Sea Eagles using science and supplements to good effect

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sea Eagles using science and supplements to good effect

There are many factors that go into successful pre-season training; hard work, determination, courage, commitment etc.

This year Manly may have an edge over other teams. Body supplements and conditioning play a huge part in the modern game and Manly are at the cutting edge in this department.

Manly have gone through $12,500 worth of Bodyscience protein supplements in the past three months in an attempt to bulk up the squad and have seen some impressive results.

Head Strength and Conditioning coach Don Singe said “Each of the players will use Bodyscience supplements both before and after training sessions, 5 times a week. We have seen some great results in the pre-season; many of our players have gained some 2.5kg in muscle and decreased in skin folds by up to 12cm which is a credit to how hard they have worked and to how we are using the Bodyscience supplements”

“Bodyscience supplements have played an instrumental part in our pre-season success. Their knowledge of the products and how they should be used are instrumental.”

It was just before Christmas that the Manly Sea Eagles held their first Strongman Competition at the Sydney Academy of Sport, in which local Tongan man mountain Sione Finefeuiaki took the crown with a bench press of 170kg. This from a player that only does weights once a week…
The ASDA approved Bodyscience supplements have also played a crucial role in other players build up, such as Chris Hicks and Travis Burns, both being able to bench press plenty more than expected.

The impressive pre-season program combined with the addition of Jamie Lyon to the 2007 squad has the Eagles well placed for an assault on the premiership.

Posted by NRLnews.com at 7:08 AM

http://www.nrlnews.com/

I know young Brett has also gained some speed in the off season, but I hope this increase in muscle mass doesn't detract from mobility in the team as a whole.
One of our biggest issues is ruck defence, and adding muscle may affect this in an adverse way?

ryan the article says a loss of skin fold thickness ie fat - so it shouldnt be detrimental

Fluffy, the more muscle mass a person puts on, the lee mobile they naturally become.

Fluffy, the more muscle mass a person puts on, the lee mobile they naturally become.
CRAP!

I won't bore others with the details but to make generalisations like that Ryan flies in the eyes of science etc. It depends what muscles and power to weight etc :naughty:

Let's hope they give it to King via direct injection into his legs.

I am hoping they inject it into george Rose's gut and trun it from fat to muscle. If they can do that he will be unstoppable in 2007.

[quote author=Ryan]
CRAP!

I won't bore others with the details but to make generalisations like that Ryan flies in the eyes of science etc. It depends what muscles and power to weight etc :naughty:

[/quote]

How is that not confirming what I have said you tool?
Regardless of WHOM it is (not generalising), the muscle mass they are talking about in that suppliment, would effect overall mobility. Do you think that Brett Stewart gets on the exercise bike alone. No. That's why it mentioned that EVEN THOUGH Stewart had bulked up, he had "actually" got faster.

Or did they say this statment for no reason other than to suggest something has happenned out of the ordinary. They said it because it's not the norm, and it as was matter of factual.

For the record, muscle mass has an affect on adductors, flexors and internal rotators. Check how many of those you have in your legs Dave !

That's the reduced summary of my hypothesis.

its a great hypothesis ryan but again you fail to acknowledge the reduction in skin fold thickness ie fat.

in other words there is less fat to have to manouvre, hence greater mobility. AS for your muscle makes you slower theory, show me a recent 100m olympic champion that isnt built like a brick ****house

[quote author=Matabele]
Let's hope they give it to King via direct injection into his legs.

I am hoping they inject it into george Rose's gut and trun it from fat to muscle. If they can do that he will be unstoppable in 2007.
[/quote]

If anyone knew how to tun a fat gut to muscle via an injection they would become the wealthiest person in the world.

Ryan - you amaze me! I write one post disagreeing with you and suddenly I am called a 'tool!" This is a site for robust argument and yet you play the man.

Using Wikipedia terms for muscles doesn't hide the fact that Fluffy is right with sprinters - look at Linford Christie, Ato Boulden, Maurice Green, Ben Johnson etc and see how their bodies are built for explosive speed.

A recent Manly Daily article explained that Stewart is .5 sec off being a national rated sprinter (and he is also training for League.) I coach sprinters and footy players, (with assistance of those who actually know what they are talking about m- from more than Wikipedia :lol:) and can assure you that physiology is different than what you are talking about.

Ryan - you amaze me! I write one post disagreeing with you and suddenly I am called a 'tool!\" This is a site for robust argument and yet you play the man.

Using Wikipedia terms for muscles doesn't hide the fact that Fluffy is right with sprinters - look at Linford Christie, Ato Boulden, Maurice Green, Ben Johnson etc and see how their bodies are built for explosive speed.

A recent Manly Daily article explained that Stewart is .5 sec off being a national rated sprinter (and he is also training for League.) I coach sprinters and footy players, (with assistance of those who actually know what they are talking about m- from more than Wikipedia :lol:) and can assure you that physiology is different than what you are talking about.

Well don't reply with your saying of "CRAP". It makes you sound like a know it all prick. You can't have expected me to reply differently - you set the tone. Refer your crap line to your statement:-

This is a site for robust argument and yet you play the man. LOL. You said it to get a retort, and I did so.

Fluffy, with your theory, and I'll talk in your terms here, Battista from the rock and roll wrestling would smash all the 100 metre sprinters. I can just see Hulk Hogan in the 100 metre dash - and I mean in his PRIME.

His muscle mass has seriously deteriorated his mobility, and I'll let you know - they are MUCH more muscular than the runners. They's also take steroids quite frequently, which would ALSO enhance performance, but would still not be enough to get them anywhere NEAR the pace runners.

Now, to relate that to Manly, I think Jason King has too much upper body muscle mass, and that seriously affects his mobility. Look at the best props in Mason / Bailey / Petro etc...they are ALL slimmer etc...

Having studied Human Movement extensively I am tempted to weigh in here but this looks like it could turn nasty so I will stay out of it.

[quote author=The Wheel]
Agree Clon, sounds like a few psoters have internet steriod rage

The boys have had too much Bodyscience protein supplement!!!

[/quote]

Mate - if you've studied it, I'm happy to hear I'm wrong on this occasion ??? So, what's the synopsis?

Its all about having the right balance, Stewart has lacked size and this added size will help improve his all round game.

I am sure the staff have done their research and know what is going to benefit the team and how they perform on the field. Im not concerned.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2