Sea Eagles won’t make any money from 10 NRL games at Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/se...473162188?sv=db16a18c6d6f463cfe2e571790efe783

MANLY will fail to make a single cent from their 10 NRL games at Brookvale Oval.

Instead, the Sea Eagles are relying on “home” games at Gosford and Albury to keep the coffers filled as they continue to lose money at the spiritual — but ageing — home ground.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained figures that reveal the stark reality of the Brookvale Oval’s money pit:

* Manly outlay $125,000 for each home game this year;

* The Sea Eagles will only manage to break even from their 10 Brookvale games this season;

story-e6freuy9-1227473162188

* Manly lose money in seven Brookvale games and only make some cash in three;

* The biggest revenue ‘home” game for Manly this year was in round five against Canberra at Albury, where 6436 watched. It was also Manly’s smallest crowd of the season;

* Manly collected a profit of more than $100,000 at Gosford last weekend because there was no ground hire fee.

Before kick-off in each match, Manly have to outlay a whopping $45,000 for the ground hire fee from Warringah Council, plus ticketing fees ($20,000), security and staff ($30,000), screen hire, entertainment, production ($20,000) and cleaning ($10,000).

It’s a grand total of $125,000.

Manly are expected to attract a bumper home crowd of around 16,000 for Friday night’s big match against South Sydney.

That will swell the coffers by about $150,000, but take out all the fees and costs and Manly will pocket as little as $25,000.

Believe it or not, that is exactly the same profit Manly made from a trial game against Cronulla at Warringah Rugby Park — home of the Warringah Rats.

“From a benchmark point of view, the hiring fee is significantly higher than any other suburban ground,” Manly chief executive Joe Kelly said.

“We are certainly very keen to remain at the club’s spiritual home for the majority of our games. But we have to secure a better commercial deal than we currently have with council.”

More: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/se...473162188?sv=db16a18c6d6f463cfe2e571790efe783

Was this supposed to be journalism ?

Everyone has known for years Manly make no money from home games.

The council clearly wants Brookvale to fall into a worse state of disrepair. To become even more dilapidated. So they can sell what is prime land to a developer.

If someone at a State or Federal level doesn't grow a pair soon and realise this venue and Manly's role in the sporting fabric in this part of Sydney is crucial, then we are going to be playing out of some soulless tin can like Allianz.

I'm not advocating that Brookie remain as it is. I know many want to keep the suburban ground feel and I love it too, but the reality is, without something that is at least as "modern" as Bluetongue, we're always going to under pressure because our facilities will be deemed not up to scratch. At least if Brookie is upgraded, we will be playing at home geographically.

The club NEEDS the redevelopment. It can't keep bleeding money like this. If only someone with some clout would stop talking and start doing. This debate is getting really old.

Was this supposed to be journalism ?

Everyone has known for years Manly make no money from home games.

The council clearly wants Brookvale to fall into a worse state of disrepair. To become even more dilapidated. So they can sell what is prime land to a developer.
Not the Council's land - its owned by a Perpetual Trust for the benefit of the people of Manly Warringah

If we could get the costs down to $100K per game, that would leave us making break even with a crowd of around 13.5K

They won't sell off parkland like that for redevelopment.

This is just part of the IO campaign being waged by the private owners and their stooge (Kelly) to move the team to another venue.

Wasn't aware of that Terry.

But if they think moving Manly from Brookie will be a smart move, they're dumber than I thought they were.

Isn't there some rule that the football club has in place that they can't move ? I'm sure I read something to that effect in the recent release posted here.

If we played the chooks at the SFS n a Friday night we would probably get a decent crowd. I would be happy with that as long as enough Manly supporters went to the game to make it our home game and not the chooks.
Another game at Gosford is also ok by me, or even 3 games. If it means we stay viable then you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

They won't sell off parkland like that for redevelopment.

This is just part of the IO campaign being waged by the private owners and their stooge (Kelly) to move the team to another venue.

Yep it's just driving the wedge in a little deeper and setting us up for the big fall.

But if they think moving Manly from Brookie will be a smart move, they're dumber than I thought they were.

Isn't there some rule that the football club has in place that they can't move ? I'm sure I read something to that effect in the recent release posted here.
Yes there is. What I believe the owners are doing is trying to soften up enough Football Club members to the notion that the future at Brookvale is not financially sustainable - thus forcing a vote to change the constitution, to move the club elsewhere. Why would they rabbit on about wanting to upgrade the ground and then not countenance using the $10 million set aside by the Commonwealth?

Yesterday the DRLFC sent out a statement (someone has posted it on here), essentially reiterating the need to keep fighting the Penns' on this issue. This is the latter's latest response, via their preferred organ, the Bellylaugh.

Funny how there is no mention in the article about how the scheduling of games, coupled with the team's overall form, has impacted on revenue.

Now I know why they might want to move.

Brookie - fee per game $125,000
Gosford - fee per game $0

Warringah Council is gouging the club.
That's how it stands now but do you really think that if we moved a bunch of games up to Gosford on a permanent basis that Gosford Council would not start charging us a considerable fee?

Last edited:
Well @Dan you called it mate, and it's happening. Ghey. Who would be my local side then?

If they rellocate to The Central Coast, make it a new team specific to the Coast.

Central Coast Cobras or something.

If Manly isn't on The Northern Beaches, it ain't Manly, and I'll give up on the league all together, because i shure as hell wint support another team !

Agree that this stuff shouldn't be made public and no doubt it is put out there by someone to justify why the owners want to take games away from Brookie. No doubt the Penns are looking at the bottom line as they have heavily invested in the club.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place as the club should be very profitable especially with how successful we have been over the last decade. Judging by this article it's a backdoor way to let the public know what their intentions are.

Members don't get consulted directly and get kept in the dark yet again having to find out via the media. Very disappointing but for some reason not at all surprised.

How about announcing those signings you douche bags, having to go to other clubs websites to read signing news with regards to Manly is pathetic and unprofessional.

For those that keep saying we need to support management blah blah blah, communication and commitment is a two way street. Until they start conducting themselves in a professional manner then they won't get any support.

Didn't they get a new media manager? Wtf is his/her job role honestly? I'd love to get paid to do sweet FA all day. The amount of trash in the media about the club of late they should be the busiest person at the club trying to diffuse the never ending spot fires all over the place.

Childish behaviour at best.

I'll probably cop a few dummy spits but in all honestly with the Toovey sacking etc there shouldn't be more rubbish about Manly just getting on with business. Someone really wants the team to not make the finals otherwise the whole results driven excuse will look stupid, as it always has.

Yes the MWRLFC club have to vote against the rule for a minimum 10 games on the northern beaches. So the spiritual ground remains.

Gosford obviously is a good option as a second ground. It extends the fan base and the council up their wants the business injection of 10k+ consumers to the area.

I don't think there is any dark conspiracy.

Warringah Council needs to sweeten their deal and probably will when the buyer has options. Their fee for a minimally maintained ground is a rort. The sandbag oval earlier in the season lowered the clubs reputation.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6