Realistically nobody has a bloody clue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I just wish they'd try moving up in defence and hitting hard instead of standing back and sliding.

I think they might be surprised what a difference this makes.

We lack AGGRESSION. Pure and simple.
That's my point...

They are standing back and sliding (being passive) because pushing up and being aggressive requires a decision to be made. If you come up, you have to be sure who you're tackling, who you think will be getting the ball (decoy runner or out the back etc) and our players are afraid to make these decisions because of a lack of confidence.

Brian Kelly was ****ting bricks every time the play came near him because he didn't want to take the wrong man and let in a try, so he hung back to let the play unfold and got hung out to dry numerous times.

Sure there are other factors at play but...

If it was strictly a personnel problem, we wouldn't be losing to sides like the Dogs and Tigers because they have just as many if not more issues with their roster. OK, we are a couple of stars off being a premiership threat, but not a few stars off matching it with the also rans, so that excuse won't wash.

The other argument that @Technical Coach put forward about the opposition exposing our weaknesses can be combatted by the number of tries Canterbury scored where we had actually numbered up and had players there to make the tackle but the opposition still scored. That's not a defensive structure issue or losing the ruck problem, that's a decision making problem as a result of a lack of confidence. The defenders were on the scene but didn't wrap the ball up or make a definitive decision. The Dogs also got down our end through penalties in the first half, not from tearing the ruck to shreds up the middle.

Finally, the leadership issue that @Chip and Chase has bought up. I think there is some merit to it, in the sense that a strong leader can help combat the confidence crisis in some ways by staying strong through adversity...we might not have that type of leader at the club currently...it's hard to say....probably not. Chez has done a fair job at times but generally when things are going our way. We need a fighter...it'll be Jake T one day but he might need some help at this stage.

I just wish they'd try moving up in defence and hitting hard instead of standing back and sliding.

I think they might be surprised what a difference this makes.

We lack AGGRESSION. Pure and simple.
Yeah, the passivity in defence, even on our own try line, was really noticeable against the Dogs - everyone took a step or two forward then either stopped and waited or - worse still - started back-pedalling. It was awful, pure and simple.
Seems like teams have figured out the way to beat us is not to go through the middle but simply to fling the ball a couple of passes wide of the ruck. Unless we can come up with a way of combatting that (like, as simon64 says, moving up in defence and hitting hard instead of standing back and sliding) we are done.

B Kelly is only big enough to play half. He is nippy, but doesn't have the size or aggression to 'put the man away' in defense. M Wright is too slow for a winger. Our goal kicking sux. Parker injured. Sironen injured. Lussick very patchy. In fact probably half the team are carrying injuries. If it weren't for Tapau and Jake, we would be spooners.
So, you need an 'experienced' coach to steer you out of this dead end. We do not have the depth in the playing or coaching squads. Our D coach, is clearly watching some other team, or is incapable of getting his ideas across.
In short, it is not our time. Self belief that evaporates so quickly proves that it is not sufficiently strong to last a season.
Rebuilding continues. Let's look forward to next year. there's a lot of work to do in the off season.

Confidence and consistency seem to be very much related for Manly's performances this season.With the confidence level down in particular recently has also come the hesitation and ultra caution factor in both attack and defence to seemingly and consciously mainly trying to avoid making mistakes. But of course then, this just seems to result in less pressure on the opposition in general and to be then constantly on the back foot so to speak , and with also then limited attacking effectiveness.There have just been too many better efforts and performances for Manly however this season and regardless of injuries or whatever to indicate that with the right focus and game plan , that the side can still be very or quite competitive. Whether it is just more or better self belief , on field leadership or just better executing or adjusting to a suitable or appropriate game plan , this really should be still within the current available team"s ability and skill level

I warned fans right before the Dragons and Storm games what will happen if we continue to perform as we were and not one single "Like" or "Ironstine" was handed to me, so now I'm on antidepressants trying to find my mojo again.
Pretty sure I tried to give you an Ironstine, must have slipped and pushed the wrong button.

I find it odd how talk of Barrett's contract extension has gone all quiet. It should have been sorted out weeks ago. The club was quick to come out and deny rumours linking us to players on the market so the silence in respect of this issue is deafening. We know what the salary cap is going to be so that excuse doesn't work anymore. Looks like he's going and the players are playing like they know it. Gould anointing Barrett as the next Macquire /Robinson was the beginning of our downfall. Mid season TB was raving about how much he loved the joint and the playing group and now look at us. Someone must be throwing a lot of coin at him because the players are playing like they feel he doesn't give a **** about them. Too many shallow hals in our game and no real good guys left.

First up, the whole team needs to be more aggressive and disciplined in defence. However, the way Kelly defends will drain any confidence that's left in the team. It's hard for the team to maintain that energy in defence knowing there is a massive liability on the left edge. Players then need to overcompensate for this, exposing more weaknesses. All the opposition need to do is target Kelly, score a couple of tries and our heads will be down.
TB if you are reading this, the way to fix the problem is Easy. It is a tried and proven technique that the magpies utilised back in the days. Face slapping! Or better known these days as bitch slapping.. That will toughen them up... Not the team bonding hand holding kumbayas, playing UNO, twister or sipping turmeric lattes by the camp fire. I'm sick of talk! I get enough of that **** from the missus. At least bring back some biff or something better than the ****e we have seen...

I find it odd how talk of Barrett's contract extension has gone all quiet. It should have been sorted out weeks ago. The club was quick to come out and deny rumours linking us to players on the market so the silence in respect of this issue is deafening. We know what the salary cap is going to be so that excuse doesn't work anymore. Looks like he's going and the players are playing like they know it. Gould anointing Barrett as the next Macquire /Robinson was the beginning of our downfall. Mid season TB was raving about how much he loved the joint and the playing group and now look at us. Someone must be throwing a lot of coin at him because the players are playing like they feel he doesn't give a **** about them. Too many shallow hals in our game and no real good guys left.

@strone33 is beside himself, but I posted elsewhere that I wonder if in fact this is what's causing the current disruption?

I honestly don't think we can win but last week I didn't think we could lose.

We have to win this one vs warriors and hope Penrith win and take the pressure off both sides in round 26. Then we might have some shot at rolling them.

It's a pipe dream I know.

I honestly don't think we can win but last week I didn't think we could lose.

We have to win this one vs warriors and hope Penrith win and take the pressure off both sides in round 26. Then we might have some shot at rolling them.

It's a pipe dream I know.

In reality neither do I, but who knows, life is like a box of chocolates, full of surprises!

I have a clue.

We will win vs the warriors - well. Then smash the Panthers at home infront of Snake and Skivvy and a massive crowd.
Play the Panthers again the following week in the finals - smash them.
Play Roosters - smash them too.
Then pulverise the Storm.
Then annihilate the Broncos to cap off the biggest upset in recent NRL history.

Go you good thing.
seems like a good plan to me....

I said this on Sunday (and a couple of times since in FB), but there was one point during the second half that to me summed up just how bad our defence has been lately.

The Dogs were on our 20 and attacking but a bad pass from dummy half went astray and Hopoate was forced to go back 10 metres to get the ball. Not one Manly player came through to put any pressure on him whatsoever.

Not one.

The whole line stood there on the 20 waiting for Hopoate to come back to them. In fact, it actually looked (to me) like Winterstein wanted to move up because he actually took a step forward like he was about to run, but AFB looked like he yelled at him and gestured for him to stay put.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10