PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Broncos [Round 10, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Memories, anyone there that night?

Will always remember that great finish and attacking raid by Manly and that money ball from Giffty [ and Daniel Harrison for that matter too ] Recalled that Jamie Lyon goal kicked well that night but not Cory Parker "s number of crucial misses

Very much the classic "danger game", especially if the players have been reading the recent press and are thinking that they're better than they really are. Hope Des has them primed for a genuine 80-minute performance. (Can probably throw a few more footy cliches in, but you get the idea…)
Completely agree with this. Examples on REG's comment around this week especially:

(1) Recent NRL piece claiming Manly as the most likely team outside the 'power-5' to both sneak into the 8, and make an impact in the finals as the 'Dark Horse' (largely contingent on Turbo remaining on-field though)

(2) All the 'Experts' tip Manly to win this week - and some of those same 'experts' are tipping Bulldogs to win, Tigers to beat Newcastle, Dragons to beat the Storm, Cowboys over Rooters, Warriors to beat Eels, Titans to beat Panthers - yet with some of those tips, not a single one of them think Manly can possibly lose to this Brisbane outfit?

(3) The hype pieces around Saab all week and his improvement, you'd think the guy was about to be in the Origin frame.

(4) The hype pieces around Turbo being the best Manly Fullback, the most team-influencing player, a certainty for Origin, the best current fullback in the NRL (arguably), the best ever fullback in the NRL (definitely!), the second coming of the messiah, he who discovered penicillin, invented the wheel...the list goes on

Whilst I don't expect the accolades will go to the head of more experienced guys like Turbo, there are younger guys there (Harper, Keppie, Saab, Guac, Schu for example) who might think it will just happen - because some washed-up prick like Hooper or drunk like Rothfield says something positive about the team.

Broncos ambushed us last year and we were down 18-0 before we even woke up - and we snuck home that time off the back of Broncs throwing it away. It was played at the Central coast too, not Suncorp where the partisan crowd will sway already impressionable and inconsistent Refs.

This will be a good test for the team on how they handle their status as a 'Hot' favourite - in 2019, the Titans smashed us at home when we were expected to win handsomely and they were bottom, had lost 4 in a row after also losing their first 4 of the season (were 2-8 and eventually ran last) - this was the first game we really started as a unanimous favourite and we just expected an easy game.

Really hope Des has used that game to enlighten the team on what arrogance and complacency yields in today's game.

Go Manly!

Recall how in last season "s encounter , they got the jump on us literally with those edge bombs for Coates in particular . Hopefully with Saab and Garrick out on the flanks , this can be defused well if they try the same tactics. Would certainly be good to get another valuable two points after such a difficult season 's start and with the top 8 now beckoning . Should be able to match them in all areas and to be able to go on with it if everyone is focused and on their game .
Very true Al - but that was after creating a roll on effect through the middle and their kickers having 11 minutes to kick pinpoint bombs, slow that momentum and get pressure on the kickers is the way to minimise this ploy, which will be on their radar - IF they get away with dominating Manly in the ruck.

Famous !!!

Hahahahaha!! I am so glad I am happy most weeks with the team list now lol! Those first few weeks were noooooot funnnnn
Nah, the look on your face is absolutely priceless.

I found it most enjoyable , turn off the sound, watch Ella and go “ oh **** not him AGAIN”.

Memories, anyone there that night?

Yep. I was there that night with my daughter on a tour organised by Mark from Brisbane. Mark was a great organiser, he even organised the inspired finish.
It was not the only time Mark organised a tour that saw Manly trounce Brisbane.

Yep. I was there that night with my daughter on a tour organised by Mark from Brisbane. Mark was a great organiser, he even organised the inspired finish.
It was not the only time Mark organised a tour that saw Manly trounce Brisbane.
Happened regularly back then didn’t it !!

I was there in 2017.... :lipssealed:

Had a great first 40 min giving it to the donkeys supportters around me as we raced to a 14-0 lead at halftime...

then had to endure 40 min of torture as they came back to beat us 24-14 (with one obvious try disallowed because Cherry did his best impersonation of Greg Louganis)...

jesus I copped it..... :weary:

I’m sadly not going on Friday a long standing catch up with some old mates happening and we will be up in the Ballandean wine region ( yeah don’t think they are great they’re not , good red wine is only made in South Australia ) for the weekend.

Hopefully it’s another win.

I was there in 2017.... :lipssealed:

Had a great first 40 min giving it to the donkeys supportters around me as we raced to a 14-0 lead at halftime...

then had to endure 40 min of torture as they came back to beat us 24-14 (with one obvious try disallowed because Cherry did his best impersonation of Greg Louganis)...

jesus I copped it..... :weary:
And Turbo was definitely taken out illegally. , Not too sure how much longer after that incident the tacking or attacking the man off the ground rule was introduced but that illegitimate tackle on Turbo certainly cost Manly big time after it , he was out for weeks .

~sigh~ At one stage all that area was my old stomping ground 1000 years ago.

I went went 'googling' for Harry's "fine foods" on Petrie terrace, alas it's a kebab and burger place now.

Harry's was a great place to go for a value burger and well, the food you want when you're staggering outta the caxton, etc.

Now I'm sad I'm missing the game, and harry's is gone.

gee thanks Manly!

lol

wah

And Turbo was definitely taken out illegally. , Not too sure how much longer after that incident the tacking or attacking the man off the ground rule was introduced but that illegitimate tackle on Turbo certainly cost Manly big time after it , he was out for weeks .
as I recall, and I may be wrong, the ball bounced before he leapt for it??

so it still would not be illegal - unless the rule has changed.... (and my memory is not playing tricks on me)

so it still would not be illegal - unless the rule has changed.... (and my memory is not playing tricks on me)

I remember it as the same. The ball bounced, tom jump up for the 're-bound' catch and got nailed in the air from that.

nrl - as the ball had bounced, the tackle in the air penalty was not applicable.

unless we're in a hive and our memories are the same....!

~sigh~ At one stage all that area was my old stomping ground 1000 years ago.

I went went 'googling' for Harry's "fine foods" on Petrie terrace, alas it's a kebab and burger place now.

Harry's was a great place to go for a value burger and well the food you want when you're staggering outta the caxton, etc.

Now I'm sad I'm missing the game, and harry's is gone.

gee thanks Manly!

lol

wah
Haha Harry’s was a classic. Gone but not forgotten. Was the first feed I had in Australia after getting off a plane at 19 frm NZ with nothing but a backpack and $500! Knew nobody and just headed up toward the backpackers on Petrie terrace (banana benders I think). Was working as a labourer the very next day $$ in hand. Work during the day party at night. Loved those days haha

I remember it as the same. The ball bounced, tom jump up for the 're-bound' catch and got nailed in the air from that.

nrl - as the ball had bounced, the tackle in the air penalty was not applicable.

unless we're in a hive and our memories are the same....!
yeah... certainly screwed us though... they scored off that play and they scored twice more in the last 15 min after he went off...

You missed the bit where Trent had a cry about it in the presser. Lol

Tbf i wa blowing up at the time too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8