Rugby League books

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought Beaver's book was quite funny, actually, esp when he talked about times the players could enjoy a beer (with no mobile phone cameras around). Joey's book was good (pretty intense at times).

I got given a signed copy of wally Lewis new book from a friend of my sisters who thought I was a broncos fan pfft. I took to Phuket with me in November and read it was a great all about how he had struggled and hid his epilepsy

Chip and Chase said:
Anyone here read John Elias's book ?? Wasn't it supposed to have contained some explosive revelations ??

The John Elias book is a cracker. Not a boring book and very explosive. I loved how he remembered a story and Wayne Bennet gave his version and it was different to what Elias wrote.

I loved Cliffy's book and I also really enjoyed Beaver's book, mainly because it showed a bit about the Sewer League War from the perspective of one of the top players of the time but also because it encompassed the major portion of the time I remember following rugby league (I was 11 when he debuted). It's a shame the book wasn't written 12 months later though.

I agree with KE and liked Bill Harrigan's book. I had goosebumps when he described being part of the riot squad facing 100s of nitro(booze)-fuelled, pig-hating, iron-wielding louts on Bathurst mountain. Made reffing seem quite safe.

That bit does stick in your mind MB !

Graham Lowe is another I left off the original list I have read

I have more but all the books are packed away now with all the earthquakes, got sick of picking them up

Kiwi Eagle - are you in or near Canterbury then? Hope you weren't too badly hit!

I am in the red hot zone of it mate. The February one that killed plenty was centred about 5km from my work. You kinda get used to them, but the nights they continually wake you up are the ones that get ya. Paper today says that since Sep 4 2010 when we had the 1st, 500 days and 9500 quakes, 3000 of them 3+ averaging out at 1 every 4 hours

Are there plans to abandon the city? I can't imagine living under that threat. Do the experts say the worst is over? Glad you're still safe anyhow.

A lot of people have left, haven't really got those thought myself yet

The experts put out a statement last week suggesting to expect activity for the next 30years ! But who knows really, we had a long quiet spell before the 2 biggish ones on Dec 23rd

Interestingly last week lonely planet suggested it is 1 of the most exciting cities to live in right now haha

I'm enjoying Lockyers book atm. It's good to read and understand the thinking that went on considering the bloke had very little to say. Once you get past the qld'er and bennet love in, it's a pretty good read.

The Fittler Files is one I've just started reading. It's a review of last season and surprisingly good.

eagles2win said:
Has anyone read Bumper Farrell's one?
I've read the Bumper one. Not much about football in it. I met Bumper once, he told me to f..k off!

Moondog said:
The Fittler Files is one I've just started reading. It's a review of last season and surprisingly good.

eagles2win said:
Has anyone read Bumper Farrell's one?
I've read the Bumper one. Not much about football in it. I met Bumper once, he told me to f..k off!

Would have been an interesting read from his days as a copper

Seeing the above post is ol school and speaks of Bumpers book...another oldie that was great was Ian Walshs book...back when the biff was the norm...i do hate the dragqueens tho

eagleE said:
Chip and Chase said:
Anyone here read John Elias's book ?? Wasn't it supposed to have contained some explosive revelations ??

The John Elias book is a cracker. Not a boring book and very explosive. I loved how he remembered a story and Wayne Bennet gave his version and it was different to what Elias wrote.

The amount of inaccuracies in the Elias forced me to stop reading it. He was quoting plunges on trotters that didnt happen.
The names of the horses he quoted as winning at certain venues on certain dates didnt happen, I became aware of this as I was at one of the first meetings he quoted and a check of the results on the web revealed my suspicions were correct. After about 3 or 4 mentions like this I gave it away.

I suspect the book is 100% lies.

Chip and Chase said:

Was a pretty good read mate. Not sure how truthful it was but bloody interesting stuff. Not sure why he'd lie about trotting plunges he was involved in. He wasn't implicating anyone else.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6