Pre-Game discussion: Manly v Souths [Finals week 2, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Two close games against Souths this year. Manly started well in the Round 4 at Lottoland, but then fell away with a sub standard completion rate - it was pure grit that eventually got us over the line (also Reynolds missed several hots at goal). Both sides were under strength. In Round 16, in a howling gale at ANZ, Manly played very well to come back from an 18-6 deficit. We lost despite scoring 4 tries to 3 (our first try was a bit dubious) - goal kicking was the difference.

This time, I think it starts an even money game. We played very well last week against the Sharks - one of our most complete performances all year. In contrast, Souths played poorly against the Roosters. Are the Rabbitohs capable of regrouping & coming out all guns blazing this game? I'd say yes - we did it after receiving a dust up from the Eels in Round 25. But, I also think we can play with an even higher intensity than last week.

To win, as always, we'll need to dominate in the forwards from the opening whistle and have a very smart kicking game.

Two close games against Souths this year. Manly started well in the Round 4 at Lottoland, but then fell away with a sub standard completion rate - it was pure grit that eventually got us over the line (also Reynolds missed several hots at goal). Both sides were under strength. In Round 16, in a howling gale at ANZ, Manly played very well to come back from an 18-6 deficit. We lost despite scoring 4 tries to 3 (our first try was a bit dubious) - goal kicking was the difference.

This time, I think it starts an evening money game. We played very well last week against the Sharks - one of our most complete performances all year. In contrast, Souths played poorly against the Roosters. Are the Rabbitohs capable of regrouping & coming out all guns blazing this game? I'd say yes - we did it after receiving a dust up from the Eels in Round 25. But, I also think we can play with an even higher intensity than last week.

To win, as always, we'll need to dominate in the forwards from the opening whistle and have a very smart kicking game.
upload_2019-9-19_20-51-9.gif

Nuf said!

Think we’ll know pretty quickly ( like we did with the Gummies), if we score first , and then maybe another one in the first 20, momentum and confidence might get us there.

The reverse and the heads might go down.

Could in fact end up tit for tat and go to Golden Point again.

Wouldn’t that be something!!

The NRL might have its knickers in a twist over Sam Burgess’s unscripted opinions but as far as Des Hasler is concerned, the Rabbitohs enforcer is just adding to the theatre of rugby league.

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

September 19, 2019

·

Under-pressure South Sydney enforcer Sam Burgess has found an unlikely ally in his battle with the NRL — Manly coach Des Hasler.

Burgess will be facing a fine when he meets NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg to explain the “kangaroos court” comment he made in The Daily Telegraph when describing the judiciary and match review committee.

However, Manly coach Des Hasler has refused to jump on the anti-Burgess bandwagon in the lead-up to the sudden-death final at ANZ Stadium.

“I like watching him play,’’ Hasler said. “He’s not just a good player, I think he adds great drama and really good theatre to the game.

“He is just a competitor. He will turn up ready to play. I don’t think he will worry too much about that (the drama this week).”

Asked if Burgess’s aggression was good for rugby league, Hasler said: “Aggression? It depends how you want to define aggression.

“Are you asking me is Sam Burgess good for rugby league and the NRL? Of course he is.

“You’ve only got the look at the experience he brings to the side. I think he’s an important part of their side along with (Adam) Reynolds and (Cody) Walker.”

Hasler rejected any notion Manly would attempt to goad the volatile Burgess.

“I don’t think so,” Hasler laughed. “I think they will be too busy chasing the leather to worry about Sam Burgess.

“Souths’ front row has the three Burgess boys and Liam Knight has been really good over the past month, which complements (Damian) Cook’s game out of dummy half and the lock, Cameron Murray.

“It will come down to how the main stakeholders manage the game.

Hasler is more interested in stopping Burgess on the field. Photo: Matt King/Getty Images

“I thought Souths were outstanding in the round-25 match when they beat the Roosters. The Roosters ambushed them a little bit the following week.

“But Souths settled down and managed to win the second half 6-4 and they now have Sam back. They are a pretty experienced side as well.

“They have a couple of players who can steer them around the park and manage their game. It will be a different South Sydney to the one we saw last weekend against the Roosters.”

Rabbitohs fans will be out in force at their home ground but Manly supporters won’t be swamped.

Fifteen busloads of Sea Eagles fans will travel from Sydney’s northern beaches for the game, which will attract a crowd between 25,000 and 30,000.

“That’s great isn’t it? Fantastic,” Hasler said. “It will be great to hear the Manly chant going up. I know the players really appreciate it.”

Asked if it was a myth that Manly fans refused to attend away games, Hasler said: “I think so, yeah. They will be there.”

Remind me not to stand next to Reuben if you two are around.

It'd look something like this I reckon:

PD773721_Film-Stills_Film-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Yoda_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqmw02gqH0rTELiRe0HJR42N8mQSho2byt_RspSVNl9LY.jpg

For Ella: That's Luke Skywalker and Yoda, they were in some movie a long, long time ago!
Doesn't that guy on the left look a little like Des - u know, DalyM coach of the year . . .? Harnessing The Force?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8