Roy Morgan research on Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rexx

Reserve Grader
Stumbled across this site describing Roy Morgan Research on Manly fans, amongst other things. Had a laugh about the description of Bozo, but the rest had some interesting stuff:
http://www.convictcreations.com/football/manly.htm

Manly Sea Eagles
Silvertails who like to be the victims of the tall poppy syndrome

Manly entered the 1947 competition and choose the Sea Eagle - the native bird of prey of the Sydney coastline, as their moniker.

Just like the local residents, the club didn't take long in pissing everyone off. The neighbouring North Sydney Bears immediately suffered an exodus of players and dropped to the bottom of the ladder.

In 1979, Manly raided the ranks of the battling Western Suburbs; sparking a Fibro versus Silvertail rivalry that had Manly being universally hated.

At the end of the 1999 season, Manly agreed to merge with the insolvent North Sydney Bears. Although technically a merger, in reality it was a takeover designed to get NRL funding and gain access to the Bears' Gosford stadium. Reflecting the one-sided nature of the partnership was the new name "Northern Eagles." Norths fans, already uncomfortable about getting into bed with their historical enemy, wanted a neutral name. Manly just told them to get stuffed.

For two years, the board was plagued by conflict between the Norths and Manly factions. Eventually the joint venture collapsed and the licence reverted to Manly. The Northern Eagles name continued for the 2002 season before reverting to Manly for the 2003 season. Poor crowds at Gosford led to the stadium being abandoned as well.

Today, there is a paradoxical attitude to Manly. Most League fans want the club to do well as every competition needs a club to hate. Much to the distress of Manly fans, because the club is short on money and performing poorly, they now evoke feelings of sympathy.

Roy Morgan research

2004 - when compared to other NRL supporters

* 98% more likely than the average person to earn $70,000 or more a year
* 34% more likely than the average person to be in highest AB socio-economic quintile;
* 22% more likely than the average person to have drunk red wine in the last four weeks;
* 31% more likely than the average to vote Liberal

2006 - when compared to other NRL supporters

* 52% more likely to earn $70,000 or more
* 22% more likely to love to do as many sports as possible
* 21% more likely to avid dairy foods whenever possible
* 39% more likely to feel comfortable giving their credit card details over the internet
* 38% more likely to drink more premium beer now than they used to
* 36% more likely to have been to a BYO restaurant in the last three months
* 35% more likely to have travelled by taxi in the last three months

Icon

o Cliff Lyons - Half-back who just wouldn't retire. When he should of been discovering that he has a favourite chair, Cliffy was making men half his age look like rabbit lost in headlights.
o Noel 'Crusher' Cleal - Not the type of character usually spotted around Manly. Had an impressive Ned Kelly style beard and played like a bowling ball sending pins flying in all directions.
o Bob Fulton - Innovative half-back.

Manly Sea Eagle Jokes

Two boys are playing football in a park near Manly Beach , when one is attacked by a Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips off a board of the nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dog's neck. A reporter who is strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy.
"Parramatta fan saves friend from vicious animal", he starts writing in his notebook. "But I'm not a Parramatta fan," the boy replies. "Tigers fan rescues friend from horrific attack," the reporter starts again. "I'm not a Tigers fan either, " the boy says.

"Then what are you?" the reporter says. "I'm a Manly fan !!!" The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Spoilt brat kills family pet".

Interesting!

Reading through some other clubs..

Fatty on the roosters page as an icon (what the?) " Fat red-haired forward. Popularity may be on the wane now that the club has become home for the beautiful people."

Parra: "Attending Parramatta games is indeed a depressing experience."

Bulldogs: "Keeping the police force employed " and "As for the players, they are renowned for their love of a gang bang "

Excellent stuff Rexx probably proves Matabele's theory on the Silvertails site being attended by the 'above average' supporter.

Ohter points of interest are:

Byso is in the 31% more likely to vote Liberal
Daniel is in the 38% who drinks premium beer
George Rose is in the 36% who have gone to a BYO resturant

and finally does the high income levels of Manly supporters (mostly in excess of $70K) and the fact they drink red wine also prove Matabele's theory that the Rockers are not true Manly supporters. J/K

and finally does the high income levels of Manly supporters (mostly in excess of $70K) and the fact they drink red wine also prove Matabele's theory that the Rockers are not true Manly supporters. J/K

Pfft Matabele's theories!!!!, I love Red Wine but in deference to my Rocker Heritage it is generally a late 2005 Chateau Cardboard.

I am tempted by the true supporter comment but given that it was tongue in cheek I will make that the comment that several Sydney domiciled Rockers are making the journey to Suncorp this weekend, I wonder how many Sydney based Silvertails will also be venturing north of the Tweed this weekend. Perhaps we can all meet at the Normandy for pre game biffo.

I note with sadness that the Matabele has mistimed his sabbatical this year and will not be in attendance and that 2 of my favourite posters here, Sue Ridgepipe and Vegas will be in attendance at another watering hole.

Pete I can only assume that many posters at ST may have other interests than just Manly footy games.

Pete

I won't be making the trip to Brissie this year. I have pressing committments at home and am just back from 2 weeks fishing in the NT. Sue and Vegas will have to fly the ST flag.

It was good fun last year and it showed Rockers and Silvertails could actually survive in the same room without resorting to some biffo. I hope the result is a lot different though.

PS Yes it was tongue in cheek.

Pete I can only assume that many posters at ST may have other interests than just Manly footy games.

Clearly not "True Supporters" then!

Yes, Wheel it is amazing the size to which one's balls will grow when using the relative anonmity of a forum. I have yet to find a Manly supporter who I wouldn't offer my hand to.

Byso, I know your comment was tongue in cheek but we plan a trip to Brisbane each year, we have a few days at some resort and enjoy a few days away from the grind of work and cancer treatments. We just ensure that it coincides with the game in Brisbane. Does this mean we don't have other things in our life?

With Daniels efforts to include the news feeds from MSE I formed the view that there was, finally concillation efforts being made, whilst I don't take offence at your comments, others may.

im not going to brisbane so I am not a "true supporter".

I actually see that as a good thing!!!!

Pete I was in a bit of discussion with Aaron and my reply to the MSE IP requests was formulated, calculated and professional. It led at least to a better understanding between the parties and I agreed to help MSE by displaying their newsfeed whereas before we did not show any MSE content.

Also I cant make it this weekend I will be in the process fo moving

Peter, I know you and Jan have got it tough. I hope all the treatments are going well.

And my comment was an obviously tongue in cheek.

It led at least to a better understanding between the parties and I agreed to help MSE by displaying their newsfeed whereas before we did not show any MSE content.

Well done & congratulations, glad to see a bit of fence mending being undertaken.

[quote author=Daniel]
It led at least to a better understanding between the parties and I agreed to help MSE by displaying their newsfeed whereas before we did not show any MSE content.

Well done & congratulations, glad to see a bit of fence mending being undertaken.
[/quote]

I am also pleased to say that as a result of this effort Silvertails received a very complimentary reply from the former CEO and he congratulated us on our professionalism.

See we are not that bad a bunch after all. ;)

One day, it is to be hoped, the powers that be will realise you guys are a huge asset to the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4