PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Broncos [Round 9, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
I would really like to see us take games to Gosford instead of Brisbane.

There is no way we are picking up any new supporters up there and we are just giving Brisbane even more money in their coffers.

I don’t know what the average is at Gosford when we play but I would like to see more games their and in NZ if we are taking games away from Brookie.

I would really like to see us take games to Gosford instead of Brisbane.

There is no way we are picking up any new supporters up there and we are just giving Brisbane even more money in their coffers.

I don’t know what the average is at Gosford when we play but I would like to see more games their and in NZ if we are taking games away from Brookie.
We get most of the $$ If it is our home game up there. And think of our poor qld supporters. Let’s not deprive them.

Heading down the highway for the three days Magic Round and it’s so frustrating we will be taking the bogans on so weakened. What we would do to these pretenders with a full strength side would be a joy to watch.

The only thing the Broncos have really is speed and unfortunately that’s what will trouble us most. But no doubt we’ll have a huge dig.

It depends which Bronco's side turns up. The one that gave the Sharks a bath two weeks ago would give us a flogging, if they put it together again, because of our injuries. I really think Croker is a huge loss, given his confidence and steadiness over the last couple of games, and extremely concerned about big Marty, AFB, Api, all carrying leg injuries. Suncorp is cauldron for leg injuries, and the effort these boys are going to have to bring to the party, may see us with some longer term problems.

I seriously hope the boys can come through unscathed, but it is worrying me, and will be a headache for Des for sure.

• Clever
Reactions: Sue
The whole broncos thing is a crock. This is what Brisbane gave up when the broncos took over: a strong comp that would have led to a proper conference system by now.

Look at this semi from 1980, great intro, dressing room access and a real game of rugby league.

One team in Brisbane leaves them
diminished and most of their fans don’t even realise.

The whole broncos thing is a crock. This is what Brisbane gave up when the broncos took over: a strong comp that would have led to a proper conference system by now.

Look at this semi from 1980, great intro, dressing room access and a real game of rugby league.

One team in Brisbane leaves them
diminished and most of their fans don’t even realise.
Fearnleys Kangaroo side that ran on in a test in the early 80s against the kiwis included 10 of the 13 starters playing out of Souths Wynnum and Redcliffe.Then he sacked four of them in one hit.The best second rower of his time Mark Graham was in that Norths side that won in 1980 and our very own Graham Lowe was coach.

Players like Meninga Close Ribot Belcher Dowling Lewis Murray Miles Jackson Fullerton Smith Neibling Conescu were running around in that comp at the same time.

1987 was a sad day for Qld football really. Two early 1900 clubs Brothers ( my old club) and Valleys have since folded. The entire Brothers side that won the last true GF in 1987 other than a couple of retiring players were offered Sydney club contracts. These included Trevor Bailey Tony Rea Mark Coyne Peter Gill and Clinton Mohr. The side they beat that year ,Redcliffe, included 5 Kangaroos.

The 1985 Wayne Bennett Souths side thst beat a star studded Wynnum side man of the match was Sydney jail bird John Elias. The Wynnum side included Lewis Miles Scott French and Lindner. Golden days ... sad they have gone.

Last edited:
The Donkeys hate playing at Brookvale, our band of home supporters actually intimidates them and in their history they have only ever won at Brooky five times in their history. I remember one particular game in 1995, the day we opened the Ken Arthurson stand and there was a crowd of 25K plus in attendance and Manly buried the News Filth Super League Donkeys 23-4 and our fans were merciless to them that day.

I do understand that our club has to somehow make a profit and playing in Brisbane really helps that but what we give up to do this is something you cant put a figure on . The last time we played them at Brooky was 2014 and our fans deserve to see Manly tackle them at Brooky again ASAP. We have taken 5 home games up there and the Donkeys get an easy ride. I live to see the day when our club has a home ground that means the club can make a profit and we are not forced to take games away from home!

It depends which Bronco's side turns up. The one that gave the Sharks a bath two weeks ago would give us a flogging, if they put it together again, because of our injuries. I really think Croker is a huge loss, given his confidence and steadiness over the last couple of games, and extremely concerned about big Marty, AFB, Api, all carrying leg injuries. Suncorp is cauldron for leg injuries, and the effort these boys are going to have to bring to the party, may see us with some longer term problems.

I seriously hope the boys can come through unscathed, but it is worrying me, and will be a headache for Des for sure.

Hopefully they are looking ahead to the Roosters the following week and we catch them out.

If they don't play Roberts then it is robbing him of the opportunity to answer the critics and play himself with out of a slump (Which he is quite obviously is in). Dumb coaching. That is unless he's been out on the tiles again
Screenshot_20190506-115330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Twitter

Big calls from Seibold at Broncos Training? Isaako and Roberts not training with the main group. Bird and Shibasaki at right centre/wing with Staggs at left centre. #NRL

Along with this Chris Garry just tweeted that Andrew McCollough has been carried off at training with a knee injury in severe pain. Looks bad.

Boy, the refs will have their work cut out for them if this keeps up.

Can't have magic round in brisvegas and the golden team losing. The 2-heads will go and burn down the xxxx brewery!

Twitter

RECAP of drama at Broncos: McCullough injures knee, carried off, will have scans tomorrow.
There's confidence it isn't season ending.
Roberts dropped.
Isaako dropped from starting team but could be bench utility.
Bird RIGHT centre. Staggs LEFT centre and GK.
Shibasaki RIGHT wing
---
Siebs us confusing the two headed players for us :eek:

james Roberts and Jermaine Osako have been dropped to QLD cup.

Hooker Anthony McCullough has gone down in agony with a knee injury and will have scans tommorow but it doesn’t look good.

They are reporting Redcliffe hooker Jake Turpin will be the man to take his place if he doesn’t play.

I have to be honest I’ve seen 5 Redcliffe games this year they are near the bottom
Of the ladder and Turpins service out of
Dummy half is untidy at best.

Even with our injuries I like our chances. Roberts would have been one player who would scare me if he was playing

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8