Siro & Winterstein

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I, like many others are a little disappointed and perplexed at the lack of big impact so far from Siro and Winterstein. But in this I suspect we may be missing a part of the bigger picture.

I would not at all be surprised if they have both done exactly what Baz has asked them to do ... and that is concentrate on keeping the teams shape/structure in defence. As the edge forwards, their positioning in the defensive line is crucial to link the middle with the outside ... if they are late to the line or missing, bad sh11t happens.

After 12 months of changing personnel and a resultant lack of defensive cohesion, I believe they have done the job asked of them and that is to concentrate on defence and keep our line in tact, and let attack come as it will.

PS. Neither have played many 80 min games in the pigs until this season and will be better for the run.

I, like many others are a little disappointed and perplexed at the lack of big impact so far from Siro and Winterstein. But in this I suspect we may be missing a part of the bigger picture.

I would not at all be surprised if they have both done exactly what Baz has asked them to do ... and that is concentrate on keeping the teams shape/structure in defence. As the edge forwards, their positioning in the defensive line is crucial to link the middle with the outside ... if they are late to the line or missing, bad sh11t happens.

After 12 months of changing personnel and a resultant lack of defensive cohesion, I believe they have done the job asked of them and that is to concentrate on defence and keep our line in tact, and let attack come as it will.

PS. Neither have played many 80 min games in the pigs until this season and will be better for the run.
I hope sirro picks it up a level to be honest... Saw his dad talk at a function last year, the main point he made about his kid was that he was miserable at the tigs because taylor told him to cut the ball skill stuff out of his game and just run and tackle... Play basic...
Huge mistake if barrett has gone and done the same thing

I hope sirro picks it up a level to be honest... Saw his dad talk at a function last year, the main point he made about his kid was that he was miserable at the tigs because taylor told him to cut the ball skill stuff out of his game and just run and tackle... Play basic...
Huge mistake if barrett has gone and done the same thing

Wouldn't think Baz has, just a case of concentrate on getting our shape right before going for the hail mary plays. I'm sure he will have a licence to back himself as the season progresses.

That assumes an awful lot re Baz lol. I hope you are right
I would tend to think Bozo has had something to do with the defence structure. Not hands on, but perhaps he has provided technical influence.

The halfwits on here bagging Bozo forget that he coached some of the most brutally structured defensive patterns the game has seen.
He turned sh1t to gold from '93 on the back of building a defensive structure to close down opposition teams. But Bozo is a clown right :shake:

That assumes an awful lot re Baz lol. I hope you are right
I would tend to think Bozo has had something to do with the defence structure. Not hands on, but perhaps he has provided technical influence.

The halfwits on here bagging Bozo forget that he coached some of the most brutally structured defensive patterns the game has seen.
He turned sh1t to gold from '93 on the back of building a defensive structure to close down opposition teams. But Bozo is a clown right :shake:

Whether Bozo or Baz, I suspect my suspicions regarding their instructions are in all probability roughly close to near the mark by rule of thumb.

And if I am correct that they have done the job asked of them ... they will keep their jobs for as long as they continue doing it.

I have not been as disappointed in Siro as most have. Looking at his game he seems to be getting the basics right and choosing when to play his hand.

There was a great pass on Saturday and another one against Parra. Much prefer that he only throws it when it is on rather than the low percentage plays, kind of the opposite to what Mateo did. As the combinations improve you would expect a few more offloads etc. A few times he could have pushed the pass but chose to hold it.

Watching the game last night on replay he ran hard and tackled hard. He missed a few tackles (4) but 2 of those were Ponga stepping around him on but into DCE (he missed him but the team defence did not).

Would like to see a bit more out of him but then he gets in the way of Tafua/Uate or the centre guys as that is our game plan at the moment.

Winterstein I have been less impressed with, Saturday was easily his best game for us though and that is the base level he should be at. I would play Bainbridge above him if possible (but I think the kid looks the goods for 19). Once we are back at full strength I feel he drops out for Marty and as a depth player I think he is going ok, just not as good as a starting first grader. He has speed but his lines are off and don't exploit that well.

Just dont see room for both as the year progresses. Myles, marty can both switch back to accomodate a full squad if it ever happens and bainbridge looks likey as a workhorse . Sirro seems most likey to get the nod, but he does have some skills that would suit a bench player

Im not saying they are not doing a job but im not so sure about this structure thing. Every man has to hold structue, and be part of a line. They obviously did a job and wont detract from that.

We just need more work out of those key positions

Keep saying it, but I have a better chance of being put in the 2nd row than Marty.

Just dont see room for both as the year progresses. Myles, marty can both switch back to accomodate a full squad if it ever happens and bainbridge looks likey as a workhorse . Sirro seems most likey to get the nod, but he does have some skills that would suit a bench player

Im not saying they are not doing a job but im not so sure about this structure thing. Every man has to hold structue, and be part of a line. They obviously did a job and wont detract from that.

We just need more work out of those key positions

We do need more work out of them you are 100% correct. I believe that will come. What we needed more after last year is cohesion, structure and shape. I think that is Baz's first priority ... the 20 other things we need will follow.

Agree with the call Woodsie.
Also expected more of a ball playing role from Sironen who has plenty of offload and at the line skills....feel Barrett had him playing more direct and safe early and these skills will grow through the season.
A big part of say a Feleti Mate who is a great ball playing forward....is they can tend to built a habit of playing too sideways .... direct is always best even for the skilful forwards....the space tends to be found by building off that simple platform of direct footy.

Sirro has been slowly upping the ante. Winnerstein looks a bit noel clealish to me without the game breaker. He lurks a bit too much for me

Our structure has been better and yes it needs to be the first step. Defence always shapes teams

Back in the day when bozo was in charge and manly was a vault. I remember an article or interview. He said structure is very important and thats been so easy at manly as they just happen to have a lot of players that love to tackle and are very good at it.

We had ridgey, toovey, des, tezza and innes. These guys just in the backs were full on competitors as wel, as defensive machines. Beaver , kosef, cunningham, cement. Just a lot of guys that love to tackle and gave 100% on every play. That is also a key ingredient

Whether Bozo or Baz, I suspect my suspicions regarding their instructions are in all probability roughly close to near the mark by rule of thumb.

And if I am correct that they have done the job asked of them ... they will keep their jobs for as long as they continue doing it.
Maybe, I am not on the Lane love fest yet, but I see him as first pick second rower. Maybe not this week, but long term.
And no I don't see his 37 second cameo last week as the basis for saying this. I know he was recruited for bigger things than an impact bench player.
Once his match fitness improves and he fully recovers from injury, he is a LOCK IN for the backrow. Lock it in Woodsie!

Maybe, I am not on the Lane love fest yet, but I see him as first pick second rower. Maybe not this week, but long term.
And no I don't see his 37 second cameo last week as the basis for saying this. I know he was recruited for bigger things than an impact bench player.
Once his match fitness improves and he fully recovers from injury, he is a LOCK IN for the backrow. Lock it in Woodsie!

I think we have 4 genuine contenders for the 2nd row in Siro, Winterstein, Lane and Bainbridge and I am sure all will get plenty of time. I don't really have any favourites or emotional investment in any one of them at this stage other than for Billy the "boy from Brookie" as a local.

Let the best man win, justing saying that consistency and formation will be high on Baz/bozo's agenda.

PS. ( 37 seconds, Bahaha. If we reduce Lanky Lane's cameo time any further he will not have even had time to run on.)

PS. ( 37 seconds, Bahaha. If we reduce Lanky Lane's cameo time any further he will not have even had time to run on.)
Ha Ha I am waiting for someone to correct with the official time he was on....but you got my drift hey, Mind you, that break and inside pass against tiring defence, was all class. Watch it again. I haven't seen a more polished play by Manly for 12 months. I was expected an ill directed pass or go yourself brain explosion TBH....or perhaps the kick for yourself lol

They've proven their worth to me and if/when Marty returns to second row one should be beside him and one on the bench rotation.

Best second rowers make 130-150+ metres a game and look for the ball. If Siro is more of a ball player perhaps he needs be given the opportunity to do what he does best - don't think he will do it as well as gifty but would be happy if we got close! Frankestein just doesnt seem to want the ball enough for mine. A second rower must be right up the top of our priorities for next year... there are a few on the market, Wade Graham would be my number one target. Or Nelson Asofa Solomona!

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10