Salary cap query

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
It's reported that Canberra is chasing Gower to replace Campese, who may be out for much of next season. Is Campese's salary still part of the 4.3-M cap? If so, how can Canberra afford Gower? If not, did Manly gain room under the cap for Wolfman and Brett when they suffered season-ending injuries?

I seem to recall Lowe calling for reforms within the cap for injured players. Much along the lines that the clubs would still need to pay them what they are contracted for, but they would get a % of the cap relief as a result. Not sure if it got any legs, but I can only assume based on this, that it's not the case now.

I also recall a thread about this where someone suggested the NFL as having a system in place.

I think there are changes coming in for long term injuries this year. I remember someone saying that it was a pity it came a year too late for us.

No doubt about the slackness of the NRL. They don't have provision for long-term injury, which has been going on since the cap was introduced, and they don't know if there will be a reserve grade comp next season.
What a bunch of amateurs.
But wait, they are prepared to sell the game down the drain to the gambling agencies for a few pieces of silver.

To be fair to the NRL how do you know that it will not be like the old head bin rule (as in who will assess if the player is actually injured etc)

All that said no reason as to why it could not happen

Talking about salary cap - I notice that the Bulldogs have signed another 3 players. They seem to have a lot more players (quality ones) comming in than are leaving. Can anyone shed any light on how they can afford this?

north coast eagle link said:
Talking about salary cap - I notice that the Bulldogs have signed another 3 players. They seem to have a lot more players (quality ones) comming in than are leaving. Can anyone shed any light on how they can afford this?

Yeah. News Flash. They're ****ing cheats also and have the history to prove it.

Gains for season 2011
- Aiden Tolman (Melbourne Storm) - 2013
- Trent Hodkinson (Manly Sea Eagles) - 2013
- Kris Keating (Parramatta Eels) - 2013
- Frank Pritchard (Penrith Panthers) - 2013
- Grant Millington (Cronulla Sharks) - 2012
- Greg Eastwood (Leeds Rhinos) - 2013
- Jonathan Wright (Parramatta Eels) - 2012
- Michael Lett (St. George Illawarra) - 2011

Re-Signed for season 2011
- David Stagg (2 year extension, until the end of 2012)
- Ben Barba (2 year extension, until the end of 2012)
- Michael Hodgson (1 year extension, until the end of 2011)
- Ryan Tandy (2 year extension, until the end of 2012)
- Brad Morrin (1 year extension, until the end of 2011)
- Joel Romelo (1 year extension, until the end of 2011)
- Corey Payne (1 year extension, until the end of 2011)

Losses for season 2011
- Ben Hannant (Brisbane Broncos 2014)
- Daniel Harrison (Manly Sea Eagles 2012)
- Luke Patten (Salford ESL 2013)
- Brett Kimmorley (Bulldogs coaching staff)
- Blake Green (Hull KR ESL)
- Jarrad Hickey (Unknown at this stage, confirmed by Greenberg)

Either there doing really well with player retention or somethings very fishy !

Of all those gains Michael Lett is the only one that you would think that signed for the minimum amount.

Very suspect accounting from a very suspect club.

They are full of ok players if you ask me. Player for player (all things being positive for us), we beat them overall AND on paper. Example, and just a guess at their team next year:-

(And I'll go with the conservative team I think Des will go with)

01. Brett Stewart -----------01. Ben Barba (Manly +1)
02. Micheal Robertson -------02. Steve Turner (equal in my opinion)
03. Steve Matai -------------03. Josh Morris (Manly +2)
04. Jamie Lyon --------------04. Jamal Idris (Manly +3)
05. David Williams -----------05. Bryson Goodwin (hmmm - even?)
06. Keiran Foran ------------06. Kris Keating (Manly +4)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans -------07. Trent Hodkinson (Manly +3)
08. Jason King --------------08. Michael Hodgson (even)
09. Matt Ballin --------------09. Michael Ennis (Manly +2)
10. Brent Kite -------------- 10. Aiden Tolman (Manly +3)
11. Anthony Watmough ----- 11. Frank Pritchard (even)
12. Shane Rodney -----------12. Greg Eastwood (even)
13. Glenn Stewart -----------13. Ben Roberts (Manly +4)

14. Chris Bailey --------------14. Dene Halatau (Manly +3)
15. George Rose -------------15. David Stagg (Manly +2)
16. Joe Galuvao -------------16. Ryan Tandy (Manly +)
17. Tony Williams-------------17. Andrew Ryan (Manly +2)

Ok, in the end it was close. They'd also have:-
18. Brad Morrin
19. Corey Payne
20. Michael Lett
21. Grant Millington
22. Chris Armit
23. Heka Nanai
24. Mickey Paea
25. Gary Warburton
26. Danny Williams

as there roster rounded off. The other players may get contracted to their NSW Cup team. BUT, Manly also have:-

18. Matt Cross
19. Dean Whare
20. William Hopoate
21. Michael Oldfield
22. Terrence Seu Seu
23. James Cunningham
24. Daniel Harrison
25. Darcy Lussick

and in my opinion, whilst much less experienced and younger, I believe has 10X the untapped potential.

Overall, we are in a much better position than them imo. Building from within has fantastic benefits - The Bulldogs are buying every scrapper they can on the open market, and even paying $300k a year for a 7 game rookie.

I'm glad I'm not a  Bulldogs fan today.

I think you're very harsh on Kris Keating Ryan. Probably also on Hodko and Ennis. He is the NSW hooker and Ballo is the back up.

Barry Hyland link said:
Exhausting, Ryan, but enlightening.
Perhaps you can critique every club's 2011 roster? :eek:

Just replying to your thread mate. I won't bother from this point.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Barry Hyland link=topic=185436.msg297035#msg297035 date=1285202233]
Exhausting, Ryan, but enlightening.
Perhaps you can critique every club's 2011 roster? :eek:

Just replying to your thread mate. I won't bother from this point.
[/quote]

I was praising the thoroughness of the post, and would like it if you could do it for all other clubs. Not everybody is a critic on here, Ryan. ;D

Fonz link said:
I think you're very harsh on Kris Keating Ryan. Probably also on Hodko and Ennis. He is the NSW hooker and Ballo is the back up.
You could add Andrew Ryan in with them & I don't think Roberts will be playing lock.

Fonz link said:

I would suggest that Ballin would have it over Ennis, Ballin is back up for QLD, who have about 4 hookers that would have it over Ennis. Also Foran has Keating covered, and I think Cherry Evans and King have been underestimated, however all this is based on opinion. On the Bulldogs, Hannant and Kimmorley would have had high end contracts... more than any of the gains, I would suggest upwards of $400k each, i would suggest that the first five gains that were listed would earn say $200-300k maybe? It does still look a little suss but its all speculation... You could suggest that just about any team may be pushing the boundaries of the cap... maybe except for Sharks and Knights... Schubert has a massive job each year and as has been shown... cheaters will be caught... I think we should concentrate more on supporting our own team, turning up each week and being vocal as opposed to trying to find ways to question the competition...

You do realise that Schubert played for Easts, don't you, which may explain how the Rorters get away with poaching most available players.

There probably are teams... or just the roosters... that get away with more than they should... but unless you appoint a much larger team to investigate all teams you will get all this speculation... Even if the Roosters are over the cap, we still have a better side when fully fit and I would rather concentrate on the positives from our side... the only Roosters player I would be jealous of would be Todd Carney and I said that at the start of the season... and 2 or 3 years ago when we nearly signed him... At the end of the day we have a team to win the comp!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8