Pre-Game discussion: Manly v Souths [Finals week 2, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Here's hoping that Manly has worked hard on their defence out wide this past week or Souths will likely exploit this weakness. This part of Manly's game has been a big issue in the past few games (I think mainly since Tom was injured) and is where most tries have been scored against them. They need more talking in defence, telling each other who they are marking and any adjustments that they need to make.

The Sharks scored one try on either side of the field out wide just by having an extra man in attack. I was sitting behind the goal line, watching the play closely when the first try was scored by the Sharks. They very easily created an extra man in attack and Manly did not adjust at all to this. From memory, the Sharks were about 25m out. A player was tackled near the middle of the field. Ball was then shifted to the Sharks left (Manly's right) and then came back to the middle. Sharks player was then tackled near middle. At this moment, Graham turns to someone (can't remember who) and tells him to move outside him and make an extra man on the left side. I was then waiting for DCE, Suli, Elliot, someone, anyone to do something. But nothing was done. Play continued. Ball was shifted to the right side to hide the extra man on the left side. A couple of tackles later the ball was then shifted quickly to the left and they easily made their way through to score a try without a hand being laid on them.
We have to do better
We usually get opened up on our right
Dce gets up and in but if Suli and Garrick are slow to respond (mirror Dce )
the pass is still on, teams can see it and keep going there
JetSki’s edge defence has improved ,not getting sucked in by the dummy runner of late

Although we did concede the first try to our right the next down our left and one through the middle
In the context of the game Dce’s offensive reads more then offset those tries
So going into this game we know we can get better and I think will

I rate our spine better then Souths even with Elliot in forTom
I’m curious to see how Des plays Trex

Manly Daily Front Page Today - (finally )
Capture+_2019-09-18-06-25-00.png

We must get better

Jon Geddes

THE Sea Eagles stirring performance in beating the Sharks on the weekend will not be enough in Friday night’s sudden-death final against the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium.

That is the main message from skipper Daly Cherry-Evans to his teammates following the makeshift side’s inspiring 28-16 win at Lottoland.

Cherry-Evans said he was explaining to the team they have to go to another level when they face Souths.

“The first week of finals was good, we played really well but there is going to be another level of intensity added to this week,” Cherry-Evans said.

“We need to be better and we can be better.”

Practising what he preached, Cherry-Evans stayed on the field after the squad’s session at Narrabeen yesterday finetuning his kicking in driving rain.

“It’s just part of preparation for me, the kicking game is obviously very important for every team,” he said.

“I’ve got to make sure I play my role in the side and practising kicking is certainly an enjoyable part of training so I don’t mind hanging around and kicking a few footies.

“On a personal level I will be prepared for any situation,” he said. “I like to go into a game understanding no matter what happens I like to think I have done enough in past experiences and training during the week to cover all bases.”

Cherry-Evans said he enjoys the pressure that comes with these big games.

“You guys want to call it pressure situations, I call it finals footy,” he said.

“Flip it on its head I get to play finals footy again and that excites me, it doesn’t daunt me.

“That is where you want to be as a player, they are the games you want to be involved in.

“And when you get written off that is even better because when you prove them wrong it is pretty nice feeling.”

http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manly-daily/

I’m worried about the wet weather. Manly have not won a rain effected game this season.
We won one game in the wet v dogs I think. But yeah I agree we have lost a bunch and I’d be gutted if this game is in the wet.

Here's hoping that Manly has worked hard on their defence out wide this past week or Souths will likely exploit this weakness. This part of Manly's game has been a big issue in the past few games (I think mainly since Tom was injured) and is where most tries have been scored against them. They need more talking in defence, telling each other who they are marking and any adjustments that they need to make.

The Sharks scored one try on either side of the field out wide just by having an extra man in attack. I was sitting behind the goal line, watching the play closely when the first try was scored by the Sharks. They very easily created an extra man in attack and Manly did not adjust at all to this. From memory, the Sharks were about 25m out. A player was tackled near the middle of the field. Ball was then shifted to the Sharks left (Manly's right) and then came back to the middle. Sharks player was then tackled near middle. At this moment, Graham turns to someone (can't remember who) and tells him to move outside him and make an extra man on the left side. I was then waiting for DCE, Suli, Elliot, someone, anyone to do something. But nothing was done. Play continued. Ball was shifted to the right side to hide the extra man on the left side. A couple of tackles later the ball was then shifted quickly to the left and they easily made their way through to score a try without a hand being laid on them.
They’ve been playing up and in all year to take away a lot of the decision making from young inexperienced players. These guys aren’t Jamie Lyon , Matai etc who can read the play and adjust. It’s far easier to get young guys to commit on one method and execute it.
Bottom line it has been working as our position on the ladder shows but agree that when it fails it looks bad.

Very interesting that last week's debutant Haumole is retained instead of Sipley. Both have obvious fitness question marks but it looks to be a massive vote of confidence in the young bloke. He's certainly the type who can cause some damage with the ball. A good reward for Lloyd also.
Of course, we won't be sure until close to the game but Des picked him last week and he played, so there!

Agree to an extent, but Keppie, Toff and Loyd are all middle forwards and Mole an edge forward.

I think it is mainly about balance, but Mole certainly looked likely last week

Having just watched the replay I can't get my head around how good and involved Keppie was :nod:

Good ... one more disciple ....

Keppie ... these stats would be great for a 100 game veteran ..... they are unbelievable for a first run on rookie ....

68 minutes , made 19 runs for 183 metres ........ and made 33 tackles missed 3 ..... and made nil errors and gave away nil penalties ....

Good ... one more disciple ....

Keppie ... these stats would be great for a 100 game veteran ..... they are unbelievable for a first run on rookie ....

68 minutes , made 19 runs for 183 metres ........ and made 33 tackles missed 3 ..... and made nil errors and gave away nil penalties ....
And that display of self confidence (some call cocky @:rolleyes:) as he ran on at Brookie was one for the record books :rock:
Kelpie.gif

If it's wet our middle and edge need to be tight otherwise Cook will have a field day.

They’ve been playing up and in all year to take away a lot of the decision making from young inexperienced players. These guys aren’t Jamie Lyon , Matai etc who can read the play and adjust. It’s far easier to get young guys to commit on one method and execute it.
Bottom line it has been working as our position on the ladder shows but agree that when it fails it looks bad.
Having Tom off injured doesn't help. The fullback handles most of the communications regarding defensive structures. Elliott's a great fill-in but Tom's been trained by Snake (best in the business) all year.

The difference between Saturday night and this Friday night is that while John Morris is no dummy, neither is Wayne Bennett who has a LOT more experience at this coaching caper. Bennett has been in the game way too long to not be able to spot any weaknesses that we have in our defence and have his boys work on exploiting that. And with players out wide like Gagai, Roberts, Walker and Johnson, plus an experienced half like Reynolds, they have players good enough to do the job.

But Des is no fool either. You don't coach teams to 5 Grand Finals and 2 premierships by being a mug who has no idea what you're doing. While Souffs will work to exploit them, we'll be working on fixing any weaknesses.

Agree, maybe this is the way Des has them playing. Compressed defence, stop the opposition going through the middle and give them a chance to get through out wide.

The Storm, Eels and Sharks all worked this out and I fear that Souths will work this out too. Put an extra man out wide and Manly does not adjust. Saw a replay of the first try last night and the commentators were saying that Gosiewski did not adjust due to his injury but I'm not so sure it was entirely his fault. This all coincides with Tom not playing so maybe he does a lot more talking than Elliot. Surely they would train for this before a game and you would think that DCE with his experience would work better with the guys around him to adjust.

Look like it could be a wet match, not good for us as we don't play great in wet conditions.

We have been thrashed every time it's rained this year.
We tend to drop too much possession.

Reynolds will have a field day. Not a good omen

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4