Problem positions, and decisions Des must face

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Move DCE, buy Burton, Naden and Staines. Pay Hoppa and Schuster with Thommo and Elliot's money, fix Tom's hammy's and get Fainu back.
Problems solved...a salary cap compliant premiership team.

Tom
Staines
Hoppa
Walker
Naden
DCE
Burton
Schuster
Guacamole
Sirro
AfB
Fainu
Kapow

Metcalfe
Jake
Tent
Keppie
Waddle
Sipley
Suli
Cust
Funa
etc

Offload another 5 or 6 and we have money to spare.

See what our $1.3M man costs us.

Last edited:
Just considering those we currently have, who we might lose etc, right now this is who I think our best 17 would be in 2021

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Tevita Funa / Albert Hopoate
CE - Dylan Walker / Brad Parker
CE - Moses Suli
WG - Reuben Garrick
FE - Cade Cust
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans
PR - Addin Fonua-Blake
HK - Manase Fainu / Danny Levi
PR - Martin Taupau
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Curtis Sironen
LK - Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Sean Keppie, Taniela Paseka (and from) Danny Levi / Josh Schuster / Lachlan Croker / Corey Waddell / Toafofoa Sipley / Jack Gosiewski

Depending on if Hopoate remains a Sea Eagle, either he or Funa should be on the wing in place of Jorge. Though if there was one backline player I would be targeting to join Manly for 2021 it would be Alex Johnston. Not only is he a very good winger with a tonne of pace (and I would have him above Funa or Hopoate any day), he's also a much better fullback cover than we already have.

Walker should be back in the centres, no if's and no but's, which I'm afraid would be at the expense of Parker. Though if the rumours are anywhere near true ... that all depends if Walks stays at Manly next year.

With Walks at centre (maybe) then Cust should be the first and best choice for 5/8.

If Fainu is available to play, then Levi to the bench (or Schuster or Croker).

Olakau'atu should be considered right now the runaway #1 contender to take Thommo's spot in the back row.

Paseka and Keppie are musts for the 17, either from the bench or starting.

The last bench spot should be either Waddell or Sipley. Though I have a strange feeling that Toafofoa won't be here next year (which might actually give Jetski a reprieve.....).

Either way, I just hope we can actually settle on a team for once and not have to constantly chop and change because of injury.

Regarding penrith there will be an odd winger out.. staines, naden or to'o. I definitely think we should make a play for one of them. And I dunno know what it is but I have a feeling saab will be at manly next year. The whole situation has gone quiet and smells of manly... we always keep our signings under the rug til the hierarchy see fit to release the news. I would release taufua, waddell, gosiewski, croker for starters.. Thommo and elliot obviously. Haumole into the starting backrow vacancy see how he goes with the jumper for a full year before thinking about a quality backrow signing, siro will also be off contract end of that year. I would let parker and maybe just maybe let walker, taupau and garrick go the following year as well whilst holding on to hoppa, funa, schuster with 2 quality signings. For eg 2022 could look like this and still have money left over. I can't see schuster as our 6 moving forward.. DCE needs a controlling partner.

Trbojevic
Hopoate
Funa
Suli
Saab
Townsend
Cherry Evans
Fonua Blake
Fainu
Trbojevic
C Sironen
Olakauatu
Schuster

Cust
Paseka
Saddler
B Sironen

Good selection there Sean though I'm surprised regarding your assessment of Schuster. From what I've seen of him he looks the ONLY controlling player in the club, someone who dominates and controls the play, servicing the backs (who can forget his plays with centre Burbo) and has all the skills, good defence, top short kicking game, excellent ball playing, swerving, feinting, able to break the line, dummying, timing etc. Its why he was moved from the forwards to 5/8 and became captain in the juniors, and was player of the year in his competition a few years in a row. I would have thought he is exactly what DCE needs outside him.

Some great points. But you are dreaming with star buys. Who is the last superstar Manly poached from another club or Super League?

Seriously, how many test or origin stars have willingly come to Manly since our last GF win?

Taupau?

How many Australian test players?
Don't forget the "GREAT" Nate Myles!!!!

Regarding penrith there will be an odd winger out.. staines, naden or to'o. I definitely think we should make a play for one of them. And I dunno know what it is but I have a feeling saab will be at manly next year. The whole situation has gone quiet and smells of manly... we always keep our signings under the rug til the hierarchy see fit to release the news. I would release taufua, waddell, gosiewski, croker for starters.. Thommo and elliot obviously. Haumole into the starting backrow vacancy see how he goes with the jumper for a full year before thinking about a quality backrow signing, siro will also be off contract end of that year. I would let parker and maybe just maybe let walker, taupau and garrick go the following year as well whilst holding on to hoppa, funa, schuster with 2 quality signings. For eg 2022 could look like this and still have money left over. I can't see schuster as our 6 moving forward.. DCE needs a controlling partner.

Trbojevic
Hopoate
Funa
Suli
Saab
Townsend
Cherry Evans
Fonua Blake
Fainu
Trbojevic
C Sironen
Olakauatu
Schuster

Cust
Paseka
Saddler
B Sironen
If you mean Sean Townsend then surely you’re taking the piss! I’d rather Kane Elgey back! I nearly fell over when I saw his name next to DCE.....Cust is 20 times the better player! Then to get rid of Marty & leave the young forwards without an experienced mentor is crazy. Sounds like you wanna go the Broncos route & have a team without leadership!

This gives an interesting breakdown of team injuries V players used & debutantes.
Manly have used 23 players & only 1 deb.

Says it all doesnt it. And given we are sitting in 10th and possibly going down in the next 2 games, it makes the decisions not to use young players even more confusing.

Good selection there Sean though I'm surprised regarding your assessment of Schuster. From what I've seen of him he looks the ONLY controlling player in the club, someone who dominates and controls the play, servicing the backs (who can forget his plays with centre Burbo) and has all the skills, good defence, top short kicking game, excellent ball playing, swerving, feinting, able to break the line, dummying, timing etc. Its why he was moved from the forwards to 5/8 and became captain in the juniors, and was player of the year in his competition a few years in a row. I would have thought he is exactly what DCE needs outside him.
There's alot more space and time in junior football. Defence isn't crash hot either. No doubt he has skills but he is a very flashy type player and haven't myself seen any game management side of things from him. That and he hasn't played any nrl just yet, could well take him a while to settle in at NRL level. That and if we have him as a 6 there is no way we will be able to keep him in the future because of our cap position and balance of the team. The way I see it is he could be a second five eight at lock whilst potentially keeping him for less as well. If we were able to bring someone like a townsend we will be more likely to win a comp as now is our premiership window.. can we wait a few more years while schuster matures as an NRL half? And possibly miss our window? Just some thought, as our problem has been now for years as to our halves and what dce needs lol.. go with a one that has a track record, after all schuster in the beginning is still an experiment at half and there's no guarantee it will pay off. Not in the beggining anyway. Took moses 3-4 years... Brooks was the next big thing and still nothing..

If you mean Sean Townsend then surely you’re taking the piss! I’d rather Kane Elgey back! I nearly fell over when I saw his name next to DCE.....Cust is 20 times the better player! Then to get rid of Marty & leave the young forwards without an experienced mentor is crazy. Sounds like you wanna go the Broncos route & have a team without leadership!
Chad townsend actually.. don't know who sean townsend is.. no but seriously, I love cust dont get me wrong but townsend has the runs on the board, is a premiership winning half and can run a team. Cust isn't on his level just yet.. cust hasn't even played finals football. Its a different ball game

In 2 years time Sironen, AFB, jake wont be short of experience, the other players like paseka would be playing his 4th year of NRL, bayley and haumole his third, only inexperienced player in the forwards would be saddler and he has already played a rep game before an NRL game. And getting rid of taupau is strictly conjecture as it would depend on how a young guns go and what upgrades would be necessary. Taupau is on big money. Also the broncos don't have halves, no experienced halves.. there is two premiership winning halves on this list.. so pretty bad comparison given all above

@ 40 Years Eagle

Loved the side, just a slight tweak and close to an affordable possibilty...

Tom
Staines - Penrith
Suli
Walker
Hoppa - Manly
Burton - Penrith
DCE
Jake
Guacamole
Sirro
AfB
Fainu
Paseka

Kapow
Brendon Smith - Storm
Schuster - Manly
Keppie

@ 40 Years Eagle

Loved the side, just a slight tweak and close to an affordable possibilty...

Tom
Staines - Penrith
Suli
Walker
Hoppa - Manly
Burton - Penrith
DCE
Jake
Guacamole
Sirro
AfB
Fainu
Paseka

Kapow
Brendon Smith - Storm
Schuster - Manly
Keppie
Who is your goal kicker? DCE presumably.

Good points but I feel an essential to get into the equation is Schuster. We must see if this kid is the super star he seems to have promised in the juniors. If he is, I'd have him at 5/8 and use Cust as the bench backup for Fainu. Maybe give Schuster a bench spot at first to see how he fares. But like with young Hopa, he could be one of Manly's key figures in years to come and we must see how he goes in the top grade. For me, forget the finals. Let Turbo and Walker heal over the off season. With a lot of luck and top class play we might just squeeze in, but I cant see it. Too many injuries, too few game breakers, a bridge too far. Time to experiment. Give the young players a bit of experience for the 2021 season. Manly needs to be preparing now for next season...and the seasons to follow.
I agree on tom , leave him out this year , we cant win the comp even if we made the finals , rest him until next year.
And walker too , but he should go back to center with Cust in his place.

There's alot more space and time in junior football. Defence isn't crash hot either. No doubt he has skills but he is a very flashy type player and haven't myself seen any game management side of things from him. That and he hasn't played any nrl just yet, could well take him a while to settle in at NRL level. That and if we have him as a 6 there is no way we will be able to keep him in the future because of our cap position and balance of the team. The way I see it is he could be a second five eight at lock whilst potentially keeping him for less as well. If we were able to bring someone like a townsend we will be more likely to win a comp as now is our premiership window.. can we wait a few more years while schuster matures as an NRL half? And possibly miss our window? Just some thought, as our problem has been now for years as to our halves and what dce needs lol.. go with a one that has a track record, after all schuster in the beginning is still an experiment at half and there's no guarantee it will pay off. Not in the beggining anyway. Took moses 3-4 years... Brooks was the next big thing and still nothing..

Sean I accept what you are saying and that junior football has more space, but all players come through that system, and more often than not the outstanding ones at that level become the outstanding ones in the top level. Not saying Schuster will be a world beater, but he has the credentials. As for his defence, I cant see how his defence was considered questionable. He was a forward at first and had to do the usual defensive work of forwards. They are almost always better defenders than backs. If we didnt take risks we wouldn't have some of the stars we had, that were stars as juniors,. Just a few Toovey, Menzies, Foran, DCE, Cust, Fainu...the list goes on and on. Top juniors usually convert to top players. Not always but most of the time. And given Schuster's size and skill base, he looks a natural. You cant knock him back purely on the conjecture he may fail.

Sean I accept what you are saying and that junior football has more space, but all players come through that system, and more often than not the outstanding ones at that level become the outstanding ones in the top level. Not saying Schuster will be a world beater, but he has the credentials. As for his defence, I cant see how his defence was considered questionable. He was a forward at first and had to do the usual defensive work of forwards. They are almost always better defenders than backs. If we didnt take risks we wouldn't have some of the stars we had, that were stars as juniors,. Just a few Toovey, Menzies, Foran, DCE, Cust, Fainu...the list goes on and on. Top juniors usually convert to top players. Not always but most of the time. And given Schuster's size and skill base, he looks a natural. You cant knock him back purely on the conjecture he may fail.
Im not saying he will fail and I never questioned his ability or defense. Yes all players come through these systems but takes time for them to adapt at NRL level most of the time. Especially halves. I'm thinking along the lines of a premiership sooner than later.. im not knocking him back at all as to why I still have him the starting team at lock as I think he can handle the defensive side also.. im also thinking along the lines of cap.. id rather have him with us than elsewhere and as a half theres a good chance he will end up somewhere else as we don't have the cap space to match offers he may get elsewhere up to and the near the mil mark if he turns out elite. As a forward keeping him may be more manageable. This is the logic behind my thinking at this point of time.. there is no thought in my mind that he isn't able

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6