SILVERTAILS' TEAM ... NOW PICK YOUR #14 ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
14 is an interesting role, you want someone who can seamlessly cover for an injury in a key position, but equally you want someone who can come on and make an impact even if no-one is injured.
Jamie Buhrer is nearly the perfect 14 to cover for injury, and to provide impact how about Ray Brown, Phil Blake or Frank Stokes?
However, back to reality, Des is a standout for the role in this side. Brilliant pace, hard and energetic, and amazing versatility. And that hair. Has to be Des!

Some others have shared some convincing ideas for various players but I am going to have to stick with the first name that popped into my head upon reading the OP and choose DES.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nik Kosef! Another player whose career was cruelly ended prematurely by injury. Could cover most positions on the field and a great player!

I looked at this particular position in the contest of for instance a best perceived last 50 years Manly side opposed to best 50 year Roosters or Saints sides or Dogs or Eels and they would have pretty competitive line ups as well . Then who may be the best bench utility to make the most difference and best ability to break a game open . Anyway all subjective and interesting and Woodsie has done well putting it all together .

Dale Shearer because he should be in the team and would be a star at fullback, wing or centre, and would make a great running 5/8 if needed.

We have coverage of the forwards with the rest of the bench; what we don’t have is someone who can be a star anywhere in the backline.

Shearer was a natural footballer.

Many great thoughts for the #14 spot ... and there is no correct answer .. all suggestions would do the job ... but Dessie seems to have the most support ... so he is in ...

but Dessie seems to have the most support
Just did the maths - of the 40 votes submitted:

23 votes for Des
3 votes each for Martin & Shearer
2 votes each for DCE & Blake
1 vote each for Kosef, Turbo, Foran, Matai, Snake, Cochrane & T-Rex

I don't know if we're picking a coach but if Des is chosen he will have to coach from the bench instead of from his usual eyrie. Player-coach just like country football.

I don't know if we're picking a coach but if Des is chosen he will have to coach from the bench instead of from his usual eyrie. Player-coach just like country football.

Poll now open ... and both Dessie and Fulton would be player coaches if chosen ...

If we had to move a centre, we would be fine I reckon as you'd put Beaver in the centres and not lose much.

I am choosing Snake because 1) he would cause carnage if given the opportunity to sniff around the middle late in games, 2) can ball play if asked, 3) as Bozo says, speed kills and 4) if we are choosing a Best of the Last 50 Years team, he absolutely deserves to be there.
I think @Woodsie will add the 4 next best players that polled a lot of votes in their positions but ran second to make up our 18 man squad, so if he does then snake who was in a two man race with Eadie would make the side.

Many great thoughts for the #14 spot ... and there is no correct answer .. all suggestions would do the job ... but Dessie seems to have the most support ... so he is in ...
I disagree. My choice - Snake - had a "tremendous" amount of votes. He won. He won in a landslide. This was a landslide!

[This is my go to now whenever my choice doesn't win the vote]

I personally think DCE should have been halfback ahead of Toovey, so I’ll pick him as my 14.
Me too

Think sentiment around him blocks a lot of peoples vision about him as a player, including some of our fans.

Feel for the bloke a bit, he just isn't a 'rugby league knob' like many others... actually courteous and polite, but I guess can come off as trying too hard / fake when speaking publicly and everyone dislikes him.

For me I'd have; 1. Snake 7 DCE 14 Toovey
Eadie on wing

Des always did the job in defence and attack
He also had great speed . I remember one try from a scrum inside our quarter where he got the ball and exploded 70 metres and scored untouched against the roosters .
He was a bundle of non stop energy, tenacious, resilient as well as brilliant .

Me too

Think sentiment around him blocks a lot of peoples vision about him as a player, including some of our fans.

Feel for the bloke a bit, he just isn't a 'rugby league knob' like many others... actually courteous and polite, but I guess can come off as trying too hard / fake when speaking publicly and everyone dislikes him.

For me I'd have; 1. Snake 7 DCE 14 Toovey
Eadie on wing
In my opinion (and it's only opinion I guess), Toovey doesn't even come close to DCE. DCE has him covered comfortably in most areas of the halfback role.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4