Rick Penn stands down from Board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Day off  :), came across this link from UK for supporter organisations.
http://www.supporters-direct.org/page.asp?p=2074#1

http://www.supporters-direct.org/page.asp?p=2457

Not sure if the trust structure itself has any advantages over our current FC structure (which is public company limited by guarantee).

But the strong community aspect is very interesting – in particular, “influence or change Ownership structures so that the Club, supporters and local community share the same purpose”.

In our case it appears to me that there are 2 fundamental inconsistencies in our set-up (and that is not even counting the clash of Delmege vs Penns)

First  â€“ Sea Eagles is a company which holds the NRL franchise and runs the multi-million dollar business associated with that. The FC’s main object (along with overseeing junior leagues) is acquiring and “holding” shares in Sea Eagles, (as though that is some passive role). Yet the FC is not empowered authorised or constitutionally equipped to run that multi-million dollar business itself (so far as I can see) – and that is quite apart from its lack of financial capacity to do so.

Second – the FC must try to acquire shares in Sea Eagles, but in order to raise funds for this it is in direct competition with Sea eagles who are trying to raise money themselves to subsidise the football operation.

It is as though the FC’s objects are a fiction. Add to that the role of the Leagues Club. I am not a member of the Leagues Club and am unaware of its constitution but historically the leagues clubs were a genuine link between the team and the community, and apart from helping fund the football operations they also contributed to other causes in the local area.

I don’t know the exact reasons for the historical separation of leagues clubs from football operations – but is it time to combine the leagues and football clubs under some totally new structure? Maybe like the trust referred to in that link? That structure might be not-for profit, yet empowered to run businesses (the footy teams, licenced premises, etc) on the basis that any profits go back into the costs of the football operation and also into the local community. It seems a lot of the Eurpoean football clubs are 51% owned by their supporters ensuring that there is local accountability and stability of ownership, but giving investors the opportunity to contribute…

Just raising these as questions… as matters that FC members might have an impact on and input into. Matabele has rightly pointed out that the first obstacle is whether or not the joint owners can resolve their problems, but that  beyond that there is a need to research new models of ownership. That seems true to me.

Well researched SER8!!!

This is a good move.

I now feel if the Delmege's do the same we are really getting somewhere.

There's no doubt the "bad blood" is between Max and Rick, not so much Max and Scott(who really acts for the family and his father anyway!!!)

Should Max stand down and delegate his vote to .......well a birdie told me that Jack Elsegood works for him, so what about a past player (rookie of the year in ????)....this might at least mean that Kerry and Jack don't come with any pre June 2009 "baggage".

I am still keen for one of the Eagles Angels to take that available spot (vacated by Kerry Sibraa), needs to be one with smart business sense but also one with the ability to help broker a peace plan!!

I look forward to further news!!!

Good post SER8

To update people - I have taken on a role working with the Football Club board as Membership Manager (doesn't give me free sarnies and I stood in the rain on the Hill yesterday not in a directors box - just thought I'd point that out!!)

I've been asked a number of times by various people to get involved with the FC board but have declined for a number of reasons but have worked with Aaron on a few things over the years at MWSE to assist where and when I could.

I now feel the time is right for me to get involved and to do my bit.

My role will effectively be to increase the numbers of members and revenue available to the FC to purchase shares in the Sea Eagles but just as importantly to improve the standing, accountability and visibilty of the FC and the board to the member base.

It is obvious that there is work to be done in a number of areas and I've put forward a plan that has been accepted and met with Bob Reilly on Friday to kick things off and he tells me he is happy with the direction I have suggested.

So far from the board members I have spoken with the feedback has been very positive and very encouraging

I'm heading overseas tonight for a couple of weeks and have some commitments work wise when I get back for a week so will get back with the FC board around mid July to continue with plans.

I will of course update people via this and the MWSE site as and when things are ready to roll and your post will make interesting reading in line with some plans I am proposing.

Cheers
Vidmar

OneEyedEagle link said:
My only problem with all of this is if she truly has the business skills that are required, if she does then I am all for it.

I just hope they didn't appoint her solely on the grounds of her being a female. That’s all we need is a woman on the board with a chip on her shoulder from the onset for being a woman and trying to prove that she can mix it with the boys. I know this may sound sexist but it’s not intended to be, however in my past observation in the business sense I have to question it.

Whilst i agree with the principle isnt Max's son on the board jsut because he is Max's son?

Congratulations Vid, I cannot think of a more passionate Football Club member to increase membership ( not suggesting anyone else who is a FC member isn't less passionate about the team but you know what I mean). I hope also it might give you an insight into the workings of the Football Club that you may be able to share amongst us all later in the year.

Fluffy the answer is yes the Delmege's have 2 votes as do the Penn's and as they own MWSE Ltd they would not want it any other way.

HOWEVER

By removing Rick Penn, AND, perhaps Max Delmege there's a "chance" you take away some of the angst and maybe allow for a more peaceful and free flowing board.

As I say above I look forward to further news from the Delmege camp now that the "Olive Branch" has been offered by the Penn's.

It's sad (very) for Grant BUT he did say to me a week ago that he felt him going might be the only way that a peace deal could happen....he may well be right!!!

vidmar link said:
Good post SER8

To update people - I have taken on a role working with the Football Club board as Membership Manager (doesn't give me free sarnies and I stood in the rain on the Hill yesterday not in a directors box - just thought I'd point that out!!)

I've been asked a number of times by various people to get involved with the FC board but have declined for a number of reasons but have worked with Aaron on a few things over the years at MWSE to assist where and when I could.

I now feel the time is right for me to get involved and to do my bit.

My role will effectively be to increase the numbers of members and revenue available to the FC to purchase shares in the Sea Eagles but just as importantly to improve the standing, accountability and visibilty of the FC and the board to the member base.

It is obvious that there is work to be done in a number of areas and I've put forward a plan that has been accepted and met with Bob Reilly on Friday to kick things off and he tells me he is happy with the direction I have suggested.

So far from the board members I have spoken with the feedback has been very positive and very encouraging

I'm heading overseas tonight for a couple of weeks and have some commitments work wise when I get back for a week so will get back with the FC board around mid July to continue with plans.

I will of course update people via this and the MWSE site as and when things are ready to roll and your post will make interesting reading in line with some plans I am proposing.

Cheers
Vidmar

Congratulations Vid well done I'm sure you will do a great job good on ya and is this a first for a supporter ? and mate I'm still waiting for your email ? regarding FC membership forms

Thanks EP - I sent the email to your optusnet account this morning at 9.33am with a PDF of the membership form - text me if you didn't get it and another address to try?
Cheers
Vid

vidmar link said:
....My role will effectively be to increase the numbers of members and revenue available to the FC to purchase shares in the Sea Eagles but just as importantly to improve the standing, accountability and visibilty of the FC and the board to the member base...

...So far from the board members I have spoken with the feedback has been very positive and very encouraging
Vidmar -is the board interested in consultation with members about any of these issues?
Or are they simply intending to announce some new measures to improve accountability etc to the member base...? ! ! ! !? ?

Yes, open to consultation (Well I am and can be the conduit to avoid things falling down cracks and to have a central point for collection as it were?)

I have put a proposal to the board which included aspects such as visibility and accountability to the members which was accepted and agreed with.

When I get back from overseas early July I will get my head down on this and will look for ideas, suggestions, assistance and volunteers to cover a whole raft of ideas and initiatives so would encourage any potential, new or existing FC members to get in contact with me then?

Cheers
Vid

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=OneEyedEagle link=topic=180832.msg228898#msg228898 date=1245625705]
My only problem with all of this is if she truly has the business skills that are required, if she does then I am all for it.

I just hope they didn't appoint her solely on the grounds of her being a female. That’s all we need is a woman on the board with a chip on her shoulder from the onset for being a woman and trying to prove that she can mix it with the boys. I know this may sound sexist but it’s not intended to be, however in my past observation in the business sense I have to question it.

Whilst i agree with the principle isnt Max's son on the board jsut because he is Max's son?
[/quote]

Touche' Fluffy that applies for both sexes not just male or female and yes I have seen some shocking male directors etc. I have to admit though in my line of work I have not seen to many be sucessfuls and the only woman that are on the boards are there because of company governance because they have a certain quota to fill.

Congrats Vidmar

vidmar link said:
Thanks EP - I sent the email to your optusnet account this morning at 9.33am with a PDF of the membership form - text me if you didn't get it and another address to try?
Cheers
Vid

Hey Vid, maybe you could ask Dan to get a copy put on this website like the way the "No one likes us" shirts menu selection or a "Sticky post" thread.

Im hoping for more than just the form. Hoping to get some graphics etc and advertising material and we may push it. Obviously nothing is for free though, and whilst I am happy to help I may as a favour or two somewhere down the line though

I am sure Vid could rustle up some spare space on the Hill next to him!!!

No Corporate Boxes and Champas for our Vidmar!!!

Just what you need Dan, a night with the Lunatics!!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I am sure Vid could rustle up some spare space on the Hill next to him!!!

No Corporate Boxes and Champas for our Vidmar!!!

Just what you need Dan, a night with the Lunatics!!!

im not a corporate box sort of guy unless it is with a load of mates and my dad and brothers etc. Nope much more of a being amongst it guy

Fro link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=180832.msg229185#msg229185 date=1245720766]
of course I meant ask...fixing now

No thanks necessary Danny :)
[/quote]

none was offered :)

Corporate boxes for major events can be fun (I get the occasional invite in my job) BUT when supporting Manly NOTHING beats being there yelling with the LUNATICS!!!

I just wish they had better toilet facilities on the hill for us old farts who have three beers and then want to piss all night long!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4