Referees ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

nodd

Bencher
The refereeing seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Something that gould has said and I actually agree with is - the referees seem to lack actual football knowledge. Sure they know the rules , but they don't seem to understand the actual intricacies of actually playing the game. Because of this they play to the letter of the law rather than show some plain common sense in some of their rulings.

If there were more refs who had played to a higher level they may do a better job.

What I hate is the inconsistencies... you can watch each week and have the same type of play be interepreted 2 different ways in different games of football.
Example: double movement.. there were trys awarded that where more blantant than Stewies gainst the warriors which was dissallowed.
Example: decoy runners creating shepards in attack - how do you work that one out?
Example: benefit of the doubt tries and penalty tries?

Rules should be black and white not grey, every game should be the same. I want a 50/50 share - PLEEEEASE

Penalty tries seem to have been wiped of the radar. For mine if a play was going to score, such as kites stripping and was fowled, how can it be anything else but a penalty try.

It seems the refs don't have the balls to make the tough calls anymore.

I hate this idea of "Having to have played at a higher level" crap though!

Obstruction is the big problem this year. It is changing from game to game and ref to ref. A play that one team scores off, 2 hours later in another game that same play is an obstruction and costs them the game. The NRL need to fix it quickly because its tainting games.

Interpretations of various rules have changed. I think the video ref has impacted on the confidence of refs as they lack the conviction to make a call - they are under such media scrutiny as well which makes it hard.

Like flip I hate the current obstruction rule - when I played it was considered clever if you could fool a player that some decoy was going to get the ball. As long as you didn't take out, obstruct a player or shepherd being another one you were okay. The rules need to favour attacking footy in my opinion. The issue is that there are different interpretations on the same law on the same day.

Double movement is an absolute joke of a rule.

Get tackled anywhere in the field of play (outside of the 6" zone near tryline) and you can crawl, push, dive forward, wrestle etc etc and promote the football to your hearts desire. No problems.

Get tackled in the in goal and you can push, dive, wrestle, whatever, in an effort to ground the ball. No problems

Get tackled in that 6" zone near the tryline and you have to instantly freeze every muscle in your body lest you commit the heinous crime of "double movement".

Just make the rule if you can get the ball over the line and ground it, than it's a try. I don't see what the problem is, it's a simple ****ing game.

[quote author=Daniel]
Penalty tries seem to have been wiped of the radar.

Yeah I havent seen a penalty try since....................................Yesterday :)

[/quote]

I have a life I dont watch footy unless Manly are involved ha ha

I agree with C&C on double movement. It is crazy. I watched a try on Ch9 yesterday and my first thought was that it was almost identical to the disallowed try of Brett's.

In general, and despite us being on the end of some crappy calls, I think the refing is better this year. The obstruction rule is a huge exception.

[quote author=Fro]
[quote author=Daniel]

Yeah I havent seen a penalty try since....................................Yesterday :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nor do I but I am still aware of other things happening, theres these things called newspapers and Radios which report news on them ;)

Penalty tries seem to have been wiped of the radar. For mine if a play was going to score, such as kites stripping and was fowled, how can it be anything else but a penalty try.

It seems the refs don't have the balls to make the tough calls anymore.

I hate this idea of \"Having to have played at a higher level\" crap though!

Were we playing the Roosters when this fowl occured ;)

[quote author=Daniel]
[quote author=Fro]
[quote author=Daniel]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nor do I but I am still aware of other things happening, theres these things called newspapers and Radios which report news on them ;)

[/quote]

Once again if its not manly i dont care

I would never agree with anything Gould says on principle. I think the referring is as good/bad as it always has been. It's a tough and thankless job. I did it with under fourteens and it was awful. Abusive kids, parents and everything else on the sidelines, let alone all the rules etc in the game. Teams just have to adjust to the idiosyncracies of referrees. That's a coach's job to identify those things and mention them to the players. My pet hate is the play-the-ball thing. Why is it that highly paid professionals can't put their boot on the ball?

I would never agree with anything Gould says on principle. I think the referring is as good/bad as it always has been. It's a tough and thankless job. I did it with under fourteens and it was awful. Abusive kids, parents and everything else on the sidelines, let alone all the rules etc in the game. Teams just have to adjust to the idiosyncracies of referrees. That's a coach's job to identify those things and mention them to the players. My pet hate is the play-the-ball thing. Why is it that highly paid professionals can't put their boot on the ball?

It's a tough job but certainly not thankless for an NRL ref. They are highly paid for the job they do and I know that if i made as many blues as some of these blokes I would not have job. I know everyone makes mistakes and sometimes they only have a split second to make a decision, but even with all the technology they have they still make some pretty ordinary decisions. If the fans and commentators can see it, why can't they.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4