It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
I could live with this scenario:
Tooves to be appointed Football Manager in overall charge of everything.
Matt Ballin appointed Defence Coach, which would have overall charge of fitness.
These two to be added to thew current coaching/fitness group.
And Cartwright and Ferris sacked effective immediately

Manly Sea Eagles respond to Michael Maguire snub

Manly insists they are still in discussions with a number of ‘outstanding candidates’ after confirming it was unable to meet the demands of premiership-winning ex-Souths coach Michael Maguire.

Maguire officially pulled out of the race to replace Trent Barrett on Thursday, but refused to go into detail as to why he turned down the Sea Eagles’ offer.

Maguire did have some concerns over the facilities at Manly’s training and administration headquarters, but it is believed the major stick point was over the appointment of back-up staff.

Maguire wanted his own men brought in, but that would have meant hefty pay-outs for current assistants John Cartwright and Chad Randall and other staff members – something owner Scott Penn was not prepared to do.

There was also the possibility of having to work with current coach Trent Barrett, who will be made to work out the remaining months of his deal without actually coaching the side.

“The club is in ongoing discussions with a number of outstanding candidates to ensure the high level of professional coaching for its playing group in response to Trent Barrett’s resignation,” the club said in a statement to members.

“The club expects to confirm the outcomes of them in the near future.

“As a part of this process, it became clear the club could not meet the proposed terms of one of these potential candidates, Michael Maguire, and negotiations came to an end.

“The club remains in discussions with several experienced and highly qualified candidates with a view to making this key appointment a priority.”

Sea Eagles fans have been left wondering who the other ‘outstanding’ coaching candidates are, as the farcical situation at Brookvale escalates.

The job now appears Cartwright’s to lose.

Manly players are due back to pre-season training on November 5.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...rl-michael-maguire/100rwn4gb27zv1pkhd136kb46p

OK, so the post was just to throw pot shots at Barrett. Not to actually make a valid point. @:)
No... I have clearly articulated what my stance is on numerous occasions about Barrett and even used multiple examples of how I came to that view point. The post you’re referring to is a tongue in cheek jab at the different approaches to half time motivation between Tooves and Trent. They are possibly as different from each other as two men might ever be. Apart from the fact they were both representatives halves... one of them is a Manly legend and the other is clearly not. When Tooves got sacked, he sucked it up and coached to his very last game... when Trent felt the pressure, he handed in his notice in a way to secure some extra cash... oh... he did complain publicly about our facilities... he’ll always have that in his resume I guess.

.........The Turbos and DCE dominated the SOO series and if they can do that at that level then any competent coach can get them to dominate the NRL as well . I see better things ahead . Open your eyes feathered friend !!!
Delusional to think those guys will hang around this club in it's present state. Another year like this one and they'll be gone.

You're right.

If only there was someone at the club to handle player recruitmemt and management..........wait.....what!!??
Reporter-Trent... how do you explain the boys conceding a league worst 700 plus points this season?
Trent-Yeah nah... that was because I didn’t have a list manager.
Reporter-What about your mind boggling selections over the three seasons... and the way your team crumbled under pressure and got run down after having big leads.
Trent—Nah, yeah, nah... list manager.
Reporter-What about the gym your players are forced to use? The Waratahs often use the very same facilities and they made the semi finals of the Super Rugby Championship.
Barrett-Yeah... but they have a list manager.
Reporter-Ok, thanks Trent... very insightful.

Well, he is the owner, so what is your strategy, precisely?
I guess we could try howling at the moon.

Penn has declined to sell. So others are out there.

Does anyone honestly think if a club is run this cheap, it is going to survive?

Penn is tying his own noose as owner at the moment.

If you Force change now. In new owners hands perhaps there is a club left to save from the ashes.

Fund the fool, drag out the suffering from Penns hand for years to come, the current fan base will be long gone, great club people like Toovey moved on. The club's brand so far deminished.

What does a Penn membership fund? Seriously ask yourself. Are you paying to save our club? or paying for an owner to kill it.

In my eyes this now isn't Manly. It's broken.

And an owner who delivered you nothing on Wednesday night, just failed you again by refusing normal demands for Madge to pick his own support staff.

We all want to see this club successful.

If your not happy with where your club is at. Change it.

Change starts with you .

Change what you do. Don't be a member.

Hurt his ego and his back pocket until he sells.

There was also the possibility of having to work with current coach Trent Barrett, who will be made to work out the remaining months of his deal without actually coaching the side.
I really hope they're not thinking of keeping Barrett anywhere near the club once the new coach is sorted. With half the playing group acting as devoted acolytes to the former coach, it would be an unmitigated disaster.

I really hope they're not thinking of keeping Barrett anywhere near the club once the new coach is sorted. With half the playing group acting as devoted acolytes to the former coach, it would be an unmitigated disaster.
We already are an unmitigated disaster. Salary cap fines, Gladstone/Hastings, unfunded promises of staff, coach fiasco, constant media speculation on the clubs future. Really how much worse can it get ??

It actually looks like Gus Gould tricked Bozo, and Barrett was the Trojan horse sent in to destroy the place.

Oh poor old Bozo and who "tricked" him into Peter Sharp? The truth is Bozo should lose his option to ever pick a coach again he is 0 from 2. The only people who benefited from his reemergence in the club was his family.

We already are an unmitigated disaster. Salary cap fines, Gladstone/Hastings, unfunded promises of staff, coach fiasco, constant media speculation on the clubs future. Really how much worse can it get ??
Jacko Hastings for coach?

Penn farked up by agreeing to sign a rookie coach and didn't live up to his end of the bargain by giving him the support. When you fark up, you need to pay for your mistakes and move on. The fact that he had the calibre of a coach in Madge reeled in, but didn't want to invest in him by hiring his support staff proves that Penn has no idea how to run a successful club and is just a Penn(y) pincher. No decent coach would want to work with the rabble of misfits that was put together to help Barrett run our team to the ground. Sorry Scott, if you're not willing to reach into your pockets and pay for your mistakes then sell up and go into another venture that doesn't involve screwing 60 years of history.

Last edited:
I like Churhill as I though he was a resilient leader . I also like my chilled guiness as well . Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation
Sorry Bozo, moderation is over rated. Tried it for a week and it didn't work, it made me look uglier and I couldn't look in the mirror? Weird hey ........

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6