Site Migration IMPORTANT

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Right,

So welcome to all out new members, I hope you are enjoying the site, and are feeling welcome.

You are probably aware that the performance of this site is less than ideal, and this is due to several factors, both the host and some of the scripting involved in having these forums heavily integrated.

Whilst the new host WILL fix these issues, the potential is always there for it to blow out and cause larger scale issues with resources down the track.

As such I will be migrating the forums to a solution called "Kunena" these are still fairly new forums but the front end features are all pretty much the same.

During the move there is going to be downtime for us all, and the time with vary depending on your ISP, some will have immediate access and some will take 24 hours to get over to the new site.

I will set up another forum for temp use at one of my other sites and direct people there.

Besides the natural downtime that goes with domain propagation, there I will also be shutting the forums on this site down for approximately 5 - 10 hours leading up to the migration. I need to shut the site down so that I can get a snapshot of the latest data, move it across and then import it into the new system (we are going with fresh installs here rather than old data that is holding us back)

Now there is going to be a learning curve for all of us with the new forums, and there are bound to be bugs, I will need your help to report any and to keep us moving.

Finally for the members of the tipping comp, I will be moving the site probably on Tuesday night next week, that should allow the entire site to move for everyone by Friday, so you can still enter your tips etc.

Oh also this means that for a while the forums will not be available via the m.silvertails.net domain for mobile devices. This is because there is no support for WAP on the new forum software.

Don't worry, I will be working on this and down the track we will have that back, as it is something even i use almost daily.

So important dates

Site Move: Tuesday 22nd June 2010
Site closes: 3PM

Site re-opens....who knows?

Worst comes to worst we will be simply staying with this forum setup whilst I fix any kinks.

There are also going to be some display issues

Anyway wish me luck

Good luck Dan.  I'm glad you know what you are doing.

hey dan you can always keep us informed on facebook too.  & good luck...

Sounds impressive. I'm a big fan of the Kunena platform :p

Good luck with it, hope it goes as smoothly as a Brett Stewart line break and doesn't end up a disaster like an Orford Monaghan attacking raid.

Yeah good idea about facebook and twitter.

I will setup a temp forum for the few days we are down as well so we can all keep talking about Manly :)

Dan, all I can say is i'm glad it's you and not me. Bit of work ahead of you buddy?
I do appreciate your commitment though.

i have had 2 nights up until 1 just preparing and am not out of the woods yet. Still need to finish moving some things across

And that's a LOT of missed sex ;)
Oh, that's right...he's married....;)

How many times DOES 15 seconds go into 48 hours though bro???

Hehehehe

Ryan link said:
And that's a LOT of missed sex ;)
Oh, that's right...he's married....;)

How many times DOES 15 seconds go into 48 hours though bro???

Hehehehe

At least it will give the callouses on his hands time to heal up :)

Good luck Danners. 

If you need any help give me a yell.

I have quite a bit of migration experience being an ex pom.

Cheers - Jerry

Jerry1 link said:

Cheers - Jerry

After reading the post above yours mate - I started getting REALLY worried at your reply after the 1st sentence.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=183631.msg267428#msg267428 date=1276850703]

Cheers - Jerry

After reading the post above yours mate - I started getting REALLY worried at your reply after the 1st sentence.
[/quote]

YOU were worried....what about me? :0

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4