Precedents set , i think

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The AFB blowup. Im sure its happened before where a ref howler caused massive player dissent. Reportable , but the ref screwed the pooch. Ref boss releases statement screw up punishment enough , no case to answer

But im not really a details guy. Anyone remember ?

I was really surprised considering horsehead really dropped the ball. It was pretty basic. Was he also video ref last week when the sirro one happened. Anyway it seems pretty **** he keeps his job and AFB misses weeks. Really poor management by all involved. I believe the term clusterfuk was invented for just this occasion. It doesnt pass the pub test

Uppercuts all round NRL. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I could be wrong but I think you'll find James Graham with his crooked pointy finger got more and back in the day Blocker Roach got a ****load for patting the ref on the head.

I could be wrong but I think you'll find James Graham with his crooked pointy finger got more and back in the day Blocker Roach got a ****load for patting the ref on the head.
Roach got a stretch but he touch the ref, Graham was significantly more aggressive and threatening/intimidation to the ref. So a bit different to just a simple gobful I reckon if they did get longer

Yep they raised it in 360 and that angry ant Kent had a minor blow up about it. Said he should have got more. He also thought the push was 50/50 lol. The rest of the panel couldn’t believe it. And that’s saying something when Buzz is on.......

Roach got a stretch but he touch the ref, Graham was significantly more aggressive and threatening/intimidation to the ref. So a bit different to just a simple gobful I reckon if they did get longer
At the ground I was too far away and didn't even know what was going on but seeing the replay's the small snippets of AFB didn't show him aggressively approaching the ref, rather just speaking disdainfully while walking away. So I don't know the entirety of what he did.
The insult and the disrespect alone has to incur some consequences because the game can't afford to have junior players thinking its fine to abuse a ref.
But he shouldn't get extra punishment in effect just for being AFB, that is, a big scary looking man, if his actual offence was only the insult and disrespect and open dissent.

Regarding the offensive term, that is something that calls for apology and education but in terms of how he disrespected the ref it doesn't aggravate the offence, in my opinion. His offence was dissenting and disrespecting the ref, and would have been just as bad if he'd said f****** idiot. If that ref had some disability then that's another matter. But in this case he simply used a term that many ignorant people in this community unfortunately still use, so I agree it needs to have the light shone on why it is hurtful to use that term.

As to whether there is any merit in challenging the grading, it would attract further controversy so may not be worth it. But at least we should look into other NRL cases for precedents. Would be good to get it down to one week!

At the ground I was too far away and didn't even know what was going on but seeing the replay's the small snippets of AFB didn't show him aggressively approaching the ref, rather just speaking disdainfully while walking away. So I don't know the entirety of what he did.
The insult and the disrespect alone has to incur some consequences because the game can't afford to have junior players thinking its fine to abuse a ref.
But he shouldn't get extra punishment in effect just for being AFB, that is, a big scary looking man, if his actual offence was only the insult and disrespect and open dissent.

Regarding the offensive term, that is something that calls for apology and education but in terms of how he disrespected the ref it doesn't aggravate the offence, in my opinion. His offence was dissenting and disrespecting the ref, and would have been just as bad if he'd said f****** idiot. If that ref had some disability then that's another matter. But in this case he simply used a term that many ignorant people in this community unfortunately still use, so I agree it needs to have the light shone on why it is hurtful to use that term.

As to whether there is any merit in challenging the grading, it would attract further controversy so may not be worth it. But at least we should look into other NRL cases for precedents. Would be good to get it down to one week!

Its also a great community lesson. Being a passionate islander man im sure there are causes he cares about. Stupidly but accidently he opened a can of bigoted whoop ass.

His intent was never to attack or vilify the disabled, although i do understand the damage acceptance of such behaviour breeds

Education is the the key here, but we have this crazy idea that punishment is education. I hope he learns from it , as does everyone else who casually screws up with no intent one minute but cries foul the next.

Peace

Its also a great community lesson. Being a passionate islander man im sure there are causes he cares about. Stupidly but accidently he opened a can of bigoted whoop ass.

His intent was never to attack or vilify the disabled, although i do understand the damage acceptance of such behaviour breeds

Education is the the key here, but we have this crazy idea that punishment is education. I hope he learns from it , as does everyone else who casually screws up with no intent one minute but cries foul the next.

Peace

Wait a sec .... this is the same bloke that got outraged over a journo .. who to qoute you, with no intent ....was having a laugh at trying to pronounce 30 vowel Islander names ... abused her ....and then played the race card ....

The Mungo is dumb enough to abuse a ref ... then when get's sent off ... tells him to get ****ed ... all the while "accidently" calling him a retard and insulting those with disabilities .... resulting in his denying the club his services for 2 weeks (3 if the goose doesn't get the jab) ...

I find it very difficult to find anything to defend in his behavour ..... he is rapidly becoming a first class tool ....

Have had time to think about this AFB situation and he got it wrong and it's a situation that needs a line in the sand....but here's the thing, I don't think he meant in any way, shape or form, the context of the word he used, he was running high on emotion and had a brain explosion....it was his way of saying ''are you joking, its an obvious f**king penalty"
Personally a bit annoyed how he is being condemned as some monster over the incident, as I don't see it a personal comment as being played out in the media....more a big frustrated bloke who played his guts out for 80 minutes and could not believe this blatantly poor decision from the officials that took away any chance of winning after clawing back into the game...largely on his robust charges in the middle.
My personal opinion on AFB character is a bit different, as personally raised around various cultures not always with the perfect upbringing and know for a fact many, including myself have used captions to describe a person or situation, with zero intention of making fun of those who are different in any way - which is not right, but not at all an attempt to disrespect others, personally only 2 fights I had in high school were ppl picking on others with these issues (makes me sick) ...in fact I would bet AFB would be the first 1 in to aid anyone with a handicap or being bullied in any way, so to bag his character like the Kent's and these blokes is ridiculous, to say he messed up in the heat of battle is his crime, is far closer to the mark.

Ray Hadley going to town on AFB and the spastic remark under the tunnel (the trainers or Manly officials should have kept him away from the refereeing buffoons it was just a powder keg waiting to go off and it did )
Of course remembering Hadley had his own issues abusing an employee for some slight committed and then calling him a spastic .AFB is 24 ish and had just been the victim of yet another howler robbing him and his team of opportunity and emotions were running high (that doesn't excuse his behavior) Hadley was the tender age of 52 when he called someone a spastic because his tea was too cold or too hot or his free sandwiches didn't turn up .The word hypocrite screams to mind !!

Wait a sec .... this is the same bloke that got outraged over a journo .. who to qoute you, with no intent ....was having a laugh at trying to pronounce 30 vowel Islander names ... abused her ....and then played the race card ....

The Mungo is dumb enough to abuse a ref ... then when get's sent off ... tells him to get ****ed ... all the while "accidently" calling him a retard and insulting those with disabilities .... resulting in his denying the club his services for 2 weeks (3 if the goose doesn't get the jab) ...

I find it very difficult to find anything to defend in his behavour ..... he is rapidly becoming a first class tool ....

Its a community lesson, im probably not expecting him to get it but if some do. The irony was my point.

Have had time to think about this AFB situation and he got it wrong and it's a situation that needs a line in the sand....but here's the thing, I don't think he meant in any way, shape or form, the context of the word he used, he was running high on emotion and had a brain explosion....it was his way of saying ''are you joking, its an obvious f**king penalty"
Personally a bit annoyed how he is being condemned as some monster over the incident, as I don't see it a personal comment as being played out in the media....more a big frustrated bloke who played his guts out for 80 minutes and could not believe this blatantly poor decision from the officials that took away any chance of winning after clawing back into the game...largely on his robust charges in the middle.
My personal opinion on AFB character is a bit different, as personally raised around various cultures not always with the perfect upbringing and know for a fact many, including myself have used captions to describe a person or situation, with zero intention of making fun of those who are different in any way - which is not right, but not at all an attempt to disrespect others, personally only 2 fights I had in high school were ppl picking on others with these issues (makes me sick) ...in fact I would bet AFB would be the first 1 in to aid anyone with a handicap or being bullied in any way, so to bag his character like the Kent's and these blokes is ridiculous, to say he messed up in the heat of battle is his crime, is far closer to the mark.
Well said Maxta , was going to comment something similar . Also big difference between some ill judged comments from a journo and from what it seems ignorant based then from a passionate footy warrior who just has given his all for his side and had every right to feeling quite aggrieved with a blatant wrong call which cost his side big time . Neither comments can of course be condoned but i am sure that A F B 's after match apology was genuine and had no actual bad intent with his emotional reaction .. Will have to show a bit more self control if placed in a similar on field situation in the future but lets get the context of this incident into some better perspective

AFB got it badly wrong with the words he used and now the team pays the price during his suspension.

The NRL always bang on about the protection of their offiials at all costs. I understand the need to protect their integrity, I do wish that when they confess to making a mistake that there are consenquences for this.

When we were robbed at Whingermatta park, the touchie who called the pass forward was allowed to carry on the next week, that decision cost a team a win! How are they going to learn if there is no sanction.

Two weeks in a row we have been on the wrong end of a horsehead decision, one did not cost us the game and the other denied us a chance at golden point. Two glaring errors and no punishment for Horsehead.

The bunker is a good idea but its administered by officials with long memories and grudges. The fans are frustrated when they see blatant forward passes ignored during the game when all it takes is a word in the ear of the ref and its called.

The captains challenge has to be fixed. Everything must be on the table. It is a joke that you cant dispute a forward pass. The call the Donkeys got to disallow a fair Warriors try takes the cake. Too much inconsistency and no accountability!!! This iswhat is precedented!!!

At least it shows that the players really have passion and really care about playing for Manly. There’s been a build up of frustration since the Parramatta game and there have a few decisions go against us recently and this one was the last straw. At least they are not laughing after losing the game like some of the Brisbane players did in recent weeks.

AFB doesn't have a leg to stand on. He let his emotions get the better of him. I relate I'm afraid. I understand that when you get mad, your mouth bypasses your brain sometimes.

When he used the word r**ard, he did not mean it in the literal sense. I'm pretty sure of that.

But you can't abuse officials. If we start accepting it, we'll end up like soccer where players get in the face of referees.

As much as it sucks, he is in the wrong. He got off light with two weeks.

I cant link to it at present but there is a classic Manly vs Tigers match from the 70s when Neil Pringle is penalised by Greg Hartley and he runs up and absolutely monsters Hartley. Hartley cool as a cucumber just walks him another 10. Calling someone that name is cruel but whatever happened to "Sticks and Stones.."? Or have they cancelled that too?

I am gobsmacked ... not surprised ... but gobsmacked that people can come up with almost anything to justify abusing a ref, using retard, and then telling him to get ****ed ...

OH ... I get it ... he is just misunderstood ....

He is not Charles Manson or Kevin Rudd ... and he certainly isn't Princess Diana .... but he is a podium finishing numbnut!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4