Rugby League books

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagleE

Reserve Grader
I am currently reading the latest Jack Gibson book by Andrew Webster. It is a good read and I nearly finished the book within 3 days, I have been unable to put it down and luckily had the time to waste. It is one of the better Rugby League books I have read. The other one I really enjoyed was the Hazem Elmasri book. The Darren Lockyer book is boring. I know I will get howled down for this but I thought the Beaver book was boring as well.
What is the best or one of the better Rugby League books you have read? Are there any that really don't hold back? What made those books so great? Are there any other sports books that you could really suggest reading?

I enjoyed Beaver's book. Ian Roberts book is pretty good.
eagleE said:
I am currently reading the latest Jack Gibson book by Andrew Webster. It is a good read and I nearly finished the book within 3 days, I have been unable to put it down and luckily had the time to waste. It is one of the better Rugby League books I have read. The other one I really enjoyed was the Hazem Elmasri book. The Darren Lockyer book is boring. I know I will get howled down for this but I thought the Beaver book was boring as well.
What is the best or one of the better Rugby League books you have read? Are there any that really don't hold back? What made those books so great? Are there any other sports books that you could really suggest reading?

Apparently Shane Webckes not a bad writer his 1st book had good wraps , i just have his 2nd one chronicling his football career using his scrap books & memorabilia most of the stuff his mum had kept ..good reading.. Him & Pricey were good mates always in the same rep teams..
He ended up buying the pub in his home town , he has alot of ventures happening he is well set..

there is a story behind most of the news paper cuttings or trophies & medals in this book it`s not a bad book..
Has all his jnr rep teams pics , suprised how many made it into NRL even in the opposition teams he played against..

Anyone read Steve Prices book? It'd be interesting to hear his views on coffs harbour and the salary cap, etc.

Andrew John's - The Two of Me is a good read. A few Manly references in it, I found out what was behind him running out on Brooky Oval that day with red hair, I realized why the novacastrian supporters hate manly so much.. cos we absolutely smashed 'em at the begining of their clubs history. Contains alot more interesting pieces too.

Best I have are cliffies, moose, Wally o'connell, arko and Ian Roberts. Enjoyed beaver's too

"Inside Out" , by Roy Masters is very good,all about the Super League war.
Matthew Ridge's, "Take no Prisoners" is also very good.
"My Game" Ken Arthurson, great.
"Super League" Mike Coleman, very good.
Have lots of others, even a signed copy of the "Utility Player", pretty lousy though.
Most of these are out of print now, if you're ever down in the Sutherland Shire, you can borrow them.

The Menzies book is a snooze fest indeed.

Arko is the best I have read.

Other notables are the Webcke books (War Horse and Hard Road) are excellent, I enjoyed Cliff Lyons book (read it in a day though).

I also like Andrew Johns'book, even though I didnt like the guy.

The Moose that Roared was interesting, as was Big Artie.

I hated Ian Roberts' book, didnt mind Des Hasler and Michael O'Connor

Not football related, and containing a fair amount of lies, Bill Waterhouses book is a good read.

If you like cricket grab 10 for 66 by Arthur Mailey.

Something really funny and well written in Brian Johnson from AC/DC Rockers and Rollers, its a scream.

Phantar said:
What about 'Raudonikus - Rugby League Stories?'

The man was (and remains) a giant of the written word.

Slightly of topic could you imagine being around Tommy at the moment now that his beloved Maggies are playing there final season.

I still hold hope for them Newtown disappeared for while there as well only to come back as Easts feeder.

Frank Hyde's 'Straight between the posts', Andrew Johns 'The two of me', Cliffys 'From the Bush to Brookvale', Shane Webcke 'Hard Road', Hazem El Masri, Monty Betham, Paul Vautin are all ones I enjoyed. One that I really enjoyed recently is 'The Fitler Files' which is Brad Fitler's views on the 2011 season. It is an excellent read. Fitler can be surprisingly intelligent when he wants to be. I also always recommend Middleton's yearbooks as they are packed with information.

I thought Des Hasler's book by kennelly was terrible. Just more so for the style of writing, and IMO it didn't suit the story. I thought Fatty's was good and Beavers was OK. In terms of history, The Sea Eagle has Landed is a must in a collection for any Manly supporter.

Masked Eagle said:
I thought Des Hasler's book by kennelly was terrible. Just more so for the style of writing, and IMO it didn't suit the story. I thought Fatty's was good and Beavers was OK. In terms of history, The Sea Eagle has Landed is a must in a collection for any Manly supporter.

LOL. Ironic, a book about Des written by a bloke called Kennel(ly). Fate??

mozgrame said:
Masked Eagle said:

Really, it was a dog of a book.

Peter C said:
mozgrame said:
Masked Eagle said:

Really, it was a dog of a book.
Blow that dogwhistle ref, blow that dogwhistle...

Anyone here read John Elias's book ?? Wasn't it supposed to have contained some explosive revelations ??

Matthew Ridges one is really worth a read, highly recommend it

Another which was a surprisingly good read was Bill Harrigans effort

Have read Roberts, Jones, Freeman, Meninga, Todd, Menzies, Lyons to name some of them and didn't dislike any of them

Matthew Johns - From the Sheds is another one that I enjoyed actually

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4