Section 7 Row "A"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Section 7 Row "A"

[quote author=Corso_Pete]
[quote author=Nutzcraw]

Considering rugby league is played pre-dominantly in only NSW and QLD, why not send at least one of the 2 trials up here!!

Manly are playing a trial in Rockhampton this year, as they did last year and the year before they played a trial on the Gold Coast.

[/quote]

true but the squad they send is not choc full of NRL players like we get in the main trials.
[/quote]

Thank you garts!!

This is clearly what i meant!

Section 7 Row "A"

P.S - From where i am (not far from the gold coast), it is probably closer for me to travel to manly than rockhampton..

Rockhampton is ages away from me!!

Yes, i know they will not come to a place specifically for me

Section 7 Row "A"

The game in the country has been withering on the vine since the Supergreed farce. The CRL has tried valiantly but has had little support at the professional level. (Clubs are too interested in themselves and are too happy to take the talent and give little.)

As a kid in the country I dreamed of going to see Manly and it was the best experience of my young life at 10 for my grandfather to take me to the SCG (in the members stand) to see the Sea Eagles play Souths in a major semi. We lost but it made me an Eagle for life - the next time I got back was in the 80s, over 10 years later but the initial experience had me hooked. Seeing the country divisional games was good but there was nothing like seeing the big time guys up close, instead of on black and white telly!!

For my grandfather to move to Harbord and take on Manly as his team was the icing on the cake.

Never underestimate what a game in a town does for country footy. They are starved of it and need all the games they can get.

Dubbo for the Eagles would be sensational in 2007.

Agree 100%- and if the NRL don't give the CRL and that bludging fat over paid bastard who spends most of his time on junkets or in the bar no good journalist avoiding prick Terry Quinn a massive kick in the arse League will be lost to plenty of areas as kids choose other sports which are doing plenty like AFL and union.
Or in turn they just won't play.
Teams are disappearing left right and centre and the state of league in major centres such as Wagga is a shambles with the major rugby league ground Eric Weissel Oval set to turn into a white elephant.
Corso Pete I can understand u wanting to see as many games at brookie as possible but seriously - if the bush don't get the games, league will gradually continue to whither away as it is now and a few years down the track it will sadly be a case of I told you so when the NRL wakes up to themselves and see's that sitting on ones hands does nothing!

Section 7 Row "A"

when I say 'league will continue to wither away' I'm talking about league in the bush...but that will ultimately translate into problems for league in general- if people can't see that they have rocks in their heads!

Section 7 Row "A"

PJ, I am selfish and I have admitted that. I have actually been to a number of country trials in recent years and I agree that the clubs involved get great support. I just want to see my team play in our backyard.

I am not sure that league will ever wither, it is a bit like a cockroach, you just can't kill it. In recent years RL officialdom, clubs and players have done their best to alienate supporters but to date it has survived Super League, rape allegations, drug cheats and allegations, salary cap rorts etc etc,

Section 7 Row "A"

Yeah- I can understand your point of view and would probably be just as selfish if I was still living in Sydney but to come back to the bush and see how everything as gone backwards, teams disappearing and losing the battle against other codes is sad.
You can't get much more whithered than clubs disappearing never to return (which is what happened to my local team last week).
All the kids in town are forced to play Aussie Rules now and thanks to the AFLs Auskick program and annual trips up here by AFL teams the code is thriving and league has lost this battle.

Section 7 Row "A"

When I was a kid (70s) League was unrivalled in the bush - heaps of players, clubs and great coverage (on the ABC on Saturdays).

Rugby has a much higher profile and the junior numbers in the bush have quantamly grown. AFL has moved in and both get heaps of free to air coverage as well as that on Pay TV. Soccer also continues to grow as mothers don't like Johnny getting his head smashed in.

Bottom line is smaller pool of players, which means less to pic your future stars from. There are less players in the bush than 20 years ago - smaller clubs are closing down and in some areas the game is in grave danger of being swallowed up the other sports.

Don't forget that about 50% of NRL players are from out of the Metro area.

What PJ says is true.

Section 7 Row "A"

I guess what I have poorly tried to say is that whilst I agree that league in the bush may die, the NRL will not, and being the selfish bastard that I am the care factor for the bush is low.

I know you will say that it will lessen the quality of the NRL because of lower number of players to darin from the gene pool to draw from but to me its a bit like if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a noise?. If that junior player goes to RU or AFL we will never know what sort of leaguie he would or could have been.

Section 7 Row "A"

I think there are a number of factors that determine where football is seen, and players drawn from. Ecenomic logistics, population mass, demographic etc etc.

Rugby League is currently in the process of expanding to The Gold Coast, with future prospects on the cards for within the next 7 years.

Whilst games sometimes aren't played at certain locations, I recall games being played in Western Australia, Country NZ etc etc last year.

Additionally, the players themselves get out and about throughout Australia.

There are programs and initiatives in the current NRL to subsidise certain crountry clubs etc.

I think a hell of a lot more is being done than some of you guys are giving the NRL credit for.

PS: I remember travelling to Albion Park!! for a trial....

Section 7 Row "A"

I have to disagree with that tree comparison...whole heartedly. It's not just the players not taking up the game that the NRL will miss, it's the marketing side, ticket sales and general support.
Parents and Grandparents who were once proud league supporters now following their grandchildren playing other sports and hence being good parents/ grandparents get behind that code- I really don't think you are looking at the big picture!

Section 7 Row "A"

I really don't think you are looking at the big picture!

I agree, I am not because my picture only involves Manly and winning premierships. As i said am selfish, that my not to be everyones liking but I am just giving you my honest personal view.

Section 7 Row "A"

bring back the b&s and league will live again in the bush

Section 7 Row "A"

You all suck. I'm going home for the weekend...Beers are cool...

Check ya!!!

Rysaaaa

Section 7 Row "A"

I can certainly empathise with Matabele. Trial matches in the country areas are very important. I was talking to a client of mine yesterday who lives in Gunnedah. He was very excited about last nights trial match against the Wests Tigers. This match alone was a huge event for the people of Gunnedah & neighbouring towns.

I'll be heading up to Gosford for the trial match against the Roo$ter$ . With no TV coverage , the trials are golden opportunities to assess our teams potential for the upcoming season.

Last season I was at the trial match at Leichhardt Oval ( yes , I can spell it correctly ) , when we watched the game in horizontal rain & a fierce electrical storm & then Ryan , Daniel & myself travelled down to Albion Park for the Dragons Trial Match. I'm sure the boys will agree , this was a very entertaining evening.

NRL 2006 ............. Bring it on !!
I'm over the cricket !

"Go the Pittsburgh Steelers "

Section 7 Row "A"

[quote author=CC]
I'm oh so keen.

But it means driving for 3-5 hours after my first week of University..
You can go home and have a surf etc whilst you are down!!!!! 8)
[/quote]

Here's hoping..

Trivia : It's also the day after my 19th.. 8)

Section 7 Row "A"

[quote author=CC]
I'm oh so keen.

Yeah, O week really takes it out of you doesn't it?

[/quote]

So my sources say yes :drunk: ;)

I'm hoping the Knights come for another visit!

Section 7 Row "A"

[quote author=Matabele]
[quote author=CC]
I'm oh so keen.

Yeah, O week really takes it out of you doesn't it?

[/quote]

So my sources say yes :drunk: ;)

I'm hoping the Knights come for another visit!
[/quote]

so you would like to be molested by a Knight

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8