Ready to roll . Round 1 Probable team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ready to roll

* sport
          o Rugby League

08 Mar 10 @ 04:56pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...ready-to-roll/

MANLY’S summer search for Matt Orford’s successor is set to end at Kieran Foran’s feet on Tuesday with the young half expected to be named in the No. 7 jumper for the Sea Eagles’ NRL season opener.
Coach Des Hasler is tipped to name the 19-year-old ahead of Trent Hodkinson for Monday night’s round-one clash with the Wests Tigers at the Sydney Football Stadium.
The young halves have been jostling for the role, vacated by Orford at the end of last year.
Foran should get the nod, partnering co-captain Jamie Lyon in the halves.
“It’s a bit different to five-eighth, a lot more organising and a fair bit more directing,” Foran told The Manly Daily on Monday of the prospect of playing halfback compared to playing five-eighth for most of 2009.
“I have been enjoying it, getting used to it now, I’m getting more comfortable as each day goes by.”
Foran said he has been working on his kicking game in a bid to swiftly move into the chief playmaking role.
“It’s something I have been working on pretty hard over the pre-season,” the young New Zealand Test back said.
Giant utility Tony Willliams is the other interesting selection, likely to start in the centres alongside Steve Matai with Ben Farrar (pectoral) unavailable through injury.
The club’s tremendous depth in the pack will also see Test prop Brent Kite again start off the bench.
Kite finished last winter on the bench, with Belrose junior Jason King enjoying his finest year in the NRL.
Kite is tipped to sit alongside Shane Rodney, George Rose and new hooker Terence Seu Seu on a pretty solid four-man bench.
Recruits Joe Galuvao and Matt Cross will probably miss out this time, with the former still a little groggy from his sickening head clash in last month’s final trial against the Warriors.

so going on the above article

01.Brett stewart
02.Michael Robertson
03.Tony Williams
04.Steve Matai
05.David Williama
06.Jamie Lyon
07.Keiron Foran
08.Jason King
09.Matt Ballin
10.Josh Perry
11.Anthony Watmough
12.Chris Bailey
13.Glenn Stewart
Reserves
14.Terence Seu Seu
15.Brent Kite
16.Shane Rodney
17.George Rose

All good.  I'd have preferred to see Hodkinson at half, Foran 5/8th and Lyon outside him displacing Big Tony.  B T displacing Seu Seu on the bench.  Anyway I'm happy.  I'll be there, wish it was tonight. 

I feel Seu Seu could be our surprise packet this year, pretty predictable

Williams in the centre...I hope he has done a LOT of work on his defence in the off season.....I am worried (very).

Bailey being in the team makes me beyond sad. It seems like it's so long until we can unload this nuffie.

Fingers crossed that Gulavao recovers soon & we can send him to where he belongs in the SCSE!

Someone said in another thread that Hodkinson might play half with Foran in the centres.  If that was to happen it would not surprise me to see Des name Foran only to bring in Hodkinson last minute to reduce the pressure on him. 

If Foran does start and Williams is in the centres I am happy with that.  Want to see how he handles it.  He definately has the potential, hopefully we have him ready to fire, if not at least we know he cant handle it.  He will be hard to handle in attack as he can attract alot of defenders and cause some problems.  Defence worries me but have to give it a shot. 

Wolfpack link said:
Bailey being in the team makes me beyond sad. It seems like it's so long until we can unload this nuffie.

Fingers crossed that Gulavao recovers soon & we can send him to where he belongs in the SCSE!

There was worse players than Bailey going around for us last year.

To C&C

Rubbish - Bailey is up there with Jye Mullane for mine. He's a useless lump. Adds nothing in attack (goes into the fetal position when being tackled), plays the ball slower than Soloman Huamono used to for us, and has the defense of a turnstyle.

He should take his "Newcastle" quality football back with him to Newcastle.

That being said, he couldn't crack into the last placed Knights 17 those years ago.

I actually thought we were getting a player similar to Campese - but Campese has more talent in his left nut than Bailey does all over (and that is when Campese is out of form).

Worst player - on our team - by a mile. It was probably him rubbing off on other players that made the team look lazy. We all know what vibe Newcastle players have.

Everyone else though - brilliant players. Love every one.

The team imo SHOULD be:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Trent Hodkinson
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Terrence Seu Seu
15. Brent Kite
16. George Rose
17. Joe Galuvao (or Tony Williams in Galuvao's absence)

BUUUT Dessie is risk adverse.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Wolfpack link=topic=182566.msg253650#msg253650 date=1268040702]

There was worse players than Bailey going around for us last year.
[/quote]

No doubt but this year isn't last year. We're in a much better position now with regards to depth & I don't think that he has a spot in our starting line up.

Keep him there for now but as soon as Gulavao comes back he can take Bailey's spot as far as i'm concerned.

Haha, Bailey just got hammered. I don't rate him and he would not be in my 17 but that's harsh. I thought  you quit drinking Ryan    :D

I prefer your choice of team Ryan even if Lyon & Foran rotate between centre & 5/8th during the game like it has already been mentioned elsewhere in other threads here.  I think that Hodko deserves a shot after leading the SCSE to their first Grand Final win in their first year in the QLD Cup comp last year.  He was the leading point scorer last year for the SCSE with 144 points & was 4th in the overall try scoring with 11 tries.  From what I have seen of him via the ABC1 QLD coverage last year, he reads the game okay and directs the team around like a good halfback should and also has a pretty good kicking game and is a pretty good goal kicker as well.  With this being the final year of his current contract we should at least give him a go to see what he has got to offer in the top grade.  He just may be a handy keep.  If we don't give him a go in the NRL this year and he does go elsewhere because of that, I would hat to see him come back and bite us on the butt.

Granted Bailey will never play for Australia but on last years form Kite,  and the Wolfman will be lucky to pull on the green and gold again.
That's just my opinion but I hope I'm proven wrong.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
01.Brett stewart
02.Michael Robertson
03.Tony Williams
04.Steve Matai
05.David Williams
06.Jamie Lyon
07.Keiron Foran
08.Jason King
09.Matt Ballin
10.Josh Perry
11.Anthony Watmough
12.Chris Bailey
13.Glenn Stewart
Reserves
14.Terence Seu Seu
15.Brent Kite
16.Shane Rodney
17.George Rose

That is a KICKASS team right there.

It all hinges on how Foran, Lyon & Ballin go.
Especially Foran - if he can put in a good performance for most of the game with minimal errors, some good kicks, show some flair & variation and that he can be a threat in offense, it could really set the stage for Maroon & White success.
Ballin & Lyon also have to turn up, hopefully with at least a few moments of brilliance each.

The rest will fall into place if so.

My team

1. B.Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Matai
4. Foran
5. Williams
6. Lyon
7. Hodkinson
8. King
9. Ballin
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. Bailey
13. G.Stewart

14. Rodney
15. Rose
16. Perry
17. Cross

I actually think Bailey is in for a good year Rhino.

I might be proven wrong, but I just think this will be his year.

Uuurgh please dont put foran at half  :( i'm more than happy to be proved wrong but i reeeeeeeaaaaaally dont think he's suited to that..

I don't care about anyone else other than those centres.  Lyon or Foran for mine, replacing Big Sloooow Tony.  Ballin must target Farah and smash him whenever he has the ball.  That done, and the centres doing their job we'll win this one easily.   

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6