Rick Penn stands down from Board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
THE Manly Sea Eagles have been the first club to answer the NRL's call for more women on boards by appointing Kerry Chrysiliou as a director.

Chrysiliou said she hoped to bring a calming influence to a board that has been dominated by bitter infighting and a club marred by controversy this season.

Their star player Brett Stewart has been charged with sexually assaulting a 17-year-old while Manly chief executive Grant Mayer handed in his resignation last week.

Chrysiliou has stepped up from being co-owner Rick Penn's alternate director to a full-time director.

Penn has stepped aside to become the alternate director.

The lawyer, a long-time Manly fan, said yesterday she was delighted by her appointment.

She believes more NRL clubs could do with a woman's voice. "There are many boards that could do with a female influence," Chrysiliou said.

"I think women can be very settling. We can take some testosterone out of the way that some board members behave. I think it can be very beneficial to have a woman on a board. We'll see what happens."

"This club, they've got the Penns that are behind them.

"They are very sensible, very family orientated people, I think that sits well with the sort of team Manly is. I'd like to see that run through the board as well. Hopefully we'll get rid of the controversy and focus on the game."

In a season that has been littered with off-field incidents that have rocked the code, Manly chairman Scott Penn said the Sea Eagles wanted to be an NRL club at the forefront of change by promoting a woman to the board.

"From a Manly perspective we are absolutely looking at taking a leadership position on this issue," Penn said.

"Obviously we haven't had the start to the year off the field that we wanted - that's happened for a variety of reasons - we now like to think we know what's happened. We just need to get on with it and certainly our fans are looking for us to take a leadership position on a number of issues and this is the first step in saying we very much want to be leaders."

Rick Penn said he was happy to give up his spot on the board for Chrysiliou.

"We just feel she can bring something to the board that is really important at this time," he said.

"There is a lot of testosterone at board level in Australia, women are very practical, they want to get outcomes, they want to see things done properly. It's important to have women there to break down this testosterone and stop bashing each other up."

Before now, there were only three women on club boards: Dawn Fraser at Wests Tigers football club, Lyn Wallace at Parramatta Leagues Club and Petra Fawcett at the Melbourne Storm.

Just what we need another arrogant solicitor on the board.  What about someone with business acumen?

kingyfan link said:
Just what we need another arrogant solicitor on the board.  What about someone with business acumen?
Maybe she is a humble solicitor like jason will no-doubt be.

byso link said:
Delmege wasn't mentioned once, not a good start.
Yes, she is a Penn nominee, not a choice by the board as a whole...The board still has to fill the casual vacancy caused by Sibraa's departure, don't they?

I'd assume that she is firmly entrenched in the Penn camp if she has been an alternate director for some time. A bit of female tokenism isn't going to solve this.

Chip & Chase link said:
I'd assume that she is firmly entrenched in the Penn camp if she has been an alternate director for some time. A bit of female tokenism isn't going to solve this.

No it won't but it's more of a start than anything Max has done.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=180832.msg228879#msg228879 date=1245623430]

No it won't but it's more of a start than anything Max has done.
[/quote]
Does Max have a granddaughter? or maybe a niece...

Chip & Chase link said:
  The most fraught relationship on the board has been Rick versus Max.  Maybe there can be a chance to settle differences without that static.

Dan link said:
its a start I guess
If you are right - that is what was needed, a start. In combination with Grant standing down it would appear Penns are offering some sort of olive branch. Who's move next?

lets hope that its not all ones sided and the we dont start making oil from the olives

My only problem with all of this is if she truly has the business skills that are required, if she does then I am all for it.

I just hope they didn't appoint her solely on the grounds of her being a female. That’s all we need is a woman on the board with a chip on her shoulder from the onset for being a woman and trying to prove that she can mix it with the boys. I know this may sound sexist but it’s not intended to be, however in my past observation in the business sense I have to question it.

You do know that Mr Squiggle was a puppet right? But he could still draw

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=180832.msg228876#msg228876 date=1245623118]
Yes, she is a Penn nominee, not a choice by the board as a whole...The board still has to fill the casual vacancy caused by Sibraa's departure, don't they?
[/quote]

Is there any word on who will be Kerry Sibbra's replacement?    

Hopefully it will be someone with impressive credentials.

Dan link said:
You do know that Mr Squiggle was a puppet right? But he could still draw

I thought that Mr Sqiggle was real and now you are saying that he was just a puppett.  My childhood has been destroyed. 

tookey link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=180832.msg228878#msg228878 date=1245623409]
[quote author=byso link=topic=180832.msg228876#msg228876 date=1245623118]
[/quote]

Is there any word on who will be Kerry Sibbra's replacement?   

Hopefully it will be someone with impressive credentials.
[/quote] PResumably it will be drawn from the Football Club Board.  Of that mob I'd prefer Toovey get the gig.  Can't see it happening though?

Too many boards, it really is hard to keep track of who is who...

I was referring to the casual vacancy on the FC board, I thought someone had already taken his possie on an interim basis on SeaEagles board?

I bleieve it is a huge gesture by the Penns. I am getting a bit more confident that we are going somewhere at last.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6