Seibold Selection Surprises - 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Select Jake & Tom as co captains. This is unlikely to happen, but it would take pressure off DCE & also make him more accountable (maybe less wrong options).

Actually, I think Tom has the attributes to be the best captain, but he needs to spend more time on the field to fulfill this role.

Select Jake & Tom as co captains. This is unlikely to happen, but it would take pressure off DCE & also make him more accountable (maybe less wrong options).

Actually, I think Tom has the attributes to be the best captain, but he needs to spend more time on the field to fulfill this role.
Tom strikes me as not wanting anything to do with the captaincy. Jake is basically doing it already, without having to talk to the refs. No real need for a change this year.

Tom strikes me as not wanting anything to do with the captaincy.
I've noticed that Tom is very much a leader on the field, although he may not like talking off field too much. Jake considers captaining Manly a great honour & has loved the captaincy opportunities he's been given thus far.

DCE is the veteran in the squad and is looked up to by all players. However, as the best player in the team, Turbo might command even more respect.

My problem with DCE as captain is
a. He doesn't appear to lead by example when the chips are down (doesn't inspire the troops)
b. Under pressure, he is regularly flustered and can make wrong decisions. Often he tends to try for a flashy play rather than a sensible play which will keep the team in the grind.
c. He seems to lack passion & is not too bothered when the team loses.

Others may have different opinions about DCE's leadership.

I've noticed that Tom is very much a leader on the field, although he may not like talking off field too much. Jake considers captaining Manly a great honour & has loved the captaincy opportunities he's been given thus far.

DCE is the veteran in the squad and is looked up to by all players. However, as the best player in the team, Turbo might command even more respect.

My problem with DCE as captain is
a. He doesn't appear to lead by example when the chips are down (doesn't inspire the troops)
b. Under pressure, he is regularly flustered and can make wrong decisions. Often he tends to try for a flashy play rather than a sensible play which will keep the team in the grind.
c. He seems to lack passion & is not too bothered when the team loses.

Others may have different opinions about DCE's leadership.
I agree with all of this but I still think DCE is our best option as far as talking to refs and calling captains challenges. Jake and Tom can and do still play significant leadership roles without the C next to their name.

He has a good right shoulder but sometimes struggles when his opposite gets to his outside. Easy to hide it on the wing, not so easy at centre.
We have not seen Garrick play centre to establish this right shoulder defensive weakness

I certainly have not seen any evidence of it when he played on the wing

We have not seen Garrick play centre to establish this right shoulder defensive weakness

I certainly have not seen any evidence of it when he played on the wing
Right is strong (inside shoulder). It's his left that's suspect. You don't see it often because he is defending on the left sideline.

IMO A captain should be the best motivator of a team
and not necessarily the best player in the team

IMO A captain should be the best motivator of a team and not necessarily the best player in the team
Who do you think is the best motivator for the Sea Eagles? Maybe Jake? I've given reasons in a post above why I don't think DCE fulfills this role.

Last edited:
Who do you think is the best motivator for the Sea Eagles? Maybe Jake? I've given reasons in a post above why I don't think DCE fulfills this role.
Last season when we needed a player to show leadership and lead our flat track bullies team out of their shell I did not see any

Jake is a hard worker and leads by example but has not been able to lead and lift his team because no one seems to follow his lead

DCE is a great team spokesman but he has not been able to spark any resurgence to lift his team

There is a B Kenedy thread on here and we all have memories in the way he lifted his team
No one in our current squad comes near him

Parker a bench forward, only in an emergency Al. We have a big pool of ready made 2nd rowers to pick from, and all ready to go. I know I'm on the outer about sticking with Parker in the centres. But, by the look of it centre has already been promised to Garrick anyways.
Not sure if there is presently that good an array of 2 nd rowers available and up to speed . Obviously Oloka - atu in the top bracket , Tuilagi hopefully can be a consistent good performer . Burbo still a bit to go yet to be at that required higher level . No idea with Condon if he is being considered there and if he could offer something worthwhile , Bulemor hardly consistent there last season but put in a couple of good efforts . So just in regard to bench options , Walker gone , Lawton out for a while yet , need two props but for the other two spots [ or at least one ] need some degree of versatility . Maybe Weekes if he can not make the run on side , Parker could at least cover outside backs , back row . But agree could still figure as a centre option with Koula . Still a bit mystified with the speculation of the Garrick centre suggestion , not to say that he is not capable of playing there . Just if it would be the best fit for the side and when he has already established himself as a very capable wing and to a lesser extent , full back option .

Not sure. Let’s hope he picks the best team and has the courage to make changes when needed. In making changes you do not want a coach that is too reactive though but not as rigid as Des appeared to be at times.

Not sure. Let’s hope he picks the best team and has the courage to make changes when needed. In making changes you do not want a coach that is too reactive though but not as rigid as Des appeared to be at times.
I hope trial form matters this season

Players go into those games after having busted their guts training in the off season and hoping to impress

Nothing more deflating for a player to perform well in a trial and not get a look in

The Legendary Manly Jersey should not owned by any player but only leased to the best performing Sea eagle each week

I remember in Ben Kennedy’s earlier days at the club, watching him ( when we were struggling ) grab the ball , charge up into the line , and either break through or almost break through , and looking back at his forwards screaming at them to follow him!!

Or conversely, in defence making a big tackle and then screaming at his team to follow suit.

Never seen a more motivational leader in my time watching the Sea Eagles.

I remember in Ben Kennedy’s earlier days at the club, watching him ( when we were struggling ) grab the ball , charge up into the line , and either break through or almost break through , and looking back at his forwards screaming at them to follow him!!

Or conversely, in defence making a big tackle and then screaming at his team to follow suit.

Never seen a more motivational leader in my time watching the Sea Eagles.

And just retired gracefully into the mist ..... no hanging on to fame .. or becoming a rent-a-qoute .. . just disappeared .... rumoured to be living with Matai in a commune as acolytes to @Budgie

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4