Slater has 'get-out' clause

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
BILLY Slater will be the next high-profile NRL player to explore a switch to French rugby after it was revealed last night he has a get-out clause to leave Melbourne.

In the wake of Mark Gasnier's French defection, Slater looms as the next superstar to be targeted by the cashed-up European rugby clubs.

Slater has missed this year's deadline to enact the clause but is not restricted from getting out of the final two years of his contract in 2009 and 2010.

The clause allows him out of his Melbourne deal if he receives an offer from rugby union or England's Super League.

Slater's manager George Mimis would not confirm the clause, but said it was his duty to look after Slater's interests.

"Given everything, in order to do our job and to properly reap the best interests of our client, we would be naive not to explore options when the time is appropriate,'' he said.

The possible loss of Slater is enough to set off alarm bells around the NRL. His contract was registered in April last year and prompted the NRL to move in and refuse to register further contracts that contain the same clause.

"That is one of the last ones of those types of contract,'' NRL chief executive David Gallop said. "In the past 12 months we have told the clubs that we don't accept that clause.''

But some players still do have the controversial clause. League's latest drama began two months ago when it was revealed a get-out clause had been controversially inserted into Gasnier's contract at St George Illawarra.

Gasnier since exercised the clause to take up a $1million-a-season offer with French rugby giants Stade Francais.

Suddenly, in the wake of Gasnier's get-out, French rugby became a viable option for the game's top players.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron brushed off suggestions Slater is in danger of leaving the club. "There is no happier man in Melbourne than Billy Slater, as I understand,'' Waldron said.

"I am not worried about it. I am not worried about the constant crap with the media speculation about the downside of our game. I'm sick to death of it. We should be celebrating the great players in our game.''

Who might soon be going to France.

Slater, currently the form back of the competition, was widely mentioned as an ideal French target following the stunning revelation that Gasnier was leaving the NRL. Storm teammates Greg Inglis and Israel Folau were also mentioned as ideal targets for the cashed-up French rugby clubs, providing considerable concern.

That speculation now appears set to be visited next season. While no offer has yet been made, it is absurd to think that Slater will not receive interest now that French rugby has been awoken to the NRL talent pool.

Slater and Mimis are all too aware of their activation date, with Mimis already forewarning interest. The whirlwind that surrounded Gasnier these past few months will undoubtedly resurface around Slater next season.

By this time next year Gasnier will have a season of French rugby behind him, awakening more French rugby clubs to NRL talent.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24061619-5006066,00.html

Aaaahahahahahahaha....welcome back to the Australian jersey Stewie.
See ya Slater you filthy, head stomping, fight creating, weazly pussy piece of **** !

Best piece of news I have heard this year. Break a leg Billy, actually break anything you steaming pile of elephant ****.

I agree this oxygen thief is a prick of the highest order - F**k off to France Slater you cock smoker

I heard that he is trying to fight the grading of his contrary conduct charge. The little turd ran into be part of the brawl. It's not like he was standing there & the fight started around him. I hope they double whatever the judiciary gives him but then again he is News Ltd property so he will probably get off.

How ****ed, Slater has successfully had his charge downgraded, only misses 1 week.

**** I hope we smash these ****s

clontaago link said:
How F**ked, Slater has successfully had his charge downgraded, only misses 1 week.

F**k I hope we smash these c**ts

Ill second that i hope we smash the ****s at Brookie. Lets hope the likes of Perry and Matai smash him Billy the kid please lol should be Billy the wank i am ;D

clontaago link said:
How F**ked, Slater has successfully had his charge downgraded, only misses 1 week.

F**k I hope we smash these c**ts

I told you above that the little turd would have a win against the grading only I thought that he'd probably get off because of his protected species status as a News Ltd piece of property in a News Ltd run company.

I agree with you too. I hope that we smash them.

we wont be melbourne and if we do it will be the greatest effort in the history of the game
the penalty count will be somthing like 8-2 melbourne
we will have several trys disallowed
and someone sent of for look at slatter the wrong way

good isnt the NEWSLITMED Rugby League a great comp lads.

LOL, apparently Nightingale headbutting was what provoked the germ into letting them go while 3 of his mates halped him.

Surprised Nightingale didn't get suspended for headbutting Billys knuckles

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4