they keep on providing our team with perfect motivation. It seems yet another premiership is on it's way. Enjoy! hahaha.

A "pile driver" tackle? Not even Inu did that one. And a "head hunter" when the arm was thrown at the ball?

Put his name and rugby league into google and there is a few pieces thrown up over the years. This is from one in 2004 during "fire up" taxi cab days.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/23/1085250865917.html

Rugby league will be around for a long time, it will draw high TV ratings, big crowds and loyal fans, but the chance to break out of its blue-collar, geographically limited roots has passed. I draw this conclusion as someone who grew up with the Newtown Bluebags, who follows a league team and who will continue to do so. The game is now only one of many options, and has a culture now terminally trapped inside the bottom ranges of the socio-economic scale.

Unlike all the major team sports - and rugby league, geographically and socially limited, is not one of them - league is almost invisible in institutions where a modicum of intellectual rigour is required, such as universities. This is unhealthy for the game, but there is no solution. Even league's flagship bit of fun and prime-time glamour, The Footy Show, is intrinsically bound into the game's culture of insularity, completely lacking any irony about its own limited ambition, which is to personify and glorify the culture of the boofhead.

This is rugby league's enduring, defining, self-perpetuating problem: while Australia evolves from a blue-collar nation to white-collar one, rugby league has proven it cannot make the same evolution. What was once the dominant football code in two large Australian states is evolving towards becoming the game for boofheads in two large states. The game that produced Reg Gasnier has become the business that produced Mark Gasnier.

He seems quite obsessed with greg inglis and how this wonderful man was bashed by our thugs.

The same wonderful man who was charged with physically abusing his girl friend before using the excuse of stopping her from self harm.

Good tough football will never win us any new friends. We need to get with the program and concentrate on chicken wing tackles, crushers, grapple tackles, substance abuse, pack rapes, salary cap rorts, players cheating with team mates wives/girlfriends, domestic violence etc.

If we want to be part of the modern era, we have to adapt and do what the other sides do. We can't live in the past and think good, hard footy will continue to pave the way.

I understand why fans hate Matai. I would to if he played for someone else. Matai has the ability to hammer any player on the field, he is a frightening figure.
Hopefully he will never be on the opposite side of the field to the eagles.

Some of the hits on the weekend were over the top, but i am sure it is a contact sport.
Stewart had a high shot on Inglis as he was running for the line....pfft. Brett should have rolled out the red carpet to please Paul Shemale

Be good this Friday when that absolute cleanskin Non-english,comes up against 3rd man in Thaiday.They might smash each other stupid (oops,might be too late for that)

the mauler said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
and he fails to mention this tackle

946984_10151586083154456_2143962950_n.jpg

Oh that's Matai again, attacking the arm of Burgess with his head.

and the other souffs player in the tackle going for the ball!! Did we get a penalty for attempted strip?

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/by/paul-sheehan

Why is there are political commentator writing a beat up on a sporting team? You can see how much of it is bull**** just by reading it, he has no clue rofl. His tears give me sustenance.

Irony - Manly fans bagging a journo for his right-leaning attitude, when their team is smack bang in the middle of a right-leaning community...and the story doesn't even go into the journos politics!!!

Are some of you so bereft of insults for a crap journo writing a crap piece, that you need to rely on the left/right dig?!?!? Did any of you feel the need to rip into Jacqueline Magney's left-leaning political stance, when ripping her stories about the Brett Stewart case?

No wonder political debate in this country has gone down the gurglar, when people can only see through one eye, or the other; even drawing reference where there is no connection.

I just don't get how he can imply that Brett, who was sprinting across to prevent a try, actually had time to think "hang on I should elbow him in the head here". Same goes for Matai. The refs, the judiaciary, even Phil Gould said the arm hit the ball first and it was unlucky. This guy claims he took his head off with a clothes line. Nor was Inglis speared. He was tipped but it wasn't malicious. I have refrained from attacking this guy on twitter cos that's obviously what he wants. But fair go. What a tool.

Hamster Huey said:
Irony - Manly fans bagging a journo for his right-leaning attitude, when their team is smack bang in the middle of a right-leaning community...and the story doesn't even go into the journos politics!!!

Are some of you so bereft of insults for a crap journo writing a crap piece, that you need to rely on the left/right dig?!?!? Did any of you feel the need to rip into Jacqueline Magney's left-leaning political stance, when ripping her stories about the Brett Stewart case?

No wonder political debate in this country has gone down the gurglar, when people can only see through one eye, or the other; even drawing reference where there is no connection.

No political bias from me. The article is just crap.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8