Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When I was more closely associated with the club I asked the player group did they read Silvertails, I was surprised to hear they did.

Not sure if it’s still the case though.

Yeah mate, the marketing dept is all over it. I was a sponsor at the club for ages and functions were very interesting. The lower grades had a few life lessons to learn as they thought they were immortal and that goes down with maturity, but the senior players (once proved you were there for the right reasons) were very accommodating. I guess as every business, personnel need to understand who pays the bills, clubs are getting better at it as funds dry up. I had a couple of the players ring me up with all humility this year asking when I would be back. Got to admit there was a long break in between my involvement with the club and recent times but at least they are recognizing past assets and trying to reinvigorate ongoing relationships.

Hey Hozza, out of curtesy to you I rang the great one J Lyons and asked for his opinion on your comment - his response was - hmmmm his (DCE) heart is there, he bleeds for the club, and given the injuries and "other issues" with the spine, we really need to pull our heads in. If the team was intact, not injured or otherwise excluded, then your argument would be more real.

He said we would have upset a few teams in the finals given injury free.

BTW he has a look at this site occasionally and has giggle. He reckons we are funny?

So Hozza thanks for prompting me to give him a tingle - it was great, actually prompted me to ring the Wombat straight afterwards to see how his going, struggling a bit but active again.

I'm thinking us Silvertails should do something special post corona at Brookie for the great one!
Hey Supreme Leader, thanks for the update on the great man! Bit surprised on his view but he knows better than most!

Hope when you catch up with him you convey to him what a huge part of our history he is. Absolute champion, more than happy to buy 1 or 18 frothies for him for all the great memories he and the team he Captained provided..

Yeah mate, the marketing dept is all over it. I was a sponsor at the club for ages and functions were very interesting. The lower grades had a few life lessons to learn as they thought they were immortal and that goes down with maturity, but the senior players (once proved you were there for the right reasons) were very accommodating. I guess as every business, personnel need to understand who pays the bills, clubs are getting better at it as funds dry up. I had a couple of the players ring me up with all humility this year asking when I would be back. Got to admit there was a long break in between my involvement with the club and recent times but at least they are recognizing past assets and trying to reinvigorate ongoing relationships.
Good to hear , I know Stephen Humphreys from my travel and rent a car days, a smart guy.

Hey Supreme Leader, thanks for the update on the great man! Bit surprised on his view but he knows better than most!

Hope when you catch up with him you convey to him what a huge part of our history he is. Absolute champion, more than happy to buy 1 or 18 frothies for him for all the great memories he and the team he Captained provided..

Thanks for that but I think the Wombat needs more help! I would really love to be part of providing some help to things that are important to him. For an example Wombat was trying to put together an after school football skills program in Northern NSW. I think rather than sitting back we all should provide a legacy that the Wombat would be proud of. But that just me? Just saying

So just out of interest, how about someone with great knowledge and background on the Silvertails show how they would spend the cap. From 1 - 30 plus the development players. I would be really interested to see how you guys would spread it. You can only spend it on who we have, not who you want. Minimum is around 130K I think, but maybe a touch less. I'm not sure.

I've said it a million times, for the most part the roster is good, doesnt need a purge just some tweaking.

Our issues are injuries, confidence, poor selections, the up and in defense, discipline.

Most of these are coaching and system issues.

Dessie needs to step back in the off season and have a rethink, we have the tools they just aren't being utilized correctly

Thanks for that but I think the Wombat needs more help! I would really love to be part of providing some help to things that are important to him. For an example Wombat was trying to put together an after school football skills program in Northern NSW. I think rather than sitting back we all should provide a legacy that the Wombat would be proud of. But that just me? Just saying
Agree 100%. Float some ideas and I’d be on board.. no doubt others would follow.

Hope he’s ok?

Hey mate where abouts, on the tweed?
I’m up this way

Who is J Lyons...Cliffy's wife?

Seriously! Cliffy's family is awesome, what a great man. Captain Coach of Hornsby. Daughter a great school teacher.... Wife is funny as. You should bite your tongue! All good having some fun tonight! Just heard the wife and all the girls are leaving for a school holiday week. So I'm organising the BBQ with the mates and a couple of beers, even have the Cheerleaders turning up.... don't know what age group yet? Anyone want to turn up?

Last edited:
There's a constant stream of DCE apologists that won't accept any thought that he may not in fact be the best player in the comp. He's not even playing like the best half in the comp at the moment, but they'll keep shouting you down with the excuses.

What I keep thinking about is what has he achieved since he backflipped and signed his lifetime deal ??. No premierships, no Dally M awards, not even a halfback of the year. Sure he managed to outlast Cronk and Thurston and get a Maroon jersey, but has he dominated at that level ?? I don't see a player that has improved. He looked great up to 2015 when he had arguably one of the greatest Manly sides ever around him, since that imploded he hasn't consistently looked any where near that player. I don't know that the circumstances will ever exist again where we have a side like that for him to shine to that level - not when he takes up such a significant portion of the cap. I think Tommy at full fitness can maybe get him part the way there.... here's hoping anyway.

What quality half plays decent if he doesn't have a quality team around him that is fit most of the time?

Would Cronk have been successful without Slater and Smith, and then Keary and Tedesco?

Would Thurston have been able to finally win a premiership without Michael Morgan and Taumalolo?

Would Reynolds have been able to win a comp with Souths without Inglis and Burgess?

I'm not saying DCE is definitely worth the $1.3M or is the best half in the comp at the moment, but just like any star player, he isn't going to go back to the heights he was at without having other quality game-breakers like Turbo and the same halves partner week in week out in the side like the above players.

A big part of DCE's early success was he had the same halves partner for his first 5 seasons in the NRL, for the next 5 seasons, these have been his halves partners:

Jamie Lyon, Dylan Walker, Blake Green, Api Korisau Jackson Hastings, Cade Cust, Lachlan Croker, Pita Godinet, Cameron Cullen, Feleti Mateo, Kane Elgey, Josh Schuster...

So just out of interest, how about someone with great knowledge and background on the Silvertails show how they would spend the cap. From 1 - 30 plus the development players. I would be really interested to see how you guys would spread it. You can only spend it on who we have, not who you want. Minimum is around 130K I think, but maybe a touch less. I'm not sure.

It's much easier to spread the cap now that $850K won't be taken up by AFB next season.

That's the biggest injustice on our cap, paying that much to a headcase that spends 50 mins on the field each week.

It was mentioned on NRL 360. They were discussing Penrith and Api is the buy of the year in their opinion. I agree with that and I hope they win a premiership as they richly deserve it.
It was mentioned on NRL 360. They were discussing Penrith and Api is the buy of the year in their opinion. I agree with that and I hope they win a premiership as they richly deserve it.
Letting Api go was always going to be a mistake. Losing AFB is similar disaster. He had a contract and should've been made to honour it.

Sorry mate I meant was wombat trying to put a one on up northern nsw
Sure was, spent a few bucks helping out, but at the end of the day when someone like Wombat asks for help - can you say NO!

Remember having a drink after a legends lunch with wombat, max K and his wife, Terry R and his wife. Great 7 hour drink, the stories, the fact they shared the stories with a no body like me was awesome. BTW that's when Wombat hit me up... LOL

Sure was, spent a few bucks helping out, but at the end of the day when someone like Wombat asks for help - can you say NO!

Remember having a drink after a legends lunch with wombat, max K and his wife, Terry R and his wife. Great 7 hour drink, the stories, the fact they shared the stories with a no body like me was awesome. BTW that's when Wombat hit me up... LOL
Haha half your luck
What a shame I would’ve helped out. Matai is around up here at the moment catch up with him every now and again doesn’t say much about the club though.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6