Rodney gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blowfly

Reserve Grader
The Manly Sea Eagles have released hard working second rower Shane Rodney from the final year of his contract to enable him to sign a three year deal in the English Super League with the London Harlequins.
Rodney, 28, has played 125 games in the NRL. He is in his third season with the Sea Eagles after joining the club from the Penrith Panthers.

Originally from Tamworth, Rodney said he is eager to finish his career in the NRL with a premiership at the Sea Eagles.

“I have loved my time at Manly. The team spirit is as good as it gets and I would love to do a lap of honour with the boys come October.

“Manly gave me a new lease of life after an injury riddled last couple of years at Penrith and I am grateful to Des Hasler for the opportunity at such a great club.

“Leaving Manly will be hard but I have always wanted to play in England and this opportunity came earlier than expected and Manly have given me the chance to take it up,” Rodney said.

Rodney and his wife Jacquie are expecting the birth of their first child which has increased his desire for some security going forward.

Manly coach Des Hasler said the club was reluctant to let Rodney go.

“He is vastly under rated and is a skillful and tough forward who will play a major part in our tough road ahead this season. The value of a player is measured by his team mates and they love having him on the field.

“He will be missed but he is entitled to give his family some security in the years ahead.

“I know he will give us everything in the weeks ahead,” Hasler said.

A shoulder injury, sustained in the first match of the season, has restricted Rodney’s appearances this season but now has him fresh for the tough matches ahead. He has played only six matches this season but says he will be cherry ripe for the finals and is looking for good match time against the Canterbury Bulldogs at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

Source: Manly Media Release

Thanks Shane!! well this was unexpected but now they should have a bit more money to offer the youngsters, good outcome for all involved.

This is such a great story. rodney turned his career around atr Manly, signed a 4 year contract with us at was a bargain I believe. He has played great footy and is a no nonsense player

But as all teams struggle with the cap releasing a bargain player who is tough and experienced is a hard thing for the club, Its improbable he can be replaced for the same coin. Great decision Des, Manly and good luck to rodney

Isnt the Harlequins where Bailey aslo went? Maybe Dessie has arranged a swap for Bailey to return to Brookvale :p

I guess it was a given with all of the young guys coming through. Would've been a bad headache come next year when a lot of them were more ready for the NRL.

With that said it's a shame that Rodney couldn't have gone to a high profile ESL club, he is a top drawer player. Best of luck to him over there & I hope he can avoid the injuries.

Would very much like to send him off with a premiership though!

Last year was Shanes best year, until he was injured I thought he was our best forward (and told him so at a couple of functions).

It's sad to see players leave but I wish him all the very best and thank him for his time with the mighty Eagles.

No doubt we'll see more of the young guns on the books in 2012

I'm not that surprised. I know I sound 'wise after the event,' but a similar thing happened with Willow, who was released from the final year (2009) of his last Manly playing contract. They obviously want to keep Joe G, Mein Buhrer and co. So with Rodney unlikely to have been re-signed at the end of next year, now was a good time for him to shoot through.

Best of luck to Rodney (my name sake). I too thought he was the best in our pack before he got injured and will be saddened by him leaving. Hope he can end the season here on a high and remain injury free.

Thank fuk for that.. although he was better than bailey he just isnt suited to how Manly like to play it.. I seen this coming ;)

Its got nothing to do with young guys coming through, anyone would rather a forward with experience than a greenhorn ,it`s just like i said Rodney isn`t suited to the way Manly play ..

Thats a bit harsh Jjai, I think that Rodney was brought in to play a role & he did it well. However, we now have younger & cheaper players with more potential to fill that role now.

Rodney was brilliant at straightening up our attack & getting things going in the trenches when we lacked direction & our attack floundered as we tried to push it up the flanks every set. Certainly tightened up our defence as well. Watmough was better for Rodney's addition IMO.

Good luck to him has been a very handy player for us.

From memory he was signed on a heavily back ended deal because of injury concerns so this should free up more cap space than we would normaly expect.

I remember seeing Rodney when he 1st started at Penrith & thought "This guy will be a real gun". The injuries were pretty full on & he would prob have been an exceptional player instead of a solid player without them. Not a huge loss imo now, but the sort of quiet achiever who you can rely on for the tough stuff that his teammates would notice in the trenches.

It's likely to be Manly aren't prepared to offer him 3 more years due to his injury trouble and Super League are. Its a common thing in NRL these days, especially at clubs with a lot of young talent like us.

He was a great workman for the team and was one of the most consistent players for us in a tough 2010 season. He was a good clubman, hopefully we send him off with a premiership ring.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7