PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Rabbits [Round 2, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

MW66

Reserve Grader
Late mail: The Sea Eagles are sweating on the fitness of Kieran Foran after he suffered a knock to the knee which saw him leave the field early last weekend. I am expecting him to be ruled out, which will see Josh Schuster come in at five-eighth to play his second NRL game. Cade Cust comes onto the bench and I expect to see he and Lachlan Croker split time at hooker during the game.

I will be amazed if Schuster comes in given the weather forecast. Cust played 5/8 last year and I expect if Foran is out then Cust comes in. I will also be surprised if Schuster comes on the bench. Wet track = another big bopper. Hopefully Sipley as I think he could do well.

MW66

Reserve Grader
Got around to watching the replay of the Blacktown game last night. Key oberservatiosn were:
1. Tupiluto (check spelling) played very well in the centres in both attack/defence. Surely he has got to start in front of Parker;
2. Schuster was ok but a bit loose. To be expected but clearly he has a few rough edges;
3. Saddler - good and bent the line. Fitness and discipline probably the only thing holding him back but worht a shot;
4. Olak'Tau - FG material. Hits hard in defence, is mobile and aggressive. Everythign Sironen has lost. Why not at least give him a chance - and for more than 1 week;
5. Sipley - FG. Give him a bloody run;
6. Cust - FG. Either 5/8 (you cannot tell me at hsi age Foran is adding more) or play hooker/bench utility.

Time for a change Des.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
Got around to watching the replay of the Blacktown game last night. Key oberservatiosn were:
1. Tupiluto (check spelling) played very well in the centres in both attack/defence. Surely he has got to start in front of Parker;
2. Schuster was ok but a bit loose. To be expected but clearly he has a few rough edges;
3. Saddler - good and bent the line. Fitness and discipline probably the only thing holding him back but worht a shot;
4. Olak'Tau - FG material. Hits hard in defence, is mobile and aggressive. Everythign Sironen has lost. Why not at least give him a chance - and for more than 1 week;
5. Sipley - FG. Give him a bloody run;
6. Cust - FG. Either 5/8 (you cannot tell me at hsi age Foran is adding more) or play hooker/bench utility.

Time for a change Des.
You left out the great Suliali!

Ryan

Journey Man
Hopefully the rainy weather brings us back into it. Their outside backs may hopefully plod a bit under foot, especially given Brooky Oval is heavy set (they say) already

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
How is Schuster meant to thrive when the entire team has no attacking game plan that is evident?

The licence to "play what's in front of you" usually works at clubs where everyone knows their roles and someone is directing the team around the park. But we are not getting any fluency or direction at the moment, aren't completing our sets or defending well, and don't build pressure.

Sure we could/should throw Schuster in at #6 for experience and hope that a bit of individual brilliance might work... but I don't think it will solve any of our problems.

Also I would like to be a fly on the wall when the coach and team discuss tactics...
It isn't about solving immediate problems, it is about starting our build for next year and the year after without hindering what we would otherwise achieve this year. If we wait for all of our problems to be fixed before putting him in he will never get a run. League is tough as you know, no player can be guaranteed ideal conditions or team dynamics.

I have heard multiple people say this player wont fix things, or that player wont fix things...and in isolation that is correct. So do people think the solution is a singular fix, and until we have that perfect silver bullet we don't fire a shot?

We need to make multiple changes, all of which might be individual in some sense, but part of an interrelated and collaborative effort to build serious change over the next 12-24 months. It starts with exciting young talent coming in together as much as possible, so that they not only gather experience as an individual, but get experience playing together as our future. It is about turning the culture around with an injection of enthusiasm which can only do wonders for the more experienced guys who they will play with.

Otherwise we will become the Tigers who are still trying to recapture former glories by letting go young talent (Teddy, Paps, Addo-carr, Moses etc) and buying players like Packer, Mbye, Reynolds, BJ Leilua and Roberts.

There is no way the young guys will come in and take us to the top four this year - nobody expects that - but I want to be building a dynasty not taking the soft option and playing to avoid the spoon and not much more.

Ryan

Journey Man
It isn't about solving immediate problems, it is about starting our build for next year and the year after without hindering what we would otherwise achieve this year. If we wait for all of our problems to be fixed before putting him in he will never get a run. League is tough as you know, no player can be guaranteed ideal conditions or team dynamics.

I have heard multiple people say this player wont fix things, or that player wont fix things...and in isolation that is correct. So do people think the solution is a singular fix, and until we have that perfect silver bullet we don't fire a shot?

We need to make multiple changes, all of which might be individual in some sense, but part of an interrelated and collaborative effort to build serious change over the next 12-24 months. It starts with exciting young talent coming in together as much as possible, so that they not only gather experience as an individual, but get experience playing together as our future. It is about turning the culture around with an injection of enthusiasm which can only do wonders for the more experienced guys who they will play with.

Otherwise we will become the Tigers who are still trying to recapture former glories by letting go young talent (Teddy, Paps, Addo-carr, Moses etc) and buying players like Packer, Mbye, Reynolds, BJ Leilua and Roberts.

There is no way the young guys will come in and take us to the top four this year - nobody expects that - but I want to be building a dynasty not taking the soft option and playing to avoid the spoon and not much more.

Good call. For mine, it's about getting your 1, 6, 7 & 9 right, and building around those. Broken down:

01. Tom Trbojevic (fit one of the best, note IF fit)
06. Josh Schuster (let's build for the future, and put game / experience under his belt)
07. DCE (hmmm, need to see WAY more out of him than the past 3 seasons)
09. Manase Fainu (hope it works out for him)

Those four (possibly not including DCE who may be gone in two years) are a fantastic base of moving forward. Just need to get, and keep them on the field.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
If Foran is out, what Des does next will reveal where his head is at.
I am not so sure about my earlier prognostication re Schuster now. There are three backs currently in the extra reserves list - Funa, Schuster & Harper. If Des doesn't promote Schuster, I think he would likely revert to previous selections, i.e. Walker to five eighth and Funa (14 last game) to fullback. Even though Funa was improving as fullback by the end of last year, one of his early games, Rd 15 v. Souths, was a shocker, esp. his 'try assist' to Latrell.

Last edited:

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Interesting Freddie and Joey’s take on the team, they highlighted the middle forwards as one of our main problems.

They gave it to DCE and Jake as having zero impact on our games along with Turbo getting paid overs on their performances.

Coming from the blues coach Jake needs to look ft his game.

We do have some good younger forwards coming through and it maybe time for these guys to get some minutes.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The weather is going to save us from a 60 point thrashing if it was a dry night that was on the cards.

100mm of rain if it comes , we will be lucky to 1500 if that for a crowd.

I think we will still get beat but by a score line of 20-6 points will be a premium on Saturday!!

AFB if he was still here would of been huge for us come Saturday night in this weather

ManlyArmy

Bencher
Anyone else thinking that the game could be in doubt with the impending weather?

Sydney is copping a battering and it doesn’t look like easing until Sunday.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Interesting quote from Wayne Bennett to James Roberts last year:

"You know you are also paid to pass"

Maybe someone could tell that to Moses Suli.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Anyone else thinking that the game could be in doubt with the impending weather?

Sydney is copping a battering and it doesn’t look like easing until Sunday.
Fox won’t allow it
only thing stopping it would be lightning ⚡️ around when players are running around
the northern hill coe end of the ground would already be so muddy
would be wise to postpone the match but just can’t see it happening

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16