Reform School A Failure!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
In hindsight it is interesting to what a dismal failure was the strategt of purchasing failed 'badboys' (at cheap prices) from other club, hoping for a second chance and a positive impact for Manly. McGuiness had one season under Sharp and was released before Des started (acrimoniously), Solo lasted two mediocre seasons (on Mogadon), Andrew Walker was wiped out due to drugs (though had some good attacking moments (making Monas look good) and Hoppa was Hoppa - spending most of his time suspended, though playing some good footy (especially in 2003). (The only ex-badboy we didn't get was Criag Field and that is because we had already tried him - and failed!!)

All the media talk of them being part of the pool of Senior players who would bring on the youngsters came to nought - who was writing that nonsense anyway? It didn't translate in positives for Manly and could only be considered a failed experiment!!

Goes to show that the Sheens theory of getting rid of players with poor attitudes (despite their ability) and building a winning culture is more important.

The two BKs were very important purchases and hopefully Bell and Orford will add more to a winning feeling and work ethic that needs to further develop at Manly. We need more winners rather than ex-Reform School inmates. The new players need to add leadership as I think this is an important aspect of our team that hasn't been much discussed. Since Monasgate we have not seemed to have much leadership apart from the example of Ben Kennedy.

I also have been concerned about recent comments from many posters of good young players who were pointed out to Manly officials, for nothing to happen and other clubs to snap them up. I have every confidence in Crusher, who has brought on brilliant talent (and needs time) but I am concerned that there are hints that others in the club are not supporting the process of recruiting the best. At least we aren't relying on the reform school for our leaders.

I thought Kevvie was pretty good

Are you joking, he was a turnstile and was an ordinary attacker.

I'm surprised to see CW not approve of one of Dessies policies.

he scored tries and set up his winger....we havent seen that from our centres all year.......

Well - we definately don't have any loose cannons anymore. Look at the guys coming through in:-

Steppa
Alberts
Witt
Stewart
Watmough

All very well mannered professional young lads.

Add to that Matt Orford & Steven Bell who aren't really the most chaotic people and we are in good hands.

I'm surprised to see CW not approve of one of Dessies policies.
I think this supposed initiative was taken on before Des was appointed. I think also when you are late on the market you have to take what players you can get and recruitment strategy only develops over a period of time. It takes several years to lay the foundation and we are only three years on from the NE Debacle and also it is only 2005 that we are spending to the limit of the cap.

Part of me is frustrated by the spin from the media about the 'reform school' and senior player bit for Hoppa and the like. A bit like giving jail inmates the keys to the guards' armoury if you ask me.

I'm sure Dessie would have had an input into Walker and Hoppa. But he did well turfing Guiness.

...and the same goes for any chumps coming across from union and trying to make a go of it.
All too often you see players who struggle to make the grade in Super 12 come across and struggle even harder with League....(Luke Sweeney)
League players (even average one's like Lenny Beckett) seem to have no problems doing the reverse...maybe because it's a less demanding game....

Great post CW and so very true. Go for the culture, clean out those with a poor attitude and success will come.

Lets hope that there is no truth in recent rumour that we were talking to Willie Manu.

It had me baffled that time he flopped his member out at Tigers training a couple of years back while Tony Adams was reading a sport report and got away with it.
Considering the evidence was there for all to see???

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4