Round One teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
SEA EAGLES TEAMS FOR OPENING OF PREMIERSHIP
The Manly Sea Eagles have named the following teams for the opening of the 2005 premiership matches in the NRL and NSWRL.

NRL

1 - Brett Stewart

2 - Scott Donald
3 - Terry Hill
4 - Paul Stephenson
5 - John Hopoate
6 - Michael Witt
7 - Michael Monaghan (c)
8 - Brent Kite
9 - Shayne Dunley
10 - Jason King
11 - Steve Menzies
12 - Sam Harris
13 - Ben Kennedy
Replacements:
14 - Luke Williamson
15 - Anthony Watmough
16 - Daniel Heckenberg
17 - Kylie Leuluai
18 - Chad Randall
PREMIER LEAGUE(Coach: Geoff Toovey) v Eels Brookvale Oval March 12 2 p.m.

Mark Lennon,Mitch Creary,Steve Matai,Karl Johnson,Jared Taylor,J.P.Cherry (c),Jeff Robson,Mark bryant,Matt Ballin,Adam Cuthbertson,Kane Cleal,Nathan Tutt,Nathan Hollingsworth.Replacements: Jordan Macey,Matt Austin,Darren peachey,Gary White,Brad Dempsey,Daniel Watkins,Luke Sweeney,Sean Dalton,Mailangi Styles.
JERSEY FLEGG (Coach:Josh White)v Eels Brookvale Oval March 12,3.45 p.m.
Josh Lewis,Ryan Cribb,Sean Meaney,Simon Yeo,Tom Joseph,Sam Key (c),Brendan Crabb,Dan Molenaar,Joab Hull,Bobby Bright,Jacob Martin,Chris Trembath,Josh Brown. Replacements: Ina Papera,Grant Jessop,Corey Kinsella,Michael Bowen,Mitch Taueli,James Donlan,Bryce Gearin,Wade Gilmore,Jesse Shelley,Rob Clarkson,Erhyn Taylor
NOTE: SG Ball and Matthew Shield will play Penrith in round three of the Junior Representative premiership at Brookvale Ovalon Saturday,March 12 prior to the Premier League and Jersey Flegg matches.Kick off times are SG Ball 12.30 p.m. and Matthews Shield 11 a.m.The times above for the Premier League and Flegg matches are correct with the Premier League game being played first.

Players unavilable in senior grades through injury are Ashley Alberts,Jye Mullane,Glenn Stewart,Chris Hicks,Phil Moorwood.
Travis Byrne is unavilable for round one because of suspension.

Ryan will be feeling better. A few gambles taken - Dunley ahead of pretty boy.

Handbag ahead of blue arsed.

Thats a pretty good team

Menzies in 11 and kennedy in Lock :shock: :shock:

Dunley in for Randall as we were saying, I think thats a great move.

The maajor weakness will be on hoppas wing, lets hope he stays in position and isnt facig off against a speedster and it should be alright

its a good bench too.

With Minogue ready to stop in to rattle a few teeth, Willo to take up any place where there are injuries or just to help with the work load. hecks to take the ball forward when needed.

very strong. 5 man bench though????

I'm also reasonably happy with the team selected , except for Hopoate . Stacey Jones will be kicking towards Hoppa at every opportunity. I'll be content with a committed effort from all the players & just hope that the scoreline is respectable.

Sunday's shaping up as a fairly big day in sport . Prior to the Manly game , the Danny Green / Marcus Beyer fight will be on Pay per view.

I agree Hoppa shouldn't be there, too slow for the wing now, the bench looks strong. I reckon Green will flatten him and then hopefully have a go at Mundine

They will target Hoppas wing until he is forced to drop back early int eh tackle count then they will either target him with high balls (although he is very strong under them) or simply spread the ball wide and try to run around the edge of the ruck then dart back in field away from him.

I have to say im pleasantly suprised. They went for dunley over Chad.

Its a good looking team, with Stewy and Hicks injured.

Hoppa is likely to be opposed to Meli (Let's hope so) and that should be a good match! Meli is not unlike Hoppa and is not an absolute flyer in the way that Rieck etc are.

There is hope yet.

Chad will be the travelling reserve just in case someone trips over in the sheds.

Good to see trial form being taken into account with Dunley getting a run. I am pleased probably the best we can up with IMO considering the players that are unavailable.

Hoppa is likely to be opposed to Meli (Let's hope so) and that should be a good match! Meli is not unlike Hoppa and is not an absolute flyer in the way that Rieck etc are.

There is hope yet.

only concern is if they atart trying to fire him up. He did alright in the trials but not great. Like you have said the best we have at the moment

I think though once Hicks comes back from injury and alberts also we will have hicksy on the wing.

Still think Creary should have a run soon

Thank god Terry Hill made a comeback otherwise we would be extremely skinny in the outside backs with Hicks & Alberts injured.

with 2 injuries, yes we are a little weak, but it is to be expected. However we do have creary and taylor who some think have enough to go ok in NRL. and johnson is the next in the centres. We still have some depth, albeit untried.

Although we have a very powerful backline, it is very, very slow. I would have hoped Peachey, Cleary or Luchetti got a shot, because based on trial form, Hoppa should not be in that team. He ALONE caused 10 points being scored against us in the Albion Park trial. I am afraid that Des is leaving Hoppa in the team for loyalty reasons only, and not pure form...

That said, we realistically have one of the worst backlines in the NRL, so lets hope our forwards can set a great platform to go from.

It is great to see Witt / Monnas in the 1/2's. Potentially a LETHAL combination.

With Hoppa in the team, I don't believe we will see Stewarts full potentially, because he positionally plays to compensate for Hoppas lack of speed, thus taking away from his attacking ability.

Your a tough marker Ryan

Brett Stewart is one of if not the best young fullback/player in the NRL (15 tries last year)
Scott Donald is consistantly one of the top 3 tries scorers in the NRL
Terry Hill is one of Manly's best ever centres

It is not the greatest backline but I would stack them up againts half a dozen other teams.

Take your point about Hoppa but with Hicks/Alberts injured I don't we had much choice.

Ok Wheel....I know I'm a tough marker. I would actually LOVE to see scores like this this year:-

10 - 0 to Manly

even: 2 - 0 to Manly

If that backline can stand up against the rest of field, maybe we have a chance.

I AM actually pretty excited about our OVERALL prospects though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4