Silvertails - A Subjective History

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
In order to correct the misinformation that is being peddle around concerning so-called 'Rebel' sites on the Rockers thread in general discussion on MSE, what follows is a short history: (If you hate long posts – get out now!!!!)

Mid 2004: A few posters on OEE (none who knew each other) got sick of the crap from a ‘fruitloop’ poster and a new site was formed by Zaphod. As a result Alternate Eagles was formed. This had nothing to do with ME (or MSE as it has now become!) A mixture of supporters joined the new site, some whom remain today whilst others drifted away as the site was not to their taste.

Around the same time Manly suffered its worst defeat ever at Penrith and fans who vented their dissatisfaction on the Club site were castigated by others for not being True Supporters! Several were banned from MSE for expressing their displeasure.

Later polarisation occurred due to the ironic laughter and jest associated with the poor form of Jye Mullane. Basically Jye was a joke and did not play well, (though later it was revealed he had knee trouble.) Once dropped though he never played first grade again. Some of the long term supporters resented AE posters saying that Jye's form was bad despite it being clearly evident to all, both inside and outside the club. Much of the banter was fun and ironic.

In 2005 a little bit of TV exposure of the Fortress Brookvale sign helped the profile though Igor the Eagle was castigated on game day by Football manager for displaying the banner (due to Alternate Eagles being written in small print). T he domain name was changed to Silvertails during the season. Several in the group made a very late submission to the club regarding the clubs Website Design and Marketing of membership. Despite only having two weeks against the many months from the ultimate winner of the contract, it is interesting that many aspects of the proposal have been incorporated by the club. Some criticism of the poor form of Jason King and a call to make BK captain were again seen as disloyalty by the ‘True Believers’. (It now turns out that Des wanted BK as captain in 205 but he declined!!!)

Sadly some of the long-term Rockers and a small group of Manly supporters continue to resent the newer forum and its posters, all of who had been around for ages individually on the Mighty Eagles site. A few were accused of being anti-Manly etc and so it has developed. Some on this forum responded and so silly forum spats developed, mainly on MSE.

As a result of another spat The Manly Gang site developed, to change its name to White Stripe Supporters. Again this group was seen as a ‘rebel’ site by some, though many of the old General discussion regulars went with them.

My contention is that greater inclusiveness from the supposed ‘original’ supporters and a less heavy-handed approach on the club’s official forums could have avoided all this. This site was told that it could not use the Manly logo and was given a generally hard time by the club, though One Eyed Eagle and the Rockers did not seem to have the same restrictions placed on them.

Despite this, two independent sites (with forums) have developed, each with committed and enthusiastic Manly supporters running them. Each has its own style and features. The club remains somewhat paranoid of two of them, fearing that they might become something like the Kennel or the Burrow! The name Silvertail.net is even a banned expression on the MSE forum!

A small minority with long memories and rather ‘thin skin’ continue to keep the ‘True Supporter debate alive. As footy is meant to be fun and enjoyable it is time for them to get over their petty jealousies, agree to coexist and face up to reality that each site has it own adherents, its own style and that they all support Manly.

It is also important to note that no ST mods or posters (to my knowledge) are currently banned from MSE though some choose not to post due to the 'fight' that tends to follow any post and also the fact that unless one supports the party line it is seen as being disloyal.

All Manly supporters are welcome at this site which exists for the enjoyment of supporting the club.

spoofhead will continue to peddle his own history it is his belief and nothing will change it. I dont see why we should care.

I think I'm banned from MSE but the club still takes the membership money from me and my three boys.

everyone should be unbanned now i believe.

everyone should be unbanned now i believe.
Since when?

Thing is, those clowns allege we go in there under other names. I could use the membership number of any of my 3 boys to go back legitimately.

I have better things to do than discuss how wonderful Monaghan's latest hair tints are.

since friday last week.

Yeah I am still dumbfounded that they believe I have other names. My name there is Danny, once it was banned I didnt even visit until I was told I was no longer banned

there was no-one left on the site to post!

Not sure their exact reasons I think since the offseason is over they assume there will be more football talk and as such less bickering and crap

A nice reminiscence CW. I felt myself misting up at the memory of the Mullaniacs.

Hopefully this "forum war" crap will disappear when the footy season starts in earnest.

A nice reminiscence CW. I felt myself misting up at the memory of the Mullaniacs.

Hopefully this \"forum war\" crap will disappear when the footy season starts in earnest.

The mullaniacs still survive........

A rose by any other name

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
I was number 16!!!

Does anyone know where Jye went for season 2006?

There was talk of his return to Cronulla - not sure if that eventuated though.
[/quote]
He is not mentioned on their website at all!

I guess they'll be needing extra security at Shark Park when the play they Bulldogs.

Mullane and his scud missiles will be lethal!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4