Question RE. Burns.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pepi

Bencher
Now guys i don't want to start a **** fight but here is a question i think you should all consider before killing yourselves over losing Burns.

Before we get started i just want to say Burns is a very good defender and i love his tenacity - he would make a solid impact Hooker.

Can anyone in here name at least 5 tries (FIVE) that you can remember Travis Burns setting up with either skillful, select passing or pinpoint kicking?

Unless i have a very poor memory i cannot remember even ONE try that he has set up. I know that sounds ridiculous but most of the tries that he has been involved in has usually occurred from some individual brilliance from players like Bell, Menzies, Watmough, Stewart or Matai.

I am not sure if Lyon is the answer at 5/8th, but i am positive we wont win a comp with an Orford/Burns combo. Look at the Dragons semi last year - Orford copped all the flack but Burns was no where to be seen.

So what your saying is we should have gone from 'not the answer' to... 'not the answer'?

The fact is our side is much better with both players in it.

I agree with you Pepi- while it's not good to have lost Burns I can think of plenty of worse case senarios

Before we get started i just want to say Burns is a very good defender and i love his tenacity - he would make a solid impact Hooker.

And considering our fortunes have risen on the back of exceptional defence around the ruck no wonder supporters emotional (MSE) oaboutTravis leaving.

Im clearly understand the reasoning behind this and im pragmatic about it.

assuming lyon and orford havnt priced us out of the market we should be able to pick up a utility easy enough shoud we want one.

Just off the top of my head.

1. Kick for Robbo's try against Saints (??) last year. It was a nice cross-field kick for Robbo's first try for Manly as far as I remember.

2. Round 24 last year. Awesome try for Hicks. Burns took on the line and some lazy defence, and split them adequately enough to get an offload to Stewart who then passed it on to Hicks which secured the win. That was the best bit of attack I've seen from Burns in Manly colours. It was awesome. Brett Stewart actually would've been awarded the try assist, but I credit Travis with it completely.

I guess a fair point is that in his entire first grade career he has only been credited with 4 try assists.

If we were going to be forced to pay top dollar for him I don't see it as a huge loss. He is not the most skillfull of playmakers and should be relatively easily replaced.

Get rid of him, and get someone who wants to be at the club at all costs. Hicks has stated he wouldn't play for another NRL club now. We need players like that.

Time to move on....Travis who?

We should have seen it coming with Jason Smith announcing his retirment yesterday.

Get rid of him, and get someone who wants to be at the club at all costs. Hicks has stated he wouldn't play for another NRL club now. We need players like that.

Exactly give Ballin the number 9 jersey, Monas at 14. and Burns can play PL for the rest of the year. No point in holding Ballin back any longer.

[quote author=Ryan]

Exactly give Ballin the number 9 jersey, Monas at 14. and Burns can play PL for the rest of the year. No point in holding Ballin back any longer.

[/quote]

Agreed. Sends a strong message to other players that if they don't show loyalty then we will show them none.

yeah I saw that about Hicks- it was good to hear- doesn't say much for his previous club the Panthers

How many penalties does Burns give away to compared to Ballin? 5X? 10X?
Does Burns spark our attack like Ballin?

the reasons for doing this are unlimited.

The Sunday footy show said 3-4 weeks (last week).
On the radio i heard Matai, Burns and Ballin will be fine to play the Bunnies.

Good point Pepi and I agree and have in fact bought this up recently.

Burns = Top little defender, good aggression and a solid player... he adds very little in attack apart from a step into the line.

Lyon is a better ball player.. he just needs time to develop combo's and Lyon is ten fold the better ball runner.

No drama's with Travis leaving.. he's easily replaced. I am concerned that with Burns and Monaghan gone we have lost two of our best defenders.... but I think the team has alot more points in it with Lyon at 6 and with Dessie's defensive intensity we shouldn't lose too much in D.

Burnsy is a good defended, actually a great defender, and a handy Utility player. And Utilty money is what he deserves. If he can get starting money elsewhere , seeya later. sad but no big deal.

Geez some of you guys are harsh. He wants to play 5/8 and we couldn't guarantee it, so he signs with another club who will give him the opportunity. He mentions in the media he is looking forward to the challenge, as would anyone, he is hardly likely to say he's disappointed that he'll have to play for the Cowboys next season now is he. Now he is been hauled over the coals for being disloyal. I'm not stressed that he's leaving, good luck to him, but it's a bit rich to drive the knives into him.

I'll be happy if he retains his spot for the remainder of the year, he has earnt it IMO. To be brutally honest if we are going to drop someone to make way for Ballin I think we'd be better off from a team balance point of view if it was Monas.

Geez some of you guys are harsh. He wants to play 5/8 and we couldn't guarantee it, so he signs with another club who will give him the opportunity.

You could probably put that down to the blokes here supporting the club and not 1 particular player. The same reason we don't all still wet ourselves over Kimorley.

If its not good for manly, its not good for me.

The thing is it IS good for Manly. He wasn't going to be our starting 5/8, so why pay overs for a bench player who really doesn't have that much utility value just for the sake of hanging onto him for depth. He hasn't played hooker or backrow before so what utility value does he have ? Why pay $200K + for him. Money better spent elsewhere

Kimmorely is a grub, I don't think Burns is anywhere near that sort of comparison. He always gives a 100% when he runs out and he didn't do anything wrong by the club with his current actions IMO. I'm just a little surprised by a couple of the reactions voiced here, a little OTT in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4