PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Titans [Round 19, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MATCH OFFICIALS:

Matt Noyen

Referee

Liam Kennedy
Touch Judge

Gavin Badger
Touch Judge

TBA
Video Referee

Jared Maxwell
Senior Review Official

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Horse Head is in the Vidiot Box so don't expect any favours from there this weekend.
Horse Head

oh joy of joys

I'm actually hoping Tom plays, just to add a little excitement to the game and some attacking spark, as now with Crocker at 6 every time he touches the ball I'm afraid we will look disjointed and stutter, making it hard to watch.

So we rush Turbo back for two games once our season has gone just so he can be ready for Origin. Then he tears his hamstring in the high intensity games and misses the start of next season. Shades of Walker and Jake the last two rep seasons.
Can't see an upside for us in any of this.
1,000,000%. I get why he wants to play but FMD if he gets injured and misses the start of next season I'll be pissed off.

If Garrick is available I'd say that either Hopoate will drop out, or he'll move to centre and Harper will miss out. But if Reubs is fit to play then I dare say he'll play.

I'm kinda betting our back 5 that runs out will be Turbo, Funa, Parker, Harper, Garrick.
Yes your probably right with Garrick if that was the case I agree drop Hoppa off and keep Harper in the centres he has been more impressive than Hoppa

Horse Head

oh joy of joys
Going by the Match Officials lists of all the other games being played this weekend, it looks like he will be the only one in the Vidiot Box for our game as all the other games only have the Senior Review Official listed too.

Horse Head

oh joy of joys

So Horsehead survives again.

Responding to the controversy, Annesley, at his weekly football briefing admitted the bunker made a clear "error", after officials Jared Maxwell and Beau Scott had a difference of opinions on what the call should've been.

"I think that should have been a try. It should have been a try today, tomorrow, every day of the week it should have been a try," Annesley said.
"It was an error by the Bunker and it was an error caused by the different views in the Bunker."

Penrith Panthers great Greg Alexander at the time of the decision disagreed on the bunker's ruling and took particular at Maxwell for making a number of questionable decisions on the night.

"Tex Hoy went in front of Butcher and he didn't really affect him as he still had a shot on Lindsay Collins," Alexander told Fox League.

"Jared Maxwell got the first decision of the night wrong and he got that one wrong too. That is two crosses against Jared Maxwell tonight.

"I did think he was the best video referee, but he has just fallen off the perch. He is now no.2 or no.3."

So are we expected to believe that Beau Scott overruled Maxwell on that decision?
As there is now only one Video Review Official why are they still called the Senior Video Review Official?

Funny how Annesley didn't say which ref caused the error but Beau Scott won't be working this weekend.

So Horsehead survives again.

Responding to the controversy, Annesley, at his weekly football briefing admitted the bunker made a clear "error", after officials Jared Maxwell and Beau Scott had a difference of opinions on what the call should've been.

"I think that should have been a try. It should have been a try today, tomorrow, every day of the week it should have been a try," Annesley said.
"It was an error by the Bunker and it was an error caused by the different views in the Bunker."

Penrith Panthers great Greg Alexander at the time of the decision disagreed on the bunker's ruling and took particular at Maxwell for making a number of questionable decisions on the night.

"Tex Hoy went in front of Butcher and he didn't really affect him as he still had a shot on Lindsay Collins," Alexander told Fox League.

"Jared Maxwell got the first decision of the night wrong and he got that one wrong too. That is two crosses against Jared Maxwell tonight.

"I did think he was the best video referee, but he has just fallen off the perch. He is now no.2 or no.3."

So are we expected to believe that Beau Scott overruled Maxwell on that decision?
As there is now only one Video Review Official why are they still called the Senior Video Review Official?

Funny how Annesley didn't say which ref caused the error but Beau Scott won't be working this weekend.
It's astounding how quickly and decisively they jumped after a perceived error by officials that cost the Rorters. Didn't seem to phase them during the year while teams like Manly were getting f$#ked over a barrel by far more costly and amateurish krap.

I'm actually hoping Tom plays, just to add a little excitement to the game and some attacking spark, as now with Crocker at 6 every time he touches the ball I'm afraid we will look disjointed and stutter, making it hard to watch.
One thing Croker can do well is draw in defence and create space for Turbo out wide. The last game they played together Tommy was having a field day outside Croker until he got injured.

It's an interesting point with Metcalf, and any young half to be honest. How do you attract talented halfbacks if your incumbent is signed to an 8 year deal. Where is the career path there ? Metcalf isn't going to want to sit behind DCE for another 3 years. So it may not be a surprise we are lacking a bit of depth in the halves

This is not intended as a criticism of DCE so don't get all high and mighty, it's a genuine question about how do you manage depth in positions with extraordinarily long contracts. We could say the same about Tommy and his 7 year deal, but fullbacks tend to have a bit more flexibility than halfbacks in terms of positional coverage. A lot of them start first grade on the wing anyway.

It's one of the big downsides to long contracts

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4