Slater Was Better than Stewart in Origin 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
well according to Barry Tooheys rating in todays telegraph.

He gave Slater 7.5 and Brett 6.5.

Anyone with eyes agree with this?

No, Toohey is a political writer and should stick to that. However Stewart was behind a weaker pack and backline, and thus had to do a lot more work in defense and organizing. Both didn't 'shine' imo.

Judging by the stats that Cambo posted in http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Anyone-doubting-Hayne-now?pid=412312#pid412312 I would say no, I don't agree with him (Barry Toohey).

Cameron said:
Brett 132 meters Slater 78
Brett 4 tackle burst slater 2
Brett 0 errors slater 3 errors

I can't honestly say that I never saw Slater do anything special or spectacular at all in that game. All that I saw him do is on the few times that he actually managed to catch the ball from a kick/bomb he would quickly pass the ball to his team mate so that he wouldn't get smashed by the fast approaching NSW attack heading towards him. Brett on the other hand seemed to have no problems catching the ball from kicks/bombs and would meet the opposition head on 9 times out of 10. He also came very close to scoring a try which is more than I can say for Slater.

WHO shone and who stank in game one of the 2012 State of Origin series played in Melbourne.

Fulltime ratings

BLUES:

Brett Stewart: 6.5

Solid as a rock at the back but well contained by the Maroons.

Jarryd Hayne: 8

Out of form? Went after the ball and was the Blues most dangerous player.

Michael Jennings: 7

Some electrifying moments but his first half sin-bin stint didn't help.

Josh Morris: 6.5

We rarely saw his trademark footwork and he had his hands full with Inglis.

Akuila Uate: 7.5

Explosive running game and has some tough defensive decisions to make.

Todd Carney: 4.5

Very scratchy at best. Won't look back on this game with any satisfaction.

Mitchell Pearce: 6.5

Had some good touches but generally a mixed bag from the halfback.

Paul Gallen: 9

What can you say about this bloke. Inspiring captain's knock yet again.

Robbie Farah: 8

More than justified selection. Was creative and dangerous at times out of dummy half.

James Tamou: 7.5

Outstanding early stint in the first half. Bent the line just about every hit-up.

Glenn Stewart: 6.5

Good workrate but his ball-playing was largely ineffective on the night.

Luke Lewis: 6

Better in the second half but struggled to get into the game in attack.

Greg Bird: 8.5

Loves Origin. Always produces his best and this game was no exception.

Interchange:

Trent Merrin: 7

Justified coach Stuart's faith in him. Got through his share of work.

Jamie Buhrer: 3

Farah going so well didn't help his game time and still a question mark at this level.

Ben Creagh: 4.5

Surprise selection and will be a surprise if he is there in game 2.

Tony Williams: 6.5

Not a lot of game time but he was hard to stop when he was out there.
For a full wrap of all the action, our interactive player rater, galleries and videos from the big game visit our match centre.

GALLERY: Check out great pictures from the game

MAROONS:

Billy Slater: 7.5

Had trouble with a couple of bombs but a constant threat as usual at the back.

Darius Boyd: 7.5

Finished well for two first half tries and solid overall.

Greg Inglis: 8.5

Loves the big stage and was a huge handful. Not sure about his try though.

Justin Hodges: 5.5

Maroons rarely went to his side so little impact in attack but defence was strong.

Brent Tate: 8.5

Turned back the clock. Great under the high ball and worried the Blues defence.

Johnathan Thurston: 8

Was best on the field at halftime but didn't have the opportunities in the second 40.

Cooper Cronk: 7.5

This bloke provides consistancy and threatened with his kicking game.

Matt Scott: 7

Wasn't as dominant running the ball as he has been but was still strong up front.

Cameron Smith: 7.5

Tireless defence and great kicking game out of dummy half. Didn't run much though.

Petero Civoniceva: 6.5

Second stint better than his first but not the Origin force he once was.

Nate Myles: 7.5

Second only to Smith in his defensive workrate and kept coming up the middle.

Sam Thaiday: 7

Big Sam was more constrained than normal in attack but defence was great.

Ashley Harrison: 7

You know what you get from this bloke. A big workrate.

Interchange:

Matt Gillett: 4

Got a taste of what Origin is all about but his time will come down the track.

Dave Taylor: 5.5

The Coal Train struggled to get out of first gear when out there.

Ben Hannant: 7

Great interchange big man. The Maroons grabbed the momentum when he came on.

David Shillington: 6.5

Not a whole lot of game time and no real impact as a result.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/origin-player-ratings/story-e6frexv9-1226364914599

What do you expectfrom a guy with a name like Barry Toohey? Great name if you're into rising inflections.

The Phonehacking Ltd love affair with all things Melbourne Squall continues. That's my take. Slater made a mistake that lead to a NSW try. After that boo-boo the 'nasally one' was barely sighted. So yes, in the world of the (unfortunately named) provincial tabloid hack Toohey, that would clearly rate him higher than a 'safe as houses' Brett Stewart. I can see that. Can't you?

Slater was NSW best player. However, he was playing in a maroon jersey so I would give his performance a 4/10.

2830 Eagle said:
Slater dogged it every time he had to run the ball back

Exactly. The gutless grub is like "Oh no, I'm going to get smashed. Here, (passes the ball to team mate) you have the ball. I don't want to get hurt"

add 1 point to NSw and take away 1 point from qld due to the win/loss factor then you get the real story.

Scott getting 7 is a joke, made no impact, compare that to tamou with 7.5 who went extremely well early.

Glenn Stewart is a ball playing lock. What do they expect to haPpen to his ball playing when they play him right in off the ruck?

If there is one criticism I have of brett last night was his failure to be there for any half breaks. He just dint trail anyone around the ruck and it is a strength of his. It wasnt that it didnt come his way, he just didnt put himself in the frame and players like bird, hayne, tamau,Lewis, merrin etc, were crying out for a speed man to support them through the middle

He trailed glen a lot ( which is understandable) but glen was crabbing across field rather than splitting them up the guts

He could have been a hero last night with the amount of half breaks that went un supported

jbb/james said:
If there is one criticism I have of brett last night was his failure to be there for any half breaks. He just dint trail anyone around the ruck and it is a strength of his. It wasnt that it didnt come his way, he just didnt put himself in the frame and players like bird, hayne, tamau,Lewis, merrin etc, were crying out for a speed man to support them through the middle

He trailed glen a lot ( which is understandable) but glen was crabbing across field rather than splitting them up the guts

He could have been a hero last night with the amount of half breaks that went un supported

I hate to say it but he lacked intensity in defense. He didn't even attempt to run across to try and stop two of QLD's tries. Also he would have scored that try he missed if he didn't jog for the first few meters. Before people bite my head off watch the reply of QLD's tries, he just didn't seem interested. :(

Stewart makes the great stuff look average and Slater makes the average stuff looks great, and it has never been more evident than last night

1 stood there and took every ball that came his way easily and made it look routine, while the other was trying showpony above the head takes and spilt them

torana355 said:
jbb/james said:

I hate to say it but he lacked intensity in defense. He didn't even attempt to run across to try and stop two of QLD's tries. Also he would have scored that try he missed if he didn't jog for the first few meters. Before people bite my head off watch the reply of QLD's tries, he just didn't seem interested. :(
Your wrong mate, you can't blame Brett for either. When they score in the right hand corner when their winger was 10 meters in from the touch line. Did you see Brett smash thaiday in a tackle.

Brett's near miss (disallowed try) is testament to his support play.

If Jenning's kick had been better directed (further infield), Snake would have scored for sure. I thought he had a 'bright' match, without actually getting any real chances. Gifty was not supported and had no one to slip the ball to.

Jennings is / was out of form, and the ten minutes he spent in the bin did damage to our chances.

See the missed try here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLTgbHA7NM&feature=youtu.be

I am amazed that there is even a discussion to be had.... Snake did not make one mistake and nearly scored, the reason he jogged at first is because he was infield and Jennings kicked along the line he thought it was not a chance and he still nearly did it, whereas Slater dropped it multiple times putting QLD under pressure and did nothing on attack it was all GI.....not a QLD'r.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4