Ranking the worst buys in NRL history - FOZ ROBBED!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How about the big coup the slippery's made. Ian Gately from Manly to oblivion, never heard of again.

St. John Ellis (3 October 1964 – 31 December 2005), also known by the nickname of "Singe", was an English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1980, 1990s and 2000s, and coached in the 1990s and 2000s. He played at representative level for Great Britain, and at club level for York, the Castleford Tigers (Heritage №), the Bradford Bulls (Heritage №), the South Queensland Crushers (Heritage № 2), Halifax (Heritage № 1088), the Keighley Cougars, Hunslet and the Doncaster Dragons (Heritage № 797),[1][2][4] as a fullback, wing or centre, and coached at club level for Doncaster Dragons.

Yes, found an article saying he collapsed during a training session (he was coaching) & later died in hospital of a suspected heart attack.

Sad, 41 is no age to go.

If you mean Storm players who failed to prosper at other clubs, that's true.
The players we did sign from Storm have generally done at least as well when they came here, if not better. Ox won the Dally M as a Manly player, Steve Bell was excellent, Matt Cross was just as good as was Blake Green.
Nate Myles springs to mind as one of our worst signings. As a current Origin player we had expectations. Probably not his fault but he simply wasn't able to produce the goods.
Wasn't saying we hadn't made some mistakes but I was actually referring to the fact we didn't make the first 15 bad signings.

We lost that year because we ran out of props in the final quarter -- a few forwards injured that year really cost us - Joe Galuvao, Jason King and Richie Fasao. I still remember us being pinned in our own quarter and not able to get out. Des may have made a difference, but crucial injuries probably cost us more.
I disagree i believe if that game was reffed properly we would of smashed them.. they had a leg up all game it was ridiculous. Roosters only gave away 2 penalties in 80 minutes after being the most penalized side of the season. Aubuson should of been sent of that was a professional foul. That forward pass from maloney to minichello. Garbage reffing but it went to script. Robbed!

I disagree i believe if that game was reffed properly we would of smashed them.. they had a leg up all game it was ridiculous. Roosters only gave away 2 penalties in 80 minutes after being the most penalized side of the season. Aubuson should of been sent of that was a professional foul. That forward pass from maloney to minichello. Garbage reffing but it went to script. Robbed!

Garbage refereeing yes, but it still hurts that we let in 20 points in 20 minutes. We led 18-6 with 20 to go. Forward passes or not our defence died in the last quarter of the game.

For mine, 2013 is right up there with 1997. We should have won both but won neither.

1995-1997 was definitely sweet and sour. Three years of almost total domination, three Grand Final appearances, but only one premiership win.

If you mean Storm players who failed to prosper at other clubs, that's true.
The players we did sign from Storm have generally done at least as well when they came here, if not better. Ox won the Dally M as a Manly player, Steve Bell was excellent, Matt Cross was just as good as was Blake Green.
Nate Myles springs to mind as one of our worst signings. As a current Origin player we had expectations. Probably not his fault but he simply wasn't able to produce the goods.

There’s a few though ( he is probably tops) another that instantly springs to mind is Craig Field , came across as one of the best in the game at the time and absolutely tanked immediately!!

Manfred Moore the nfl player who played a couple of games for Newtown? Then disappeared into the never.

5th worst ever - King Wally to Gold Coast;
4th worst ever - Watmough to Slime;
3rd Worst ever - Nate Myles to Manly;
2nd worst ever - Nate Myles to Storm;
Worst ever - Foz to Slime

Did Mat Orford sign with Canberra for his last contract, only to be way too broken to play, i seem to remember it being a good laugh over on the raiders forum.

5th worst ever - King Wally to Gold Coast;
4th worst ever - Watmough to Slime;
3rd Worst ever - Nate Myles to Manly;
2nd worst ever - Nate Myles to Storm;
Worst ever - Foz to Slime

Despite all the media circus that surrounded it at the time, Wayne Bennett probably did the right thing getting rid of Lewis from the Drongos. As a player his best days were clearly behind him and he struggled half the time to even get on the field with the Seagulls. And within 3 years of dumping Lewis, Brisbane had won back to back premierships.

Lewis liked to kick up a stink when things didn't go his way didn't he. Lost the Brisbane captaincy, he complained. Missed the 1990 Kangaroo Tour, he complained. Got dumped by Brisbane, shock horror he complained. And each time instead of taking it on the chin and moving on, he complained long and loud to the media.

Edit: Unfortunately by 1989-90, Lewis pretty much thought that he was bigger than the game. His ego had gotten to the point where he literally seemed to believe he really was "King Wally". Of course, that was also fueled by the Brisbane media and Qld fans who had long thought the sun shined out of his arse.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4