Prime Minister Abbott's new role as Manly #1 ticketholder

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lol, first time it's ever been insinuated that I'm a lefty.

Friends galore at laughing in the isles.

Man of honour, on the other hand......

edit: Maybe I'm just a Manly fan tired of the empty promises from election year after election year whilst still seeing brookie decay. Why does one comment make me left or right? Maybe I'm liberal voter waiting for promised funds, or a labor voter expectant of funds due to the change on govt, or a greens supporter wanting a better stadium to take my mind off the atrocities of manus island?

Maybe a clive palmer supporter wanting to mine the ground under brookie?

Regardless, I am a Manly fan and whilst anonymous champs can try to label away to suit their own narrow views...they can all feel free to label me....A Manly fan!

An outstanding individual and a fine Tory, we should be proud to have him as our number one ticket holder.

Here Here!

Plus, it's Hear, hear.

edit: :p <- I better put that to keep the lightness going.

Dont wanna say anything....*channels gomer pyle* con-tro-ver-sial!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I never saw Abbott quoted saying he'd deliver an extra $10m. If there's a link feel free to prove me wrong.

Here are the Labor and Coalition promises in writing.

6/8/2013: http://anthonyalbanese.com.au/brookvale-oval-scores-an-upgrade

"Brookvale oval scores an upgrade

Sports fans and local sporting teams will benefit from a major upgrade of Brookvale Oval, which will ensure more people can watch and play their favourite sport closer to home and secure the Oval’s future as a major sporting facility for the whole of the North Shore and the Northern Beaches.
The Rudd Labor Government will contribute funding of $10 million towards the construction of a new purpose-built grandstand at Brookvale that will provide covered tiered seating for 4,350 spectators as well as corporate hospitality, meeting and community spaces.
The new grandstand is a key feature of the stage one redevelopment and will be constructed on the eastern side of Brookvale Oval.  The construction phase of the grandstand will create around 150 new jobs.
Brookvale has been the home of rugby league on the northern beaches right from the start and Manly have played home games here since entering the top flight of the NSW Rugby League competition in 1947.
There is strong local support to upgrade the Oval, partly because existing facilities are ageing and not meeting the needs of the community.
Federal Labor’s funding provides the catalyst for a long overdue rejuvenation of Brookvale Oval that will transform it into a great sporting facility and community asset for Sydney’s north.
With the increased undercover seating, crowd attendances and membership will grow, attracting more fans and families.
Importantly, the new stand will assist in hosting other major events and sporting teams, cementing Brookvale Oval as a major regional sporting facility for the North Shore and Northern Beaches communities.
Funding for this project is already included in the budget".

18/8/2013: https://www.nsw.liberal.org.au/tony-abbott-coalitions-commitment-upgrade-brookvale-oval

"TONY ABBOTT - THE COALITION'S COMMITMENT TO UPGRADE BROOKVALE OVAL

If elected, a Coalition government will provide $10 million to support an upgrade of Brookvale Oval.
Brookvale Oval is the only ground between Sydney Harbour and Gosford that meets NRL standards.
The upgrade will allow for the construction of covered seating for over 4,000 fans as well as provide much-needed community facilities.
The Manly Sea Eagles have played at Brookvale Oval since 1947 and the facilities have not kept pace with the modern expectations of an NRL venue."

Albanese's statement, above, confirms "Funding for this project is already included in the budget."

The fact that Abbott's press release from his own website begins with "If elected" indicates it hangs on the coalition winning the election and is not the same as Labor's already budgeted $10M.

I note both imply that the money they have pledged will result in thousands of extra undercover seats, which based on what we have seen from the club is completely incorrect.

Sure Labor did have 6 years to do something and only came up with a token offer once the election was all but lost. They must have learnt that move from Mr Abbott in 2007 no doubt.

Obviously we can all make up our own minds but I think this is just another example of this government deliberately deceiving voters while claiming to not technically be breaking an election promise.

Sorry about the marathon post. Hope it shed a little light on it all. Clear as mud right?

Regardless of your political views to have the countries Prime Minister as your number 1 ticket holder is a significant boost for the Sea Eagles.

Perhaps not financially BUT consider the other corporate sponsors.

It cannot be a bad thing, regardless of if you voted for him or not.

Brookie Brawler said:
The fact that Abbott's press release from his own website begins with "If elected" indicates it hangs on the coalition winning the election and is not the same as Labor's already budgeted $10M.
Hmm, if you are relying on two words "if elected" to signify an extra $10mil I think you may have been sucked in by poli-speak!! Probably just meant that if elected, the Coalition will hand over the cheque, if not, Labor will ;)

Brookie Brawler said:
Sorry about the marathon post. Hope it shed a little light on it all. Clear as mud right?
Not at all, and thanks. And yes, and yes !!

I love how we rip into anyone who's a politician.

Any chance of giving the guy a chance before we hang him from the Brookvale scoreboard ?

From all reports, he's a pretty decent bloke.

I just think any team should not have a politician as its #1 ticket holder though many do and it is, in itself, a political play. Problem is, with the electorate usually fairly evenly divided between the parties, you're always going to be pissing off near on 50% of supporters.

TWO DOGS said:
Gee there are some lefty, nasty people on this forum. Abbott is a proud Manly supporter - what's wrong with that? I am very happy to have the Prime Minister as our number one ticketholder.
I'm not a lefty, or righty, nor vertical or horizontal as far as politics go. I support the Free Tim Tams for Teachers party. It's a tough gig for the pollies and they're out there in the public eye for everyone to have a shot at. Goes with the territory. Mostly people are just having a harmless joke though.
I think Tony is the only Manly supporting Prime Minister we've ever had so he may just be the smartest.
Go Manly :D Maybe a Manly flag could be raised at Parliament House.

Brookie Brawler said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
I never saw Abbott quoted saying he'd deliver an extra $10m. If there's a link feel free to prove me wrong.
The Rudd Labor Government will contribute funding of $10 million towards the construction of a new purpose-built grandstand at Brookvale that will provide covered tiered seating for 4,350 spectators as well as corporate hospitality, meeting and community spaces.

Is that all? Need more than 4,350 seats for the Eastern Side. A 25-30 row stand would be plenty sufficient, Around 6-7,000 seats.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Brookie Brawler said:
Hmm, if you are relying on two words "if elected" to signify an extra $10mil I think you may have been sucked in by poli-speak!! Probably just meant that if elected, the Coalition will hand over the cheque, if not, Labor will ;)

Well I definitely wasn't sucked in by it personally. My point was that I think the pledge was indeed "poli-speak" intended to give the impression that the libs offer was somehow better than Labor’s. We will never know if Albo would have handed over the $10M if Labor won. At least the govt canned the $20M for Souths new training facility. Small mercies.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Regardless of your political views to have the countries Prime Minister as your number 1 ticket holder is a significant boost for the Sea Eagles.

Perhaps not financially BUT consider the other corporate sponsors.

It cannot be a bad thing, regardless of if you voted for him or not.

This shows the smarts Dave Perry has in getting Abbott on board.
Perry knows this will get us more $$$ and a PM prestige tag.

Tony lives locally on the Northern Beaches and may be the only PM that is a Manly fan, now and in the future.

Talking about muppets, I'm just extra happy that it weren't - Julia "No Carbon Tax" Gillard, or Kevin "Foul Mouth Pink Batts" Rudd, or Bill "No Corruption Enquiry/Knife in the back" Shorten.

Abbott is the only PM that risks his life as a volunteer fire-fighter.
You won't see any other politicians do something like that.
Craig Thomson would rather spend his time at Tiffany's Girls and their Red turbo spa room.

I'm not a fan of politicians, but Abbott as an Aussie who's trying to do the best he can, I think he's better than most on offer.

Ramrod said:
I'm not a fan of politicians, but Abbott as an Aussie who's trying to do the best he can, I think he's better than most on offer.
I dare you to say that in the General Forum!

globaleagle said:
edit: Maybe I'm just a Manly fan tired of the empty promises from election year after election year whilst still seeing brookie decay. Why does one comment make me left or right? Maybe I'm liberal voter waiting for promised funds, or a labor voter expectant of funds due to the change on govt, or a greens supporter wanting a better stadium to take my mind off the atrocities of manus island?

Maybe a clive palmer supporter wanting to mine the ground under brookie?

Regardless, I am a Manly fan and whilst anonymous champs can try to label away to suit their own narrow views...they can all feel free to label me....A Manly fan!
GE, that was a great post. Made me want get my wings into position - Eagle ones, not political, and do the Eagle Rock. Regardless of individual political views we are all Manly fans so criticism towards each other is unnecessary.
GOOO MAANNNLY! Peace to all;)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Everyone knows Sea Eagles have 2 wings. One on the right, one on the left. ;)

and a sea eagle will never fly unless those left and right wings work together as a team.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6