Rioters pelt police with Molotov cocktails

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Dozens of youths hurled petrol bombs at riot police in a third night of violence last night over the death of two teenagers in a police pursuit.

In wild scenes near Eucalyptus Drive, Macquarie Fields - where their friends died on Friday night - teenagers and young men screamed at about 100 police: "You killed our mates, you f---ing pigs. You deserve to die too."

Residents of Rosewood Drive clapped and cheered as a policeman was knocked down and could not get up, as a youth hit him with a heavy plank of wood.

By 1am today, the protest had grown to about 200 young people confronting police. Police decided to act when a car was set alight in Eucalyptus Drive, just before 11pm. They marched up Rosewood Drive and into Eucalyptus Drive chanting "move, move, move". Youths used rocks, golf balls, wheelie bins, bricks and other projectiles to resist them.

A car drove quickly through the police line and shopping trolleys were used as battering rams. At one stage four youths used a burning mattress to threaten officers.

By 11.30pm the group had been driven about 100 metres up the road, but the police line was sporadically broken by charges from the retreating youths.

Advertisement
AdvertisementAfter a confrontation in the street on Saturday night, police said yesterday a taskforce would be set up to review media footage of attacks on police. Task Force Loudon was established following rioting after the deaths of Dyllan Raywood, 17, and Matthew Robertson, 19, about 11pm on Friday. They were passengers in a stolen car that hit a tree in Eucalyptus Drive with an unmarked police vehicle in pursuit. The driver of the stolen car fled.

One 26-year-old resident of Rosewood Drive said of the rioters: "These blokes have been planning this all day. They've been going down to the petrol stations to buy petrol and scouring the neighbourhood for bricks and **** to throw.

"They've been taunting the cops all day long to come and they've succeeded and the pigs are f---ing stupid, man. If only they knew that the only way to prevent this happening is if they didn't take the bait. My mates wanted me to help them hurt a couple of pigs, but there's no way. I don't want to go back to jail.

"For the past 12 years the cops have been coming here throwing blokes into the back of paddy wagons and taking them on joy rides where they beat the **** out of them. It's no wonder everyone who lives around here hates the f---ing cops."

The State Opposition has called on the Government to create a specific offence for fleeing police and endangering lives.

The Opposition Leader, John Brogden, said a Parliamentary Staysafe Committee had recommended more than 10 years ago that a specific offence for evading police should be included in legislation, after a fatal accident involving a police chase in 1994.

The law now provided penalties for dangerous driving and failing to comply with a police direction but there was still no specific offence for trying to evade police in a vehicle, he said.

The Police Minister, Carl Scully, said last night there were already offences under the Crimes Act for resisting arrest and obstructing a police investigation but he was examining whether further clarification of these powers was needed.

"The officers who handled the [pursuit] have my support and gratitude," Mr Scully said. He told 2GB radio police involved in the chase were interested in "more than just dealing with a stolen vehicle".

Jamie Rayward, the father of Dyllan, blamed police for unnecessarily chasing his son, but said he did not blame the driver of the car who survived and ran off. "I can't blame him because they knew what they were doing," he said. "They all were in the stolen car. If they wanted to, they could have said no 'I'm not going to'."

Early this morning, the battle had broken into two fronts on Eucalyptus Drive. Up to 200 rioters were attacking about 50 police at each end of the area.

A large brick wall in the street had been painted with the message: "Cops Will Die".

Police had ordered residents into their houses. Just before 1am a very large fire bomb was hurled from a house. It struck a policeman on the shoulder before exploding spectacularly.

Shortly after that police charged and a police dog attacked a youth who was taunting the police line. He was taken away with blooding gushing from his shoulder and leg.

Early yesterday morning people pelted rocks and bricks at Operational Support Group officers in a street near the crash site, leaving some with minor injuries. Police had been responding to a call that rocks were being thrown at cars.

The attacks were reminiscent of those after the death of the Aboriginal teenager Thomas "TJ" Hickey in Redfern last year. In that incident local residents hurled petrol bombs and bricks at police.

Yesterday, the acting greater metropolitan region commander, Denis Clifford, urged calm. He said police were "attacked by a core group of up to 15 males and females who threw rocks, bricks and other missiles at the officers".

A 21-year-old male and a 21-year-old female were charged with riot and affray and other matters.

I think they all jumped back in their cars and went home to Dubbo - firetrucks and ambulances are more fun anyway :p

WTF is wrong with these people, The guys stole a car and ran from police, and some how it is the cops fault.

bunch of dick heads

Good to see that the media caravan has moved out of West Dubbo. We don't do molotov cocktails and rip signs out of the ground.

What is wrong with you Sydney siders? I don't think I'm going to come to a game this year. It's too dangerous.

I put that article up for you Mata......considering the press never report such things in Sydney. :p

I wonder if this crowd came from Dubbo :wink:

Just make sure you come straight down the highway and bypass Crapsville. Stop off in gods own country mosman, pick me up and we will go to the pub.

The the cop lights are on you pull over. Simple as that. But when "YOU" have stolen a car, and are making "YOUR OWN" decision to "BREAK THE LAW" and "SPEED" to try and loose the police, its your problem when you crash. I saw the father on the news asking why his son was chased to his death. Heres my reason:

Because people who act like your son don't diserve to live. It better he died than the family car travelling in the other direction. The looser, or the parent with children.... Gee, hard question.

And what's more, the Police just stood there with the shields up, copping bricks and rocks. Move forward, with those rubber bullet things, brake a few knee caps and get some arrests.

These holligans need a good beating and anal raping in gaol, so they don't do this type of thing again.

I would love to be the NSW Police Minister. I would be loved by all.

too right flip.

matas mosman is safe enough, only the occasional granny murder and drive by shooting at Minskys.

Would have thought with your heritage a few street riots would have been of small bother

We should head up to the oaks when mata comes to town.

Somewhere a little more accesable by PT

The Oaks is ok for me, but it has started to be taken over by a lot of out of towners upstairs, with far too many trendy leichardt style mullts moving in. Down stairs still looks like the local crowd though.

The much quieter Beuna Vista is better ATM

I like the oaks - easy to find, and generally a good view :wink:

and i went skiing in the US with the manager a few years ago so its nice to catch up.

Its aslo the best for when the bunnies play at NSO

I agree its on my door step and love it, just the crowd is changing there, its become a bit too trendy even for me.

I like the fact you get your own room to play pool in at the Oaks.
I haven't been there for a while but I noticed in the paper on the weekend it made mention in a review if the place that there were plenty of busty ladies there :clap:

In regards to the dickheads in the car- maybe their supporters should go have a chat with some of the famillies of innocent people who have been killed as a result of a car chase.
Sometimes it's simply a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't for the Police.
I did a story on the new cameras installed in the highway patrol cars for work last week and they are excellent.
They can zoom in (picture perfect) on number plates half a kilometre away and that will mean that Police don't have to continue with these high speed chases.
This will also mean that it will save plenty of time which is usually wasted in courts when people pit their word up against that of the police officers- now the evidence is there for all to see.

I go to the oaks quite a bit and I have noticed a trend in older people drinking there. Or maybe it is just that I am getting older now :shock:

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2