[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des bleeds Maroon and White
I support Des at this point but the man does not bleed maroon and white. I'm not one to forget the way he left us but, more importantly, if you watch closely you'll see he never professes love for Manly. Even recently when the reporters fed him the line of how wonderful it must be to coach his 250th game for the club he loves, he completely turned it on its head by saying it's such an honour to be involved in the NRL.
Watch closely - no public love for Manly. Ever.

I support Des at this point but the man does not bleed maroon and white. I'm not one to forget the way he left us but, more importantly, if you watch closely you'll see he never professes love for Manly. Even recently when the reporters fed him the line of how wonderful it must be to coach his 250th game for the club he loves, he completely turned it on its head by saying it's such an honour to be involved in the NRL.
Watch closely - no public love for Manly. Ever.
Not sure on that 1 mate - though you have a point, as he definitely has his own interests ahead of Manly....this also reflects with a stubborn quality that can be great, as he backs himself, but bad as not a fan of change....even when needed.
I do feel he fits in at Manly well and with an actual team with minimum injuries and 1-2 signings that will come, Very confident he will have the side challenging for more Premiership titles...your also correct about the public love, but on the flipside has his players backs on and off the field which I respect

Last edited:
I get the feeling some of you think Dessie was appointed last week .... he has had this squad for 2 full pre-seasons and 2 full years .... and without any salary cap restrictions ... and a coaching staff of thousands ....

I still support Dessie, but spare me the shiite players mantra ... they were good enough last year ... and if their individual form, and the team's form has gone backwards .... whose responsibility is it?

I get the feeling some of you think Dessie was appointed last week .... he has had this squad for 2 full pre-seasons and 2 full years .... and without any salary cap restrictions ... and a coaching staff of thousands ....

I still support Dessie, but spare me the shiite players mantra ... they were good enough last year ... and if their individual form, and the team's form has gone backwards .... whose responsibility is it?
can 't compare last season with this season on the injury ramifications and proportion of key players regularly unavailable front for this season . Can however be critical of some of the on field attacking plays and even with a weakened squad , just the lack of defensive desire and urgency . Hopefully like last season , not such an injury ravaged season , more spark in attack and to find their defensive resolve again . and yes Des does have his share of responsibility for that to happen .

whose responsibility is it?
It's all in the numbers @:)

Four is an unlucky number for the Chinese. Des is in a personal four year & it is also it a universal four year. However, Des's numbers point to great success in 2021!

I don't take this too seriously

Last edited:

The Trent under performing players were good last year because to his credit Des got out the best of them . This year those same players proved that you can only get so much out of those calibre of players as they have proven to be inconsistent performers .
I ask you Woodsie . Which coach in the NRL can win a comp with the calibre of these players
In his run on team ?
Croker
Harper
Hopper
Funa
Parker
Wadell
Boyle

Four is an unlucky number for the Chinese. Des is in a personal four year & it is also it a universal four year. However, Des's numbers point to great success in 2021!

Is Des Chinese? Who knew! This world :rock:

Lots of imbeciles came out of Grammar schools . They can spell but have no common sense what so ever

this is still mostly a team des inherited, not the team des chose.. gotta give a new coach 3 or 4 years imo... first 2 years they generally have to put up with who was there when they arrived.. and des got all he could out of some absolute rubbish players..
Hopefully with the players leaving, next year the signings begin.. cant see us winning anything with the current team.. need ATLEAST a quality winger, a dynamic back rower and a decent centre... parker is average, suli is lazy, tafua is well past it, garrick is average, jury still out on funa imo, great last week against a rubbish dogs but hasn't really gone out of his way to inject himself into games.. our back row is pedestrian.. Jake is good, I like sirro, Thompson's gone,jetski is average.. we need a new watmough.. someone that regularly hits holes and tears teams up..
Des can only do so much with the talent(less) players he inherited

4 worked pretty well as in inspiration for your moniker @;)

Wrong as Manly had a $330k salary cap penalty in 2019

I agree to a point Woodsie, though I feel ANY of the Top sides say Penrith, missing Cleary, Kikau, Creighton, Api ect would be nowhere near the top of the ladder....so injuries are not an excuse, but very factual in this case.
Thing is, I do agree Des has not had the players available UP enough on attitude, regardless of picking a team with several backup players....I mean check out NZ with a spare parts side still have a full dig and throw in Titans who towelled us up last night....After the game Jake even confessed "The sad part is, they wanted it more than us"...which has nothing to do with injury, but the efforts of the 17 representing Manly on the park, there is something not right amongst the playing group and the old Manly spirit is far from the standard of successful playing groups of the past.

4 worked pretty well as in inspiration for your moniker
Correct, but Des's personal numbers in 2008 are repeated in 2021. As I said, I don't take numbers too seriously, but I do prefer to be positive. In the past, some teams have followed up a disastrous season with an exceptional season.

I think the appointment of his new assistant coach is a crucial one for Des. We need someone who understands the modern game and with the rule changes we will need a different approach next season to deal with this.

We are exposed time and time again for being slow and concede penalties and resets as we do not control the ruck.

We need a dominant 9 and I feared that our season was doomed because of that issue. The decision to allow Api to go and assume that Fainu would take over was flawed as Fainu was having to deal with shoulder surgery and would likely to have been delayed if he was available to play this season. Big mistake!!

DCE is a half that is not strong when it comes to organising and managing a game and the decifit we have at 5/8 is really killing our team. He persisted with Dylan there and Dyland did well but does not have a kicking game that a half needs. Since Dylan was out we have really struggled there and DCE is constantly forced to do all the work hence our lack of trys from kicks and the struggle to get repeat sets.

I think what stands out for me and to be fair injuries have forced this is so many players playing out of position has killed us.

What I do not understand is that Des only plays new players unless absolutely forced to and we it was obvious 6 weeks ago the finals were out of reach and it was the time to blood some new players and give them a chance.

I do not understand why he picks Waddell and Levi if these players are moving on and trying options like Oka who will do a lot more that Waddell and give a guy like Docker Clay a game to see if he can at least cope with it.

Yesterdays game showed how poor we are in our spine, Croker added ZERO and this guy has been in the squad week in week out during the last 14 matches of decline.

I repeat, for me it will come down to the younger players and they are our future and is Des prepared to play them. If we lose these kidsand keep the tried and tested failures it will be on the head of the coach.

Des has a great reputation in winning premierships and final appearances, If you look at his last 5 seasons with us and the Dogs , hes made the finals twice. His last 2 years at the Dogs were diabolical and this year its been very disappointing.

The club announced a week or so ago that they are keen to retain Des. This is going to be crucial and if they commit to him hes got to be allowed to get the team he wants.

I think there will be more players leaving and as a club we have to make sure that we try and balance our salary cap and get in players who are committed to our cause.

The time for sacking Des in my opinion is not now. What I would like to see is Manly appoint an assistant coach that will be groomed to take over once Des is done, we need a succession plan for this!

Well, that's as good as some of the theories I have read on here ...

I think the appointment of his new assistant coach is a crucial one for Des. We need someone who understands the modern game and with the rule changes we will need a different approach next season to deal with this.

Are you saying that we are about to extend the contract of a Head Coach .. who doesn't understand the modern game .... for another 2 years ....

I hope that is not the case ...

It will be very interesting for Desmonds longevity at Manly if we are 2 and 8 after the first 10 rounds next season.

Very interesting indeed.

Are you saying that we are about to extend the contract of a Head Coach .. who doesn't understand the modern game .... for another 2 years ....

I hope that is not the case ...
They need to decide ASAP what is going to happen about the coaching role. For me a sign would be that Des appoints an assistant coach who compliments his work. Des is old school, taught by Fulton and right now its obvious that there are some in the squad who are not buying into his coaching methods. This was a problem when he was at the dogs and led to his sacking there. Its a crucial decision that needs to be made and we need to get the players to buy in to what the coach is wanting otherwise we are in the same position if not worse a year on!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4