Professionalism (not)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Pepsi, does anybody know if Mona's was quoted in any of the article's yesterday before the official media release? I'm not upto scratch with this one as i currently reside in QLD.

Yes, he was Maddog.

You can see it on our news page as it unfolded.

Interestingly the Sydney papers have not picked up on the Monaghan statement posted last night (the so-called mea culpa). I wonder why?

We all know where we can get quotes from though :)

I meant did anybody see it, was it on the news. Did he really do a backflip or is it just a media beat up written by sherlock and associates?

apparantly he spoke with AAP, re wanting to stay at half v leaving release etc, and that was picked up by about 4 different news aganecies, Fox/2SM etc, not forgetting it was on the back of the daily a week ago. " as he didnt know we where considering Orford! " not sure what rock he has been living under!

No not at all, i just know how things can get reported that don't really happen.

Any need for the Thomas?

I don't know about Mata's wider conclusions, and think perhaps the post could have been a tad less emotive, but Mata makes a very valid point. Media needs to lift its game.

If Manly media had taken the trouble to simply copy and paste what's on its website into Word, they would have found the following errors automatically highlighted for them:
1. the word "elsewhere" was misspelt
2. On two occasions there was no space left between an end of quote and the next word
3. On two occasions there was no space left between an end of sentence and the next sentence
4. On 4 occasions the capital "I" is a character which has two dots above it. (Curiously, on other occasions the capital "I" does not have these dots).

That's a minimum of 11 errors that a professional journalist/editor would need to manually correct if they wanted to publish the contents of the article from our website. Why make it difficult for journalists to use our media releases? Especially when it is SO EASY to prevent these errors by copying the article to/from Word. I agree with Mata that the presentation is sloppy and doesn't project a good impression of the professionalism of the club to the media.

The 2nd point Mata makes about the blind acceptance of the media release by a group of supporters on the MSE website is also valid. Anyone who has worked for a bureaucracy will have seen how media releases must be treated with appropriate scepticism if you are seeking the truth.

It's also not a one-off problem. If you take the next article on the web-site on Travis Burns, the spell-check automatically identifies the words "ommited" and "St. Marys" as misspelt. The first is incorrectly spelt and (without looking it up) I'm not sure whether the second needs an apostrophe. This is systematic sloppiness, which is simply unacceptable.

The 2nd point Mata makes about the blind acceptance of the media release by a group of supporters on the MSE website is also valid. Anyone who has worked for a bureaucracy will have seen how media releases must be treated with appropriate scepticism if you are seeking the truth.

Agreed, but you are both so willing to accept that Monahan had said it all in the first place.

Again, i wasn't there when he was talking so it may or may not be true. A beat up i say, a beat up.

[quote author=Candy]

Agreed, but you are both so willing to accept that Monahan had said it all in the first place.

Again, i wasn't there when he was talking so it may or may not be true. A beat up i say, a beat up.
[/quote]

What evidence for any claim of a beat up? Lift the veil, Maddog, lift the veil.

Monaghan has not actually denied it. Look carefully at the wording of the original quotes in question and the wording of Mona's response on the Manly web-site. Bureaucracies and politicians (and presumably player managers) LOVE these word games. There is NOTHING to say the original quotes in question were incorrect - not even on the Manly web site.

Look at the wording carefully

1. Original article
foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15833297-23214,00.html

MICHAEL Monaghan may seek an early release from Manly if the NRL club signs Melbourne halfback Matt Orford.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummings said he had made a formal offer to Orford's manager George Mimis today as the club hopes to sign the pint-sized No.7 and his Storm teammate Steve Bell in a package deal.

The recruitment of Orford would mean Monaghan would be shunted to hooker, a role he said he wasn't ready to take on.

"I do enjoy playing hooker but to be totally honest I don't think I want to move there yet," Monaghan said today.

L "I consider myself a halfback and I was told they wanted me to sign as halfback.

"I'll have to weigh up what type of options I've got if they sign him (Orford)."

With Monaghan re-signing with the Sea Eagles last month for an additional three years, his only option appears to be asking for an early release from his contract nutted out just two days after he was told he had no future at Brookvale.

Cummings stressed at no stage during contracted negotiations with Monaghan was the 25-year-old guaranteed the halfback spot for Manly.

"When Michael was signed he was considered for various positions," Cummings said.

"I can guarantee you there was no commitment to Michael and his manager (Jim Banaghan about the halfback position) and incidentally Michael didn't ask for any commitments at all.

"Michael was just happy to sign with the club."

Banaghan confirmed today that Manly officials never promised Monaghan a mortgage on the No.7 jersey.

"It's never been our intention to predict people's position but the club did say at the time they had no intention of signing Matt Orford," Banaghan said.

2. Response
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/Default.asp
Manly captain Michael Monaghan says media speculation that he would seek a release from the club if the Sea Eagles signed Melbourne Storm halfback Matt Orford were unfounded.

"I have just signed a new contract with Manly and I don't want to go anywhere - I am a player and it is up to the club to sign who they like.

I have no problems with Matt Orford coming to the club or any player that management thinks can help us win a premiership.

"I'm amazed that someone has written that I will seek a release when I have never said such a statement" Monaghan said. Note the original article didn't say he said this

Monaghan told coach Des Hasler and executive chairman Paul Cummings late today that he was totally committed to the Manly club.

"I have a new contract with Manly and intend to fulfil it to the best of my ability.

It's not my position as a player to tell my employer who they can and can't buy and I would never do that. I'm happy at Manly and if Matt Orford comes to the club it is obvious only one of us could play in the number seven.

"Where I play is up to the coach as it is every week. Sure I prefer halfback but I have played elsewhere.

I want the Manly fans to know that I have never threatened to seek a release and won't be.

I love it at Manly and right now am excited at the remainder of the 2005 season with the club. We have a lot more of a noise to make yet and are seeking a couple of wins to ensure a finals position before resetting our goals," Monaghan said.

If you read carefully, Monas hasn't denied the actual quote attributed to him that he would need to weigh up his options (apparently a thinly veiled code for seeking a release). Nor has he unequivocally said he wouldn't seek a release (only that he wouldn't threaten to do so). Word games.

Weighing up his options could and quite possibly does mean that he is talking about his options position wise - ie hooker or 5/8. He is allowed to have a preference.

All this crap about seeking a release is just speculation

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7