Reuben Garrick

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
if we lose this week against the Dragons and Garrick continues to not run into holes and make no run metres in attack, will Des keep picking Garrick at fullback?

Has Funa ever played fullback?

I Admire his effort and will to learn and improve. But he cannot pass, is not fast and lacks ANY penetration in his running game. Continually gets ragdolled.

those are three pretty critical modern fullback traits he just does not have

Des, through stubbornness or perseverance seems reluctant to change tack. And it’s to our detriment in my opinion

I Admire his effort and will to learn and improve. But he cannot pass, is not fast and lacks ANY penetration in his running game.
I agree Garrick is not a penetrative runner of the ball, however, I have seen him throw good passes. He is fast, but not off the mark. With a metre or so start, he usually doesn't get run down. If it was him, rather than Funa, taking that final pass against the Knights, his speed & strength may have got him across the line. Garrick is a good finisher & I think the team would be stronger if he plays in his best position on the wing.

I rate Garrick as a good to very good winger. Is always positioned well and finishes. The try he trampled King Guffo, which was wrongly disallowed, is a perfect example of what he has. He's a keeper on the money he commands.
He has no experience as a FB and is performing well there considering, but there are obviously reasons unknown to us why Des has put him there.

He has been very good, don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
Put Garrick back on his wing and throw the pending mormon_mission guy to the wolves at FB.

I rate Garrick as a good to very good winger. Is always positioned well and finishes. The try he trampled King Guffo, which was wrongly disallowed, is a perfect example of what he has. He's a keeper on the money he commands.
He has no experience as a FB and is performing well there considering, but there are obviously reasons unknown to us why Des has put him there.

He has been very good, don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
Put Garrick back on his wing and throw the pending mormon_mission guy to the wolves at FB.
I don't think Hoppa would do any better than Garrick has done at Fullback. People say Garrick doesn't have a passing game but either does Hoppa.
When Funa made that break on the bell last week it was Garrick first on scene in support to put himself in a position to win us the game. He will only get better.
Hoppa is a kid coming off 2 major surgeries that hasn't even played NSW cup, hasn't even played a game in nearly 2 years. I'm not sure we will or even should see him play this year. And even if he did get a start it would be wrong to expect him to do any better than Garrick has. If anything he should be eased in on the wing

I have been very disappointed in Garrick this year even when he has been on the wing.
I'm not sure if he has overdone the weights in the off season, he looks bigger to me but also looks slower and a lot less agile. Compared to the other wingers out there he is way down the list.

His goal kicking has also gone to pot, what is he at, around 63% this year?

Manly have got it a little wrong at the moment, we need to get some genuine speed into the outside backs. Tafua, Suli, Parker, Garrick are all a little slow for their positions. We need to swap at least 1 of these guys out for pure speed.
Speed is not the issue IMO . We have won games with out Turbo and Walker and with these same players .
At the moment we are losing games from teams that are out smarting us in set plays and positional plays . We need to get our mojo back asap !

With ball in hand we play the game at far to slow a pace. The Rorters do everything twice as fast fast as we do and we are far to flat in attack. Coaches that have the most enduring success like Bellyache are coaches that adapt quickly to changes in the game and aren't afraid to blood new blood. We look to be using about 24 players out of our top 30 so far this year. Of those we are currently without Turbo, Walker, AFB. Apart from Fainu I wonder whats happened to the balance of our squad. I am most concerned that a hooker in our squad has ended up back in PNG. He could have been real handy right now. Curious.

Garrick shows decent speed in the open, but does lack Explosive pace.
His returns are way down the list in NRL standards.
I do however think he is a reliable type winger and in fact, very good value for the salary he is on.
Not every team has the Roosters accountant or salary cap and can afford rep players in every position...Garrick is a goer and any player that gives his best is exactly what we need right now, I reckon will have a solid game against Illawarra.
I never got ppl rating him a rep candidate based on anything really, but like his efforts and see him a part of our best 13 at full strength and we have a team that is a contender...good 1st grade player with a long career ahead.

To be fair, Garrick perhaps isn’t a natural at the Fullback position but he does have good all round skills. He clearly improved from the sharks game to the knights & we can be reasonably confident he’ll put in another good performance against his former club. The effort and concentration required to play a different position can hopefully serve to up skill him, and make him a better player.

Along with his improved positional play and defense over the past couple of games, for this match I’d like to see him push up thru the ruck to give an extra option for Levi, DCE and Cust. There are plenty of opportunities there to exploit. Opposition teams are wary of Turbo doing just that but probably don’t expect it from Garrick.

Reuben's Goal Kicking

Throughout the forum it is oft repeated that Reuben has been kicking poorly this year @ 67%.
However, his stats have been skewed adversely by a shocker in the Bulldogs game - 2/7. His record in the the other ten games is good 25/33 = 76%. Overall, he has had limited kicking opportunities this season with the team scoring just 31 tries in 11 games!

Here are Reuben's stats, game by game:

Rd 1 v Storm 2/2
Rd 2 v Roosters 2/3
Rd 3 v Bulldogs 2/7
Rd 4 v Eels 2/4
Rd 5 v Broncos 4/5
Rd 6 v Raiders 3/3
Rd 7 v Sharks 3/5
Rd 8 v Knights 2/2
Rd 9 v Saints 0/1
Rd 10 v Eels 3/4
Rd 11 v Cowboys 4/4
Rd 12 v Panthers 2/2
Rd 13 v Warriors 3/4
Rd 14 v Knights 4/4
Rd 15 Rabbitohs 2/4

Last edited:
He just needs to practice from that spot to the right of the goal posts where he seems to friggen always miss.

Probably why Suli doesn't score many ... he doesn't want Garrick to try and convert them lol

I mean surely Garrick knows this??? I dunno, maybe he does practice.

This guy deserves enormous praise for his performances this year. He's our 1 shining light in a depleted and beaten up backline. Last week he deserved that robbed win more than anyone. 70 post contact meters out of 221m run. 2 tries just a pity the 2 goals missed didn't get us the deserved win. He'll go great at fullback now and I hope he kills it.

This guy deserves enormous praise for his performances this year. He's our 1 shining light in a depleted and beaten up backline. Last week he deserved that robbed win more than anyone. 70 post contact meters out of 221m run. 2 tries just a pity the 2 goals missed didn't get us the deserved win. He'll go great at fullback now and I hope he kills it.
He is a top 5 winger in the comp easily. He's grown and improved so much, only really had one bad season in 2020 with like 20 other guys in our side that also had a horrible season that year. Reuben is so much stronger now, rarely gets ragdolled and runs with power and is a very good yardage carrier nowadays, he's faster, burns people with pace, and he is a high percentage finisher. He's also one of our more assertive communicators in our side and louder voice which is why I trust him at Fullback.

He is a top 5 winger in the comp easily. He's grown and improved so much, only really had one bad season in 2020 with like 20 other guys in our side that also had a horrible season that year. Reuben is so much stronger now, rarely gets ragdolled and runs with power and is a very good yardage carrier nowadays, he's faster, burns people with pace, and he is a high percentage finisher. He's also one of our more assertive communicators in our side and louder voice which is why I trust him at Fullback.
There may be something to the "second year syndrome". Sandwich suffered from it, and I can't see a greater example than Bradman Best. Prior to his elbow injury he was just a shadow of his break-out year.

Garrick just looks like a player that will win a premiership one day. Love having him at our club
I thought he had an average 2020 but was great last year. But this year he is next level almost makes you think could turbo play in the centers. I said almost.

I know he got banged up last night but the one thing about rubes that's has been concerning this year is his goal kicking and it has cost us wins against parra and the cows.

Granted we make it hard for him scoring out wide a lot but we need him back kicking in the mid 80s

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4