PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Knights [Round 8, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"True Blue Steve Menzies believes the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles can still be a Top 4 side without Tom Trboejvic but only if they can find a way to remain consistent and overcome the weekly grind of playing NRL football.
Trbojevic suffered a hamstring in the Sea Eagles’ gritty 14-6 victory over Canberra Raiders in Round 6 and is expected to be sidelined for up to eight weeks in a major blow to their premiership aspirations.
The Sea Eagles suffered a heavy defeat the following week without him against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, prompting questions if they can still be a premiership force without their star fullback."

"Menzies, who is the greatest try-scoring forward in history and played 349 games for the club, believes they have the potential to still be a competition heavyweight in 2020 but must not dwell on any disappointing performances.
“He (Trbojevic) just does so much…it’s not just that sweep play, he’s pushing one off the ruck (and) you see him 20m out from the try-line and he’ll take the first hit-up and take it across the line,” he said on Behind Blue Eyes.
“He just fills so many holes, but I think they can (make the Top 4 without him).
“I think what they have shown over the past four or five weeks is that can beat everyone and beat every side. I think they’ll ignore games that they lost but they just need that consistency.
“I still think they can be a top 4 side without Turbo.”
Menzies is confident the Sea Eagles can defy their critics and get back into the winner’s circle after proving their worth against the Broncos and Raiders in previous weeks – they overcame an 18-0 deficit against Brisbane before defeating the Grand Finalists a week later despite a heavy injury toll.
While they boast a vast array of representative stars in Daly Cherry-Evans, Martin Taupau, and Addin Fonua-Blake, ‘Beaver’ admits their biggest challenge is getting into the grind of week-to-week football considering they have a young playing roster.
“Des would be disappointed and I suppose they‘ve got a young side, but they’re playing for each other and you saw the commitment the week before (against the Raiders),” he said.
“But consistency is the hard thing for young teams (because) it’s the NRL. It’s this constant week-in, week-out battle and that can be hard.
“If you’re off a fraction then you’ll get shown up.
“That one-off game doesn’t concern me. It’s about how they turn up next week.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Dce has exclusively been given the reigns for our 5th tackle options this season... yes tell us something we dont know!
Wow, Walker has only kicked 11 times in 6 games. Now anyone who thinks Walker is a 5/8 should finally change their mind after this stat! That's if we needed any more proof. A genuine halves partner for Chez next year is crucial for our premiership chances. This allows Walker back to centre which also strengthens our outside backs. Burton is the obvious choice and I'd be throwing all Thommo's money at him. Cust and Croker to be great utility/ depth options. Hopefully Fainu back aswell and we would look a new team

Wow, Walker has only kicked 11 times in 6 games. Now anyone who thinks Walker is a 5/8 should finally change their mind after this stat! That's if we needed any more proof. A genuine halves partner for Chez next year is crucial for our premiership chances. This allows Walker back to centre which also strengthens our outside backs. Burton is the obvious choice and I'd be throwing all Thommo's money at him. Cust and Croker to be great utility/ depth options. Hopefully Fainu back aswell and we would look a new team
Walker doesn't kick much because dce is the main kicker. Buuuut walker is better at putting on a set play, running the ball and short side raids. Most of us agree we need a new half but imho walker has been miles better this year then dce.. if walker was partnered with cleary he'd be killed it even more as dce does nothing on the right side. I dunno mate i really hope dce steps up this week im sick of watching him struggle

Think it has to come on the back of the forwards. We need quick play the balls and some off loads. Up tempo footy. Intensity running hard with the ball. Will be a dry weather game.

Will still be hard without Tom and there is no variety around the ruck without Faniu. No one to second guess the defence. At times last year looked like he had spiders on him, we had Marty and AFB off loading and Tom was electric around the ruck. Miss watching that. Tommy was even in better form than last year too, such a big loss

Wow that backline stinks. I dare say that's the worst backline in the competition behind one of the best packs (bar Levi). I feel sorry for our forwards doing the hard stuff only to see that paltry backline fail to capitalize and create any points. The pressure is well and truely on myth boy to produce a commanding game management performance this week. If I see anymore last tackle kicks dribbling straight into Ponga's hands I'll fuking throw a six pack through the TV.
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzz

"True Blue Steve Menzies believes the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles can still be a Top 4 side without Tom Trboejvic but only if they can find a way to remain consistent and overcome the weekly grind of playing NRL football.
Trbojevic suffered a hamstring in the Sea Eagles’ gritty 14-6 victory over Canberra Raiders in Round 6 and is expected to be sidelined for up to eight weeks in a major blow to their premiership aspirations.
The Sea Eagles suffered a heavy defeat the following week without him against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, prompting questions if they can still be a premiership force without their star fullback."

"Menzies, who is the greatest try-scoring forward in history and played 349 games for the club, believes they have the potential to still be a competition heavyweight in 2020 but must not dwell on any disappointing performances.
“He (Trbojevic) just does so much…it’s not just that sweep play, he’s pushing one off the ruck (and) you see him 20m out from the try-line and he’ll take the first hit-up and take it across the line,” he said on Behind Blue Eyes.
“He just fills so many holes, but I think they can (make the Top 4 without him).
“I think what they have shown over the past four or five weeks is that can beat everyone and beat every side. I think they’ll ignore games that they lost but they just need that consistency.
“I still think they can be a top 4 side without Turbo.”
Menzies is confident the Sea Eagles can defy their critics and get back into the winner’s circle after proving their worth against the Broncos and Raiders in previous weeks – they overcame an 18-0 deficit against Brisbane before defeating the Grand Finalists a week later despite a heavy injury toll.
While they boast a vast array of representative stars in Daly Cherry-Evans, Martin Taupau, and Addin Fonua-Blake, ‘Beaver’ admits their biggest challenge is getting into the grind of week-to-week football considering they have a young playing roster.
“Des would be disappointed and I suppose they‘ve got a young side, but they’re playing for each other and you saw the commitment the week before (against the Raiders),” he said.
“But consistency is the hard thing for young teams (because) it’s the NRL. It’s this constant week-in, week-out battle and that can be hard.
“If you’re off a fraction then you’ll get shown up.
“That one-off game doesn’t concern me. It’s about how they turn up next week.”
Good one Beaver. Nothing like blind optimism, rose coloured glasses and eternal hope and prayer.

Their left edge is vulnerable. We need some quick play the balls and for Sirro to hit some holes. Suli back is huge for us. its going to be a hard day in the middle though, Saifiti has been on fire, their middle is strong.

Good one Beaver. Nothing like blind optimism, rose coloured glasses and eternal hope and prayer.
Beaver is not fazed by one bad display against the Sharks . He is reflecting on our recent resilient wins and that is where he gets his inspiration and optimism feathered friend

Walker is an outstanding centre and average five eighth. Croker is a better than average hooker and average five eighth. Cust and Metcalfe are better than average halves and average five eighths, DCE is an outstanding half and better than average five eighth. Work out from there what we need.

Walker is an outstanding centre and average five eighth. Croker is a better than average hooker and average five eighth. Cust and Metcalfe are better than average halves and average five eighths, DCE is an outstanding half and better than average five eighth. Work out from there what we need.
Our defence was poor last week, but for me all season our attack has been pedestrian and lacked cohesion.

Concern for me is where do our points come from. Who has the skill set to make something out of nothing happen without Tom. Hopefully the halves step up tomorrow.

Our defence was poor last week, but for me all season our attack has been pedestrian and lacked cohesion.

Concern for me is where do our points come from. Who has the skill set to make something out of nothing happen without Tom. Hopefully the halves step up tomorrow.
Exactly. Going to be all up to DCE and will be too predictable. Biggest concern is we have Garrick at the back who is not a full back, funa is a liability and not damaging running the ball, Crocker absolutely stiffles any attacking raids, Levi will go the wrong way or pass to the wrong person. Where is the attack coming from??

Will need the forwards to completely dominant and allow DCE to give early ball to his backs especially Suli. We need a few repeat sets as well.

If they continue to run it on the last, surely that is Dez coaching. Seems very conservative this year with out attack?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4