Queensland floods

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I just got back from helping to clean up

Have to say driving around the places that were impacted...well not sure how to put it into words

For the Central Coast (NSW) residents my family and I were discussing this when was the last time the Coast was flooded?

My old man thinks around 1980 was the last time Gosford was

Nthn NSW link said:
Was great to read a letter to the editor in the local paper up here from an elderly couple who needed help to move possessions.They went to the Ulmarra Pub and asked for 2 young stong fellas and they were overwhelmed when 7 young blokes turned up,most of them Manly Sea Eagles U'20 players(don't ask me what they were doing up here).These young blokes refused payment.

Funny how the mainstream media generally paint blokes as dumb thugs who drink beer and cause most of the problems in the community, but so little is mentioned of good men who go out of their way to assist, and would be embarrassed at any thankful attention in return.

Good to hear about this article.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1295696755[/time]

Ant80 link said:
For the Central Coast (NSW) residents my family and I were discussing this when was the last time the Coast was flooded?

My old man thinks around 1980 was the last time Gosford was

The next flood is due at exactly the same time as the CC bears hold their wake after being rejected for the next NRL licence.

Isz....I did this for two days last weekend (couldn't this weekend as we were down visiting family in the country_..BUT can I say it's a humblng experience to say the least.

Mark it really makes you think about what is important in life

For me i work to make some guy (who i passionately dislike) more money - all I know is that the next job move will be different

Luckily I work to make me a bit of money and to enjoy time with my grand kids and  enjoy the things I like doing most.

Doing my 4WD trips

Riding my motorbike

Collecting Red Wine

Oh and going to Manly games as well

But you are 110% right, it does make you think abotu what is important....and there's nothing more important than family / friends and their safety in times like this.

I am so pleased I made the time to help, it has really given me a new perspective on life.

Great work Isz,Mark and anyone else that has helped out in floods.

For those that missed it,there is a great story as told by Michael Ennis in yesterdays Tele from his time helping in Grantham.Alot has been said about Ennis and most of it bad.But he showed that he's a top bloke off the field.Ennis donated his writers check from the Tele to flood relief also.

Was in NSW at the weekend and bought the Tele so saw that story.

I travelled out west up through Toowoomba (and back) at the weekend...when you get to to the Lockyer Valley it's more like a War Zone than the beating heart of Queenslands vegetable industry.

Roads / Bridges (as well as houses and families) have been washed away and it's a miracle the road from Brisbane to Toowoomba is operational at all. It's a slow trip with speed limits at 80K's for much of the way but with a lot at 60 and 40.

There's a major bridge on the highway just before Withcott and not far from Murphy's Creek, how this bridge managed to survive is testament to the bridge builders ability because a gum tree sitting on the high side of what's left of the riverbank (to each side of the bridge) would have had water half way up it.

That would mean a wall of water hit that bridge (and the road) that was probably 4 or 5 metres high (above level ground).

The trees either side have just been ripped out, and strewn everywhere are cars, tanks, bits of houses and an array of household items like fridges / washing machines.

It's no wonder so many died there, the poor bastards had no chance.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I can tell you there would be a LOT worse places to live than there....
  Wilcannia, Dubbo, Bathurst and Brewarrina come to mind.  Anywhere else?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=186236.msg312671#msg312671 date=1295566723]
I can tell you there would be a LOT worse places to live than there....
  Wilcannia, Dubbo, Bathurst and Brewarrina come to mind.  Anywhere else?
[/quote]

Kempsey, Walgett....all far worse than Moree.

Moree has in fact come a very long way in recent years with their 20% Aboriginal population...there's been a big push to employ as many of them as possible and that has significantly changed the landscape there.

Nothing is perfect (is anywhere) but of all places it really has moved ahead in leaps and bounds.

But the original part of this discussion related to Wine, and yes as is the case with most country towns quality wine has to be delivered in case by case.

Ha fro...yes you could have a week ago

Mount Mee
Fraser Island
Stradbroke Island
Landcruiser Park
Canungra (up behind the Goldie)

AND

An doing the Flinders Ranges and a Simpson Desret crossing on July-August this year.

Will be doing Cape York in 2012 (will need to wait until the football dates are released before choosing a time)

I am pretty serious about it all!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8