Should Mat Johns be stood down from the footy show?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The thrust of the comments here are about media hypocrisy, double standards, and habitually simplistic, black-and-white, sensationalised knee-jerk thinking.

Matty Johns says it was all consensual, the teenager's reported comments don't support this. The police not proceeding in these type of circumstances is typically for any number of reasons. In the cool light of day it is up to Matty to reflected on whether he would want his daughter treated the way he treated her, and if not, what this implies.

It's all OK, Fatty patted him on the back and told him "well said" last night. That must mean that there is nothing in it.

I assume the allegation is that mistreatment of women is an established part of league culture. If true (and somehow I don't doubt it) it should be exposed.

I reckon Johns is gone. It will be very interesting to see if the story dies down, or spreads and claims more high-profile scalps. 

I might try to catch the ABC program tomorrow - although the real story might come out bit by bit over the following days/weeks?? My bet is there are plenty of anxious league men, upstanding family blokes one and all, hoping their names are not brought up. Happy mother s day.

Apparently this young lady was quite well known to a lot of the truckies that used to stop off at the hotel as well ...

weev link said:
Hang on, what's his crime... consensual sex?

Gruesome to imagine - granted -  but far from illegal.

good point Weev,
sorry i should have clarified i wasn't trying to imply that what he did was illegal (it wasn't) or immoral (it was but thats his wifes problem), I was trying to make the point that the footy show, and the media at large (such as the DT) can make a total scape goat out of one high profile player (stewie, currently innocent of any charge), whilst another high profile ex-player gets "looked after" and has an entire channels spin doctors working overtime to protect their star recruit.

:D

Matabele link said:
It gives Reg Reagan a sinister new edge.

Exactly what i was thinking Matabele.
Alot of what a comedian does (the persona that immoral johns portrays) is reliant on a humourous interpretation of real life situations and the inherent irony they contain. It will be interesting to see if this forces him to either tone down his characters (thus causing them to become crap) or if he moves away from comedy and lets somebody else headline that area of the show.

Also agree with Berkley eagle, Ikin is the new most annoying voice on TV, I particularly detest the way he always awarded all 3 daly m points to the winners if they were a QLD team.

Canteen Worker link said:
Funny that Danny Weasel comes to his defence with the 'true' story in the Sun Herald!!!
  You should send it into Media Watch and point out their shared employer.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=180326.msg222172#msg222172 date=1241962649]
Funny that Danny Weasel comes to his defence with the 'true' story in the Sun Herald!!!
  You should send it into Media Watch and point out their shared employer.
[/quote]

funny or another example of how Ch9 are just as sick as News Ltd.

from SMH (11.5.09)
Ferguson also questioned why the earlier Cronulla incident did not attract much publicity or action. "I think we all agree that is quite extraordinary in this case that such an event somehow managed to evade discussion at the time."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/nrl-braces-for-a-bad-news-day/2009/05/10/1241893849333.html

The matter was dealt with no charges laid so move on and get on with stuff. My problem is that it has come up after 7 years, the media jumps on it as they did Stewarts matter. Fatty gives JOHNS the oppurtunity to have his say and then pats him on the back saying good job. He has been very critical ofstewart.But no so critical of his good mate, I'm sure fatty was aware of this situation and that it had occured.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
The only person Johns has to answer to is his wife. Everyone should mind their own business imo

actually your completely wrong about that.
He gave up his right to not be answerable to the public when he became a public figure, held in high regard by the general public.

Whether you like it or not this is the same logic that has been used to essentially judge stewart (in the court of public opinion).

The thread was merely to point out the complete lack of consistency between what we expect from some (deceny, respect to women) and not others (i.e. media led counter campaign that implies Johns as "victim").

DailyTerrorgraphHater link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180326.msg222243#msg222243 date=1242017175]
The only person Johns has to answer to is his wife. Everyone should mind their own business imo

actually your completely wrong about that.
He gave up his right to not be answerable to the public when he became a public figure, held in high regard by the general public.

Whether you like it or not this is the same logic that has been used to essentially judge stewart (in the court of public opinion).

The thread was merely to point out the complete lack of consistency between what we expect from some (deceny, respect to women) and not others (i.e. media led counter campaign that implies Johns as "victim").
[/quote]

So what you are saying is, that because he plays in the NRL, he is not allowed to have sex ? He has broken no law, and has not done anything to harm the public, the only bond he has broken is the one he made to his wife, and that is why he is answerable to her, and her alone. Had he stolen a car, or punched people etc, totally different story.
Not to mention the fact that it happened 7 years ago, and at that time he was not the high profile public figure that he is today

Kiwi Eagle link said:
The only person he has to answer to is himself.  He will however bear consequences from others' changed treatment of him.

Kiwi, putting aside the law (which has little/nothing to do with justice), can you conceive that he may have done harm in his actions, outside of harm to his direct selfish interests eg wife, friends, family, reputation?

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180326.msg222243#msg222243 date=1242017175]

I do miss the clapping emoticon.

You will have to trust me on that KE.

[/quote]

Here's some you can use Jatz

clap.gif

claply7.gif

clapping.gif

[img=400x300]http://punxter.com/pics/G/LTLQ.gif[/img]

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6