Proud Eagle Joel Thompson wants pay cut to remain in Manly nest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Funny how things turn around, most of the senior players at Manly during Haslers first coaching stint played for unders to win a premiership and keep the team together now the player who benefited most during this period to establish himself for a top end contract is leading a team that needs to do the same thing for prolonged success.

Mate
I do not think it was as black & white as you describe but I do get your drift

There was much more than just one player taking the spoils while others may have not given up as much as made out in the media

But this is way too good of a thread on Joel and his value to our team than to debate here

So I will end it on the right spirit by saying that attitude and desire from Joel to give back is what makes him an inspiration to our team and could help us for longer than this year only

Always good to have older guys around the team who know that money isn't everything. And aside from his impressive achievements off the field, Joel's had a bloody good year as a player. Really, he and Siroju are probably the form second row pairing of the competition. Makes no sense not to try to keep him. As Cherry said when he was asked about Tommy and Jake, everything is easy if the player wants to stay and the club wants to keep them. Surely we can work this out.

In today's press release he reflected on his career and regrets not training as hard as he has been this year. He's never been happier. Just shows the effect of Team Des really that someone has gone on record that he will sacrifice money to stay at a club. Wrap him up! We need him long term at our club to keep our culture strong.

What we need to is a rich sponsor to come forward and give Joel a nice TP agreement so Manly can pay him unders.

0A4EBB45-0EAA-483A-8D17-E6D158A26D96.png
Tried to vote for Joel and all I got was this message that could apply to the NRL in so many ways

Mate
I do not think it was as black & white as you describe but I do get your drift

There was much more than just one player taking the spoils while others may have not given up as much as made out in the media

But this is way too good of a thread on Joel and his value to our team than to debate here

So I will end it on the right spirit by saying that attitude and desire from Joel to give back is what makes him an inspiration to our team and could help us for longer than this year only
I don't think other players gave up money in their signed contracts with Manly, but most certainly they knocked back higher offers at other clubs to sign for unders with Manly to keep the team together.

Yes i know that is their choice and DCE made his own choices but it did come across as lacking respect and patience. (i do get it that a young player wishes to earn a comfortable living as quick as possible as you never know how long you have in the game)

I don't think he "wants" a paycut... he "would" take one. Its a good sign with Thommo and Taufua willing to stay for unders. The T bros will too, hopefully walker. Des has built a squad that wants to be here, not only will we keep more players for less money but Manly is now an attractive option for players from other clubs too. Des has the ability to find guys like Gulavao, Hall etc and also developing the ones we already have. Good signs ahead for another decade of dominance

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7