PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Bulldogs [Round 8, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
NRL >com

While the spotlight is pointed brightly at Anthony Seibold and Wayne Bennett leading up to Thursday's Broncos-Rabbitohs match, there is another coach facing his old club in round eight.

Des Hasler will be coaching against the Bulldogs for the first time since he parted ways with the former board and management in September 2017.

In the flurry of emotions over the Seibold-Bennett face-off, Hasler's trip down memory lane has almost been forgotten.

But there's no underlying nastiness here. He had nothing but praise for his successor at Belmore, Dean Pay.

"They would have got a lot of confidence out of the win against the Cowboys and they were pretty competitive against South Sydney, who are up there as a benchmark team, and they were pretty good the previous week against Melbourne, who are no slouches," Hasler said of the Dogs' progress over the past four rounds, neglecting to mention the 40-4 thumping by the Dragons in between.

"We'll have to make a few changes in the make-up of our side. But they are playing good footy - he's doing a good job, Dean Pay."

Hasler and his patched-up Manly side host the Bulldogs at Lottoland next Saturday.

The dual premiership winning coach will likely be without halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who suffered a potentially serious ankle injury in the win over Canberra, and has question marks over hooker Api Koroisau and winger Jorge Taufua – both with calf muscle issues.

Before any of that happened in the 24-20 win over the Raiders, he had the video analyser working overtime on the Bulldogs.

"I've done a lot of tape on them – they're a good footy side.

"They're playing really good footy and I like the style they are playing. They are backing each other; they're playing for each other. "

Hasler last coached the Bulldogs in round 26, 2017, ending his six-year tenure with a 26-20 win over the Dragons.

From that day, there are eight survivors from the side that beat the Cowboys 24-12 last Friday. So a sizeable chunk of the squad Hasler pulled together is still there.

"That's why it's pleasing to see them performing so well – it doesn't surprise me.

"They are a capable footy side who, if you underestimate them a little bit, can burn you.

"No, nothing personal [in it]," Hasler said, before being asked if he felt had anything to prove professionally.

"Look, it was two years ago ... but you've got a week to think about it so I'm sure you'll find something. But nothing personal – not at all."

Dogs aren't going to win this'
giphy.gif

The filth dogs say they are motivated, lol, remember it was they who sacked Des and had to pay him out after they played ducks and drakes over a new contract there.

One thing all season that Manly have in spades is resilience and determination and the loss of DCE and clouds over Jorge and Api will make this game a big challenge for Manly. I think that Des might have them fired up to send the Filth Dogs a reminder of how they treated him!!

Big day at Lottoland in Saturday

Check out our Super Saturday for May 4 12.45pmCanterbury Cup: Blacktown Workers vs Bulldogs, Lottoland 3pm SG Ball Grand Final: Manly vs Illawarra, Bankwest Stadium 3.15pm Jersey Flegg: Manly v Bulldogs, Lottoland 5.30pm NRL: Manly vs Bulldogs, Lottoland

Tipped us every game except dragons in the last five. But think this will be a bridge too far. You can only take so many stars out of a side before it gets you.
Not worried at all if we lose. We know we have a good side when we get our top players out there. If Des can conjur a win he is a more than a genius. Dogs are playing ad lib dangerous footy. Not to be underestimated.Were very good against Souths and Storm and belted Cowboys who were coming off a good win. Should be a cracking match.

Yes...seem to have forgotten where he joined them from - and didn’t they whoop it up at the time?

Agreed. I was in some backwater ski resort wearing the Manly hat and some guy in the rental shed yelled out: "Hey, we got your coach!!"

I said: "That's nice." (Mrs Brown's boys style) "But I think I can handle it, what with winning the GF and all."

Dog: "YeAH bUt wE gOT yOur CoACh... dErP!"

I realised then to just smile and get on with my day (which was basically falling over a lot).

Agreed. I was in some backwater ski resort wearing the Manly hat and some guy in the rental shed yelled out: "Hey, we got your coach!!"

I said: "That's nice." (Mrs Brown's boys style) "But I think I can handle it, what with winning the GF and all."

Dog: "YeAH bUt wE gOT yOur CoACh... dErP!"

I realised then to just smile and get on with my day (which was basically falling over a lot).
Now you can say 'You got our Coach but he got all your money' :rofl:

I believe that Des can keep this group's mind on the job and the axe against the wheel. Hell be telling the group until he is blue in the face that this is going to be a really tough game. We need these two points!

Daly Cherry-Evans is about to undergo surgery on his syndesmosis injury, still hopeful of the initial six-week recovery time frame. Expecting Jorge Taufua and Api Koroisau to both be named for Manly after positive scan results on calf strains at the weekend @NRLcom

We have key injuries but we also have belief in our selves and resilience back in our DNA

Very hard to win against men possessed with belief and resilience .

Des has our players so possessed with an urge to win at all cost and against adversity that they are prepared to sacrifice anything on the battle field for each other to satisfy their strong desire for winning a game

Times have changed under DEs

The Manly Sea eagles are not just a social club any more where personal friendship came first .

They are back to being a proud respected club where ...

Winning is everything !!!

|
r0_0_640_360_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Last edited:
Tipped us every game except dragons in the last five. But think this will be a bridge too far. You can only take so many stars out of a side before it gets you.
Not worried at all if we lose. We know we have a good side when we get our top players out there. If Des can conjur a win he is a more than a genius. Dogs are playing ad lib dangerous footy. Not to be underestimated.Were very good against Souths and Storm and belted Cowboys who were coming off a good win. Should be a cracking match.

Lets look at things in perspective feathered friend

You can take players out of a Manly team but you cannot take the resilence out of this years Manly players

Like in previous games against adversity we prevailed and our new resilient DNA will take us all the way........

to another win

With the injuries we have the Bulldogs are going to be extremely tough this week. Nie on impossible to beat. Injuries Injuries Injuries.

With the injuries we have the Bulldogs are going to be extremely tough this week. Nie on impossible to beat. Injuries Injuries Injuries.

Yes we do have injuries . We have also a team that has learnt and proven to thrive and rise under adversity .

Beware of the wounded Sea eagles

As no other rises higher than a Sea eagle !!!

rise-eagle.jpg

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9