Scary lack of outside backs !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think Walker has been "all potential, little substance". While he is the best centre we have I would not be heartbroken to see him go.
How DESpicable would overcome our lack of backs would be interesting, but not insurmountable.
We could play a 'power forward' style, using Tafua and Suli as pseudo forwards, taking plenty of hit-ups and keeping our other forwards fresher.
We'd have no attack in the outside backs, except for cameos by Turbo. But as long as our three-quarters were strong defensively I could see us winning plenty of matches by over powering our opposition.
It would be anathema to the traditional style of Manly backline brilliance, which we didn't see in 2018. We'd have to reply on our power forwards scoring most of the tries, but this was the case last season anyway.
Bashing the opposition into submission. It seems like the best option we have until we unearth some three-quarters with pace, skill and flair.
Sounds like a very boring formula and alrhough different but same basis the bulldogs struggled with that style of play last few years

If Walker is sacked and goneski
I'd like to see a backline like this

1. Brendan Elliot
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. Reuben Garrick
5. Moses Suli

I'd be going hard for Will Hopoate or Gutherson one or the other, and Robert Jennings, and a prop. Bring back Vave!! ....just kidding.

If Walker is sacked and goneski
I'd like to see a backline like this

1. Brendan Elliot
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. Reuben Garrick
5. Moses Suli

I'd be going hard for Will Hopoate or Gutherson one or the other, and Robert Jennings, and a prop. Bring back Vave!! ....just kidding.
I'm sorry but that is a bottom 4 backline no matter how good the forwards or coach are.

I think Walker has been "all potential, little substance". While he is the best centre we have I would not be heartbroken to see him go.
How DESpicable would overcome our lack of backs would be interesting, but not insurmountable.
We could play a 'power forward' style, using Tafua and Suli as pseudo forwards, taking plenty of hit-ups and keeping our other forwards fresher.
We'd have no attack in the outside backs, except for cameos by Turbo. But as long as our three-quarters were strong defensively I could see us winning plenty of matches by over powering our opposition.
It would be anathema to the traditional style of Manly backline brilliance, which we didn't see in 2018. We'd have to reply on our power forwards scoring most of the tries, but this was the case last season anyway.
Bashing the opposition into submission. It seems like the best option we have until we unearth some three-quarters with pace, skill and flair.
I can see that. Maybe an attacking game built around Kane and Cherry laying the ball off to Jake and Sirro who then turn it in or out to the straight runners. Keeping it tight in the middle third rather than trying to score in the courner. Kane has a good kicking game and we have tall second rowers and a tall fullback so maybe some short bombs to put our tall men on their short men. I haven’t given up on Parker yet. I saw a few flashes of good play from him last year and he was handicapped by being outside centres who wouldn’t pass and had no idea where

I'm sorry but that is a bottom 4 backline no matter how good the forwards or coach are.

I agree about it being a bottom 4 backline. If Kelly and Walker aren't replaced, then there's not much to choose from. Even if Albert, Jade were included in the backline inplace of Elliot and Garrick, it would still be a bottom 4 backline. The only reason I put Elliot in was because he has the most NRL experience than Garrick, A. Hopoate and Anderson. There's not alot to choose from, hence the reason I said I'd be going hard for W. Hopoate or Gutho and R.Jennings.

Yep you might do that for $650k

I think we could for Dylan's 650k plus what we have left...more like 1.1M . I'm guessing we have somewhere around 450k we could conjure up if we NEED to.

I also believe at least 2 out of Funa, Ando, Hoppa Jr and Semisi Kioa will be consistent pieces of our backline this year.

Last edited:
If Waddell impresses, or anyone else really. Thompson to left centre which he has played a decent amount of. Helps the defense, lots of experience, still a good hole runner/decoy
Thommo is a deadset lethal tackler as a guard on the edges, but the Mitchell/Roberts types would make him look like a statue.
He does run a great line but these days runs more courage lines through defenders as his pace is an above average backrower....but a slow centre, but agree your point has merit, as Thommo would more likely be an option if an outside back was injured during a game as a solid option.

Thommo is a deadset lethal tackler as a guard on the edges, but the Mitchell/Roberts types would make him look like a statue.
He does run a great line but these days runs more courage lines through defenders as his pace is an above average backrower....but a slow centre, but agree your point has merit, as Thommo would more likely be an option if an outside back was injured during a game as a solid option.
He's going to have his hands full shadowing Elgey in defence.

If Walker is told to walk & the stars align then maybe a back line something like this would go down well:-

Albert Hopoate
Moses
Tom T
Will Hopoate
Garrick
LG
DC
E

Marty
Api
AFB
Siro
Thiommo
Jake T

Res: Paseka, Tangara, Waddell, Hodkinson

Hasler will have something up his sleeve .
I can understand all the endless and continues posts about our depth issues and other issues but like you brad I am aware that smart operators have a plan B .
Excuses or plan B solutions ? . Take your pick .
I love adversity as adversity was my best teacher . It taught me getting out of my fcking comfort zone . It made me a more tougher determined and resilient person and a person that tried harder to find a way and prevail . Adversity has taught me to never walk away from a fight !
Comfort zones and excuses teaches you nothing .

Adversity can toughen up our culture with the right teacher . A teacher that does not walk away from adversity and his students as there is no greater motivator than a teacher leading by example

Some coaches are lovers and some coaches are fighters .

We have the right coach in our corner

mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

A lot of discussion about Will Hopoate coming back but seriously can you see the Bulldogs wanting to see him gone at this stage of the season where there’s bugger all replacements on the market!

Last edited:
I love adversity as adversity was my best teacher . It taught me getting out of my fcking comfort zone . It made me a more tougher determined and resilient person and a person that tried harder to find a way and prevail . Adversity has taught me to never walk away from a fight !
Adversity can toughen up our culture with the right teacher.
Quick. Let's sign up this bloke Adversity.

A lot of discussion about Will Hopoate coming back but seriously can you see the Bulldogs wanting to see him gone at this stage of the season where there’s bugged all replacements on the market!
I agree about Will . The Dogs need him and wont let go . I also agree that they are not many big name players on the market but players like Wolfman, robbo and jorge were unknowns before we made them known .
Some players are capable of stepping up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8