[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am with you on Hoppa but Schuster should have been given an opportunity ahead of the other failures long ago
Sure he looked promising but bottom line, he didn't even last one game. Reminiscent of the debut of Brett Stewart.

You lost me once you said this.
After watching Hoppa struggle the past 3 weeks to keep up in a less demanding position, and arguably one of the worst effort wise yesterday in a all round poor effort from all, your still suggesting Des was wrong in not selecting Hoppa in the more demanding role of FB just 3 weeks after he was cleared from a 2 year lay off in round 8 ?
I think I will stick with Des for a little while longer.
I would have rather had a FB playing FB than a winger.. even Funa, who I rate a lot higher than Garrick, has struggled to be in position in defence... so, yes I would have rather had Hoppa coming into play his position (and hold a non-performing team accountable) than playing Garrick there... he would have had plenty of fitness from the re-hab work and Des played Walkz at 5/8 just 2 days after being cleared from an ankle injury that kept him out 7 weeks...

2017 we lost in the first week of the finals with a healthy squad. 2018 we were decimated and made it to week two-should have been week three if not for a shocking call.
should have made Week 2 in 2017 too KW... but shouldda don't get you nothing...

It all comes down to good recruitment
Players with potential can be turned into better players
If a player does not have potential than no one can turn them into NRL players
reckon it's a bit of ying and a bit of yang but cannot argue that those teams have better recruitment than us... it is amazing how those clubs continually slot players seemlessly into the side tho and largely I reckon it is because they are given simple, achievable tasks by the coach... the only time i can remember players struggling in those teams is when they come into a position like half-back or 5/8 because they need to run the attack (which is more complicated)...
I definitely agree that recruitment is huge but hs there ever been a player that left the roosters or storm and actually played BETTER at their new club?

Sure he looked promising but bottom line, he didn't even last one game. Reminiscent of the debut of Brett Stewart.

What has that got to do with anything?

Him getting injured has nothing to do with him not getting picked before he was injured.

Our team selections have been questionable all year.

I would have rather had a FB playing FB than a winger.. even Funa, who I rate a lot higher than Garrick, has struggled to be in position in defence... so, yes I would have rather had Hoppa coming into play his position (and hold a non-performing team accountable) than playing Garrick there... he would have had plenty of fitness from the re-hab work and Des played Walkz at 5/8 just 2 days after being cleared from an ankle injury that kept him out 7 weeks...
Bit of a difference between Walker out for 7 weeks and his situation compared to Hoppa being out for 2 years and never having played NRL at all.
His fitness was shot, still is so I dare say the points put on us would have been much much worse with Hoppa at FB and undergone compared to what we had with Elliot.
Yes by all means players should have been accountable. Did Des make some questionable selections ?, most likely. Wass Hoppa one of them ? I personally don't thinks so and I would go so far as to say from what we have seen Hoppa would have been much worse than what we had given his performances and fitness.

Moot point really as it is only speculation and we will never know

My mistake... On a side note-my nuts are definitely not numb, they work just fine. The numbing of nuts and other associated problems tends to occur a little later in life. Almost time for your afternoon nap little guy.
Sh*t mine are numb .... maybe there is still some anaesthetic circulating my clogged old veins

How often has Bellamy missed finals in the last 9 years? Even with an ageing roster and major stars retiring or shifting over recent years. I agree that if the mix is right and the stars align we have a potentially potent group.

That said, any reliable consistent fullback is better than a hyped one who never plays due to injuries. Any half back who can manage a game, lead their team and maintain composure is better than what DCE has offered. Des is the only one I would give a little more leeway to, but he needs to turn things around big time next season IMO.

If Cam Smith was injured more in his career then Bellamy would have a worse record. Cam Smith one of the greatest ever and has never had a long term serious injury only missed a handful of games. that is why Bellamy looks so much better. Once smith retires they will go into the same funk that we have.

I get the feeling some of you think Dessie was appointed last week .... he has had this squad for 2 full pre-seasons and 2 full years .... and without any salary cap restrictions ... and a coaching staff of thousands ....

I still support Dessie, but spare me the shiite players mantra ... they were good enough last year ... and if their individual form, and the team's form has gone backwards .... whose responsibility is it?
Trent Barrett’s fault clearly

Bit of a difference between Walker out for 7 weeks and his situation compared to Hoppa being out for 2 years and never having played NRL at all.
His fitness was shot, still is so I dare say the points put on us would have been much much worse with Hoppa at FB and undergone compared to what we had with Elliot.
Yes by all means players should have been accountable. Did Des make some questionable selections ?, most likely. Wass Hoppa one of them ? I personally don't thinks so and I would go so far as to say from what we have seen Hoppa would have been much worse than what we had given his performances and fitness.

Moot point really as it is only speculation and we will never know
I actually never had a problem with Elliott playing FB because he has played it so much over the last 2 years and is actually pretty good at it... sure, he is no Tom or Snake but his positional play (in defence) is always good and he is excellent under a high ball...

I actually never had a problem with Elliott playing FB because he has played it so much over the last 2 years and is actually pretty good at it... sure, he is no Tom or Snake but his positional play (in defence) is always good and he is excellent under a high ball...
Yes he was solid in defence but offered no real attacking ops

Des bringing back the good old boys has not worked for us in 2020. Donny and Crusher who were sacked for poor performance at the dogs have shown nothing for the club, fitness and talent recruitment have been poor.

It’s hard to gauge Des Haslers thought perspective with the modern game, a defence that has been extremely vulnerable and poor.

With all the past successes that Des has had there has been nothing different about his coaching game this season to take away as a positive.

Des has a reluctance to play younger players as highlighted by how long Schuster has had too wait for a game, player managers don’t rate Des as an attractive option for their younger players.

For 2020 we have underperformed in a big way, lots of discussion about the squad, in my opinion we have some of the best junior talent in our ranks, this season the senior playing group has been poor and they are the ones who need to improve their games. Starting with DCE and Jake, a poor season for them as players and leaders.

As much experience that Des has the game has changed and he has failed to adapt to the changes where results are a priority. A two out of ten rating for Des in 2020 from me.

Our coach (the dog) is not the messiah most people thought he was, once he done the dirty on our club a line should have been put through his name and stamped never to return!
Exactly how I felt regarding Des at one point @swoop ...
i have somehow forgiven the bloke (against my hature generally but he was an idol of mine and he is a loveable scamp) but I have been very disappointed with our play and confounded by some decisions this year...
I would have preferred that we go another direction but hopefully he does some homework over the off season (as he loves to do apparently) and proves me wrong next year...

We look like the bulldogs of 2017/18....slow and just off the pace.

And I must say therein lies potentially the biggest issue with our coaching setup.

The jury is most definitely OUT on Des and there’s no way if I was in control he’d be getting a two year extension.

Sign for up for one and if we are just the same again next year I’d be changing directions.

Blame injuries all you like, blame quality of back ups all you like but this side has lacked passion since about round 6 AND it’s showed.

Not sure about what the issues are but a good man manager should be able to sort the **** out.

And I must say therein lies potentially the biggest issue with our coaching setup.

The jury is most definitely OUT on Des and there’s no way if I was in control he’d be getting a two year extension.

Sign for up for one and if we are just the same again next year I’d be changing directions.

Blame injuries all you like, blame quality of back ups all you like but this side has lacked passion since about round 6 AND it’s showed.

Not sure about what the issues are but a good man manager should be able to sort the **** out.
Agreed. But as others have pointed out our recruitment team needs regenerating, and there is something amiss with our fitness levels and injury prevention management. These need an overhaul. Somehow The 'Riff and Doesn'tmatta have managed to keep their players off the injured list and their positions on the table reflect the importance of this.
What are they doing differently in the Golden West?
Dank, anyone?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4