[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We don't have to cannibalize each other either though. We can be kind, it's not hard. No idea why he decided to just have a go at us for no good reason? I'm doing my absolute best to talk anyone around who's saying they are losing interest and/or giving up. That's what we should be doing.
Yep, I get it. Sometimes people forget the reason they started posting on ST in the first place and get caught up in the (mostly unnecessary) crap.
Think I've read on here a few times once the winning starts the whingeing stops, or something like that (thanks Bozo).
Des isn't known for wins at the start of the season...whomever coaches us next year can hopefully turn that around as we need some wins asap to lift the mood around here 🙂

What a horrible way for Des to go out,the constant leaks to the media are a disgrace.

Des has served the club well but this latest media shambles is an absolute embarrassment.

I can’t see Des picking up another head coaching role in the NRL, personally not a fan of what Des has done in his second stint at the club, however he seen that JetSki deserved to be picked ahead of Guaca was one that was head shaking.

Good luck to Des, though I am pleased the club is moving on and restructuring the football department as that’s what’s been lacking.

Heads up to Mestrov for sticking to one of his goals and that’s to keep the business in house.

Maybe mate. It ain’t over until it’s over… still can’t see Dessie forgoing a pay day…
Note I said 'shaky'... not 'gooooooone'...
Des won't jump, why would he? He knows he'll get paid if he stands his ground... our club is bloody good at paying coaches NOT to coach....

As a matter of interest (if there's any left) I heard Ben Fordham on 2GB this morning taking a poll on which coach would Manly fans prefer - Hasler or Seibold. Every single vote (and there were many - by phone, email and text) was for Des....an amazing result.

Whilst Des going may please some fans, this poll suggested there are going to be a lot of disenchanted fans too.

As a matter of interest (if there's any left) I heard Ben Fordham on 2GB this morning taking a poll on which coach would Manly fans prefer - Hasler or Seibold. Every single vote (and there were many - by phone, email and text) was for Des....an amazing result.

Whilst Des going may please some fans, this poll suggested there are going to be a lot of disenchanted fans too.
Des is a club legend but his 2nd coming has proved he is not the Messiah - and sleeping dogs should have been let lie...
Siebold (or 90% of candidates) is never going to win a straw poll against Des, but that does not mean he cannot have more success as a coach in the modern era...
Des has not delivered the Defense we were promised, the attack looks stifled without TTs pace and strength and his pick-and-stick selection policy has failed to motivate the players in the way that I am sure he hoped it would...
Time for new ideas and the fallout with head office is the final straw (yet pretty much par for the course with Des)

I'm no genius, nor do I claim to know what's best for the club. I do know, the way the club has acted is embarrassing. Des is a club legend and perhaps deserves better. However, many of us here, don't understand his tactics and to be fair, we haven't achieved a lot. Can we put that all on Des? Maybe not. I do believe though, something had to give somewhere. It could be the owners, but as long as they rule, we may suffer. Who knows, a overhaul may be what's needed. One thing is know, this is my club and will always support it. My memberships will be renewed.

Des is a club legend but his 2nd coming has proved he is not the Messiah - and sleeping dogs should have been let lie...
Siebold (or 90% of candidates) is never going to win a straw poll against Des, but that does not mean he cannot have more success as a coach in the modern era...
Des has not delivered the Defense we were promised, the attack looks stifled without TTs pace and strength and his pick-and-stick selection policy has failed to motivate the players in the way that I am sure he hoped it would...
Time for new ideas and the fallout with head office is the final straw (yet pretty much par for the course with Des)
(Not having a go at you just running with a line from in there)

Do people remember the situation at Manly in 2018?

It was dire. Des has brought through a whole team of young talent (contrary to comments about him not bringing stars through) and had us in a steady spot as an improving club

In a few years time we will look back and think about this. It’s all rushed and emotion-based. Penn has showed he’s irrational. We made top 4 last year. We were headed for top 6 without trbo this year. Sure we have ongoing issues but a year is a long time in rugby league and im sure we’d keep developing with a young side.

**** penn, im not going to any games next year. Certainly no membership. Not supporting that stain even if my life depended on it

Same weak gutted dog **** as des 1.0 and toovey sackings. We were apparently “unsuccessful” under toovey too. Then he was sacked and we came a whisker away from the spoon only a few seasons later with a rapidly revamped squad

(Not having a go at you just running with a line from in there)

Do people remember the situation at Manly in 2018?

It was dire. Des has brought through a whole team of young talent (contrary to comments about him not bringing stars through) and had us in a steady spot as an improving club

In a few years time we will look back and think about this. It’s all rushed and emotion-based. Penn has showed he’s irrational. We made top 4 last year. We were headed for top 6 without trbo this year. Sure we have ongoing issues but a year is a long time in rugby league and im sure we’d keep developing with a young side.

**** penn, im not going to any games next year. Certainly no membership. Not supporting that stain even if my life depended on it

Same weak gutted dog **** as des 1.0 and toovey sackings. We were apparently “unsuccessful” under toovey too. Then he was sacked and we came a whisker away from the spoon only a few seasons later with a rapidly revamped squad
Yeah, it comes down to perspective I guess... even the 4th felt like we were a million miles away to me because there was only maybe 6 actually competitive teams that year... the fadeouts at the end of 2020 and 2022 are unforgivably weak and, even considering injuries, point to a squad that lacks fitness AND resolve...
I am not going to defend Penn but Des has frustrated me constantly with his selection policy and we have had one too many capitulations for me... time for new thinking, and a turnover of 'talent'... imo...

Completely agree mate - we need a resolution asap - so everyone can move forward and decide how they feel about it, or what they want to do about it. There will be so much to do (and in very little time):

• Staffing (assistant coaches, fitness, recruitment, pathways)
  • Recruitment / retention strategies and decisions can be made
  • Membership can be clear, concise & on the front foot
  • Sponsorship consolidation - we can start making them feel the wamr n fuzzies again
  • Media will lay off us

etc etc etc.
Not to mention structure/ game plans etc!

Yeah, it comes down to perspective I guess... even the 4th felt like we were a million miles away to me because there was only maybe 6 actually competitive teams that year... the fadeouts at the end of 2020 and 2022 are unforgivably weak and, even considering injuries, point to a squad that lacks fitness AND resolve...
I am not going to defend Penn but Des has frustrated me constantly with his selection policy and we have had one too many capitulations for me... time for new thinking, and a turnover of 'talent'... imo...
I agree i wasn’t “happy” with how we were.

I also agree we didn’t have enough resolve. But I blame the players for that because Des teams historically are very, very resilient. That’s why i’m disappointed we let go of Foran, the toughest of the tough, for a young player that threw a tantrum because he couldn’t earn his place in the team.

Overall, this was a season where, in hindsight, making the top 8 would’ve been considered a decent achievement w/ no Trbo and a lot of players having iffy second-year syndromes

One thing many people percieve to not like with Des is that he waits very patiently to introduce young talent (or neglects them). But again, in hindsight was he often wrong over the last few years? Suli proved to be an inconsistent myth (sorry suli), Hopoate wasn’t ready and suffered when he was brought into the side through injury and Schuster is not professional or (importantly) experienced enough to take more ownership of the side.

Plus at the end of the day Des has learned a lot from the dogs experience where he was probably guilty of planning for short-term success. Here he has overseen a large proportion of the first grade team develop through the grades and make a name for themselves. That probably was possible because they were weened into first grade. We also have no Greg Eastwood stories and the Api release was totally logical w/ Fainu here (another factor that prevented Des’ success alot)

That’s why I find it unforgivable that the 7 players and Penn betrayed him at various points this season. A lot of these players owe the club and Des. Penn owes Des for reversing the tide after 2018 when literally no other coach wanted us.

Now we are throwing away years of trending player development and (at the end of the day) success for a new coach that was here with Barrett and will need urgent success to be liked. Des was playing the long game, like Gus at Penrith. I said this in another thread but when coaches like Bellamy, Des and Bennett come to clubs, unless that team is in a premiership window, it takes years to get real success. We were literally one of the weakest teams (mentally and physically) at the end of 2018. Des rallied them together for 2019 and we have trended up (with obvious fluctuations, usually from major injury lists).

We had all the signs that for 2023 w/ Trbo back and some tweaking of the squad that we’d be better than 2022; a season where in hindsight (had pride jersey fiasco not happened) we potentially overachieved. The playing squad needs some more resilient characters and luck with injury.

I am genuinly hurt that it has come to this. As a club, legends have to be more respected here. Probably spells the end of Brett Stewart helping out too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I also agree we didn’t have enough resolve. But I blame the players for that because Des teams historically are very, very resilient. That’s why i’m disappointed we let go of Foran, the toughest of the tough, for a young player that threw a tantrum because he couldn’t earn his place in the team.

Overall, this was a season where, in hindsight, making the top 8 would’ve been considered a decent achievement w/ no Foran and a lot of players having iffy second-year syndromes

One thing many people percieve to not like with Des is that he waits very patiently to introduce young talent. But again, in hindsight was he often wrong over the last few years? Suli proved to be an inconsistent myth (sorry suli), Hopoate wasn’t ready and suffered when he was brought into the side through injury and Schuster is not professional or (importantly) experienced enough to take more ownership of the side.

Plus at the end of the day Des has learned a lot from the dogs experience where he was probably guilty of planning for short-term success. Here he has overseen a large proportion of the first grade team develop through the grades and make a name for themselves. We have no Greg Eastwood stories.

That’s why I find it unforgivable that the 7 players and Penn betrayed him at various points this season.

Now we are throwing away years of trending player development and (at the end of the day) success for a new coach that was here with Barrett and will need urgent success to be liked. Des was playing the long game, like Gus at Penrith. I said this in another thread but when coaches like Bellamy, Des and Bennett come to clubs, unless that team is in a premiership window, it takes years to get real success.

We had all the signs that for 2023 w/ Trbo back and some tweaking of the squad that we’d be better than 2022; a season where in hindsight (had pride jersey fiasco not happened) we potentially overachieved
I get your point about the kids but they need the opportunity to grow into a role - and my main issue is the guys that continually fail being retained week after week after week after...
I am not absolving the players but the coach is responsible for creating the culture and the resilience of the squad and Des, for a whole bunch of reasons probably, has not managed to create that...
rainbow gate played a part but our late season form was reminiscent of the final months of 2020... 21 was a success but Turbo had probably the greatest individual season ever and the tails were up but this squad has demonstrated that it does not have any resilience or intestinal fortitude when the going gets tough...

I get your point about the kids but they need the opportunity to grow into a role - and my main issue is the guys that continually fail being retained week after week after week after...
I am not absolving the players but the coach is responsible for creating the culture and the resilience of the squad and Des, for a whole bunch of reasons probably, has not managed to create that...
rainbow gate played a part but our late season form was reminiscent of the final months of 2020... 21 was a success but Turbo had probably the greatest individual season ever and the tails were up but this squad has demonstrated that it does not have any resilience or intestinal fortitude when the going gets tough...
I agree with that notion too

But, historically, Des’s teams are tough as nails and Seibold’s team fell to their first ever wooden spoon despite early hype that he was an improvement over “and aging supercoach”. That’s what I think is irrational from Penn.

Bennett went on to succeed in a new environment with players that listened to him better and Seibold’s broncos (apparently stale with Bennett) sunk to the bottom to expose that their ”baby broncos” weren’t ready to explode onto the scene yet. That coaching change irreversably damaged many careers as it turned out the players weren’t experienced enough and weren’t resilient enough yet. The new coach Seibold wanted quick success and panicked when it didn’t come. It smells like a mirror scenario. As time went on, it emphatically told that Bennett was anything but past it and it backfired majorly for the Broncos. Souths were in a great position for the next few years with a more receptive squad and no one thinking they are above the coach. Brisbane’s players were proven mentally weak and the Broncos realised they backed the players when they should have trusted Bennett, the coach

We have essentially backed the players over the coach here (and neglected factors that affected recent team failures) and that usually doesn’t bode well

I would like to say I hope it does go well, but due to the way it’s all happened I actually don’t. I would like the see Penn get a lot of blame and sell the club when he realises the harm he has consistently done at manly. But I don’t know if he has the capacity to take accountability and he will probably just sack Seibold and blame him too.

I agree with that notion too

But, historically, Des’s teams are tough as nails and Seibold’s team fell to their first ever wooden spoon despite early hype that he was an improvement over “and aging supercoach”. That’s what I think is irrational from Penn.

Bennett went on to succeed in a new environment with players that listened to him better and Seibold’s broncos (apparently stale with Bennett) sunk to the bottom to expose that their ”baby broncos” weren’t ready to explode onto the scene yet. That coaching change irreversably damaged many careers as it turned out the players weren’t experienced enough and weren’t resilient enough yet. The new coach Seibold wanted quick success and panicked when it didn’t come. It smells like a mirror scenario. As time went to tell Bennett was anything but past it and got Souths in a great position for the next few years with a more receptive squad.

We have essentially backed the players over the coach here (and neglected factors that affected recent team failures) and that usually doesn’t bode well

I would like to say I hope it does go well, but due to the way it’s all happened I actually don’t. I would like the see Penn get a lot of blame and sell the club when he realises the harm he has consistently done at manly. But I don’t know if he has the capacity to take accountability and he will probably just sack Seibold and blame him too.
Yeah I am concerned Siebold is walking into a trap.... I would say that some key individuals (Pangai Jnr, Fifita etc) were moved between Siebolds failure and Kev's 'success' this year...
We need to get rid of the same type of players (those that think they are bigger than the team)

The article is a predictable one and it's time for Penn and Mestrov to stop the leaks and airing of our dirty laundry!

Make the final call on the coach and communicate with the players as to why they made the change.

We look so unprofessional and petty and our club needs clear air!!

Get it done!!

Now we are throwing away years of trending player development and (at the end of the day) success for a new coach that was here with Barrett and will need urgent success to be liked. Des was playing the long game, like Gus at Penrith. I said this in another thread but when coaches like Bellamy, Des and Bennett come to clubs, unless that team is in a premiership window, it takes years to get real success. We were literally one of the weakest teams (mentally and physically) at the end of 2018. Des rallied them together for 2019 and we have trended up (with obvious fluctuations, usually from major injury lists).
Well said. But hopefully the gains Des has worked for are not being thrown away and if (if, lol) Seibold takes over he can use his brilliant intellect and clipboard and powerpoint presentations to build on what Manly has been developing since the Barrett debacle.

But what a risk? And despite everything on ST about Des's shortcomings as head coach, some real, some imaginary, does anyone seriously doubt that this massive blow-up and instability is down to a power play and the fact Penn's ego couldn't bear being challenged by Des. Des's jerseygate speech was extraordinary and humiliating for Penn because what he said about the club's mismanagement was clearly correct.

In hindsight I wonder if Des was not merely doing what he always does - standing staunchly behind his players - but also quite calculating in using the opportunity to embarrass the owner.

Interesting comment yesterday from a 'new poster' in one of these threads: Penn is getting rid of Hasler and will then sell. I'm kind of hoping this person has some inside info.

Overall, this was a season where, in hindsight, making the top 8 would’ve been considered a decent achievement w/ no Trbo and a lot of players having iffy second-year syndromes

One thing many people percieve to not like with Des is that he waits very patiently to introduce young talent (or neglects them). But again, in hindsight was he often wrong over the last few years? Suli proved to be an inconsistent myth (sorry suli), Hopoate wasn’t ready and suffered when he was brought into the side through injury and Schuster is not professional or (importantly) experienced enough to take more ownership of the side.

Plus at the end of the day Des has learned a lot from the dogs experience where he was probably guilty of planning for short-term success. Here he has overseen a large proportion of the first grade team develop through the grades and make a name for themselves. That probably was possible because they were weened into first grade. We also have no Greg Eastwood stories and the Api release was totally logical w/ Fainu here (another factor that prevented Des’ success alot)

That’s why I find it unforgivable that the 7 players and Penn betrayed him at various points this season. A lot of these players owe the club and Des. Penn owes Des for reversing the tide after 2018 when literally no other coach wanted us.

We had all the signs that for 2023 w/ Trbo back and some tweaking of the squad that we’d be better than 2022; a season where in hindsight (had pride jersey fiasco not happened) we potentially overachieved. The playing squad needs some more resilient characters and luck with injury.

I am genuinly hurt that it has come to this. As a club, legends have to be more respected here. Probably spells the end of Brett Stewart helping out too.
Where do you get this notion that Schuster ‘threw a tantrum’ cause he couldn’t get into the team? Have you read or seen first hand that he did this? During many games Schuster was usually the first to run upto & hug Foran after a try! Have you actually seen Schuster throw a tantrum? Have you read the comments Schuster posted about his adoration for Foran? Have you bothered to read what Foran thought about Schuster? Get off the kids back mate & support him instead of posting what you think he did! Not once has the kid said anything untoward or posted anything to suggest he was throwing a tantrum about Foran etc! It was all his Manager & Schuster actually said in an interview he’s wrapped to be nurtured by Foran! I’m tired reading the rubbish this kid cops in here…..I’m over this crap. We’re no better than Penn. Seems he dislikes Des & we seem to dislike most of our players.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8