'Reverse Super League' on the cards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Breakaway threat?

Interesting mutterings in the papers today that the 16 clubs are united in a decision to form a breakaway competition should the independent commission not get off the ground and produce some more cash immediately. I can see two immediate positives:

1. Good bye Gallop.
2. We can talk about something other than our own faceless men.

RE: Breakaway threat?

Yeah that would be nice, on both accounts. Management in both organisations needs an immediate shake up.

RE: Breakaway threat?

The papers today still have Manly making a loss of $1m despite the late season earnings from the GF win. If the clubs get an additional $2m it will help though clearly the Eels believe the most of it will just be swallowed up by salary cap increases.

To be honest a breakaway has attraction because it will put a broom through the self-interest and blind injustice of the Gallop regime. What remains to be seen is what it would do for things like junior development and bush football.

Surely they wouldn't invite Sharks to the party. One of the other groups trying to get into the NRL would take their place.

Brissie Kid said:
Surely they wouldn't invite Sharks to the party. One of the other groups trying to get into the NRL would take their place.

The Sharks are good at Superleague. They made the Grand Final.

bones said:
Brissie Kid said:

The Sharks are good at Superleague. They made the Grand Final.

I'm sure News Ltd were hoping in 1995 for better Sydney clubs than the 3 inferior clubs they got. If Super League had've got Manly and Roosters not Sharks and Panthers I would have watched it.

The Superleague Grand Final was the only Grand Final of the last 30 years I didn't watch.

We can only hope that Gallop is the first up against the wall following this revolution. Would love to see his head on a spike outside NRL headquarters.

I doubt this is any more than hot air, but I would love to see News Ltd's own precedent used against them.

The only problem I see with a breakaway comp is whether it will make the current players' contracts null and void sparking another price hike and bidding war for players as was the case with superleague.

ManlyBacker said:
NRL clubs are considering breaking away from the NRL to start their own competition, in a move described as a ''reverse Super League''.

Read the full article

Added a longer article from The Australian.

Been there done that.. just f**s the game for 5yrs, these twits that want to break away come back again anyway, they realise they cant survive.

Chip and Chase said:
We can only hope that Gallop is the first up against the wall following this revolution. Would love to see his head on a spike outside NRL headquarters.
Might not put his head on a spike but he wouldn't get a blindfold or a cigarette.

Funny, now that the tables are turned that the news ltd media are saying that the NRL are being held to ransom by the clubs.

Chip and Chase said:

Funny thing is, he does a pretty good impersonation of that already. His disconnected head might look less grim if anything.

This has been on the cards for a while now.

Have heard that a lot of clubs aren't happy with the fact that Gallop is guaranteed the CEO as well

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2