PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Dragons v Manly [Round 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
If Garrick and Parker are left in that team, make sure to cash in for lomax and ravalawa hattricks, they're gonna have so much fun on that side.

I did not get to watch the game until late on Sunday(I find when you watch a game and you already know the result it is easier to watch it without the emotion so high).
I know that a lot of people are really hurting with how the side is at the moment and I am not going to get into a back and forth with people about this,but I saw some real positives in the game.
I thought our forwards were all strong and completely outplayed their pack and that includes Croker having a pretty solid game too,and that is something to build on.(I don't think that Keppie was outstanding tho,a couple of hits on Graham does not make a great game,but was an improvement on recent efforts,I think Boyle was better in game 1 and don't get the hate for him)
I was overall happy with our 2-5,Parker is too slow(yes)and Suli got beaten on the outside right at the end.I would like Walker back to centre and move Parker to second row(that is on Des).I don't buy the b.s. that he would get more concussions or could not play there,he gets his headknocks hitting up on the first or second tackle from 2 metres from our own line with 3 props/second rowers smashing him.In the second row he would be getting the ball maybe on the 3rd or 4th hit up at best and an offseason putting on a couple of kilos would not slow a player who lacks real speed too much.
I thought Suli looked good and got involved without Sironen dying with the ball and I don't get the hate for him on here.
The 3 problems I saw were firstly Marty losing the ball in attacking position,in saying that it was seriously wet and it wasn't like the Rabbitohs ball security was outstanding.
The errors and bad decisions from DCE were hard to take and it is on the player himself to turn it around.
Walkers errors from fullback can be rectified by selecting Funa or Harper there and this is on Des to sort.
I honestly believe(and I said at the start,I have no interest in debating with so many people who are hurting at the moment) you take away those 3 factors and that game was ours for the taking,I don't believe any recent hype about the Dragons as I believe the Cowboys will be probably be wooden spooners this year(or Dogs).
I am pretty confident we will win this weekend,but if DCE has a game like that again it may change things.Whilst it will never happen...if DCE can't get his act together I would hope that Schuster moves to 5/8 and have Foran playing a Cronk type of role as half with minimal physical involvement.The best I have ever seen Foran play was his first year with the Eels,they played him as a game manager at 7 and controlling the game,he was simply outstanding until he got injured about half way through the season and has been injury prone since.
Pretty much agree with all that Joe, except Foran... I haven't seen anything yet that tells me he has gonna offer more than DCE but has - his kicking game is solid but not great and I can remember him taking on the line once in 2 games (granted the only time our halves had the ball in R1 was when the ballboy threw it to them for a kick off)...

Our forwards aimed up in R2 and Parker and Garrick were not terrible - my issue is that, after the 2nd part of last year and R1, neither should have been there... I want accountability and would be happy to see DCE sat out for R4 if he does not show this week....

Hopefully we win or we may never see @HappilyManly again!

~waves~
I haven’t seen her on here for ages. I did ask, and got a cryptic answer (from you GE), which made me stop asking because it seemed there was a personal, need to know reason, and even though I really miss her balanced, articulate posts, I do realise that it’s none of my business.

40 tackles last week and only missed 1! Great defensive effort for a guy playing out of position in his 2nd FG match
Farking no way!(in a great way) I knew he was hitting hard and often, but never thought to check his numbers. Which just shows how much traffic he deflected away from Foz. No wonder Des (Finally ) picked him in the starting side.

I did not get to watch the game until late on Sunday(I find when you watch a game and you already know the result it is easier to watch it without the emotion so high).
I know that a lot of people are really hurting with how the side is at the moment and I am not going to get into a back and forth with people about this,but I saw some real positives in the game.
I thought our forwards were all strong and completely outplayed their pack and that includes Croker having a pretty solid game too,and that is something to build on.(I don't think that Keppie was outstanding tho,a couple of hits on Graham does not make a great game,but was an improvement on recent efforts,I think Boyle was better in game 1 and don't get the hate for him)
I was overall happy with our 2-5,Parker is too slow(yes)and Suli got beaten on the outside right at the end.I would like Walker back to centre and move Parker to second row(that is on Des).I don't buy the b.s. that he would get more concussions or could not play there,he gets his headknocks hitting up on the first or second tackle from 2 metres from our own line with 3 props/second rowers smashing him.In the second row he would be getting the ball maybe on the 3rd or 4th hit up at best and an offseason putting on a couple of kilos would not slow a player who lacks real speed too much.
I thought Suli looked good and got involved without Sironen dying with the ball and I don't get the hate for him on here.
The 3 problems I saw were firstly Marty losing the ball in attacking position,in saying that it was seriously wet and it wasn't like the Rabbitohs ball security was outstanding.
The errors and bad decisions from DCE were hard to take and it is on the player himself to turn it around.
Walkers errors from fullback can be rectified by selecting Funa or Harper there and this is on Des to sort.
I honestly believe(and I said at the start,I have no interest in debating with so many people who are hurting at the moment) you take away those 3 factors and that game was ours for the taking,I don't believe any recent hype about the Dragons as I believe the Cowboys will be probably be wooden spooners this year(or Dogs).
I am pretty confident we will win this weekend,but if DCE has a game like that again it may change things.Whilst it will never happen...if DCE can't get his act together I would hope that Schuster moves to 5/8 and have Foran playing a Cronk type of role as half with minimal physical involvement.The best I have ever seen Foran play was his first year with the Eels,they played him as a game manager at 7 and controlling the game,he was simply outstanding until he got injured about half way through the season and has been injury prone since.
I agree with most of what you said but you are forgetting that it rained heavily. Souths would of smashed us without the rain. We will see how we go this Friday without the rain but its like you've said and I've said the same dce must step up otherwise he should be dropped! I would of dropped him already. Leilua has been dropped... it would really wake him up and embarrass him out of his comfort zone. Hopefully he can turn it around, he needs to think run 1st and stand deeper if they are all over him. I don't think we will win until round 5 tbh unless walker moves and dce steps up. Oh the panthers next week.... oh ****

I haven’t seen her on here for ages. I did ask, and got a cryptic answer (from you GE), which made me stop asking because it seemed there was a personal, need to know reason, and even though I really miss her balanced, articulate posts, I do realise that it’s none of my business.

She's fine and dandy, just extending her off season break :)

I agree with most of what you said but you are forgetting that it rained heavily. Souths would of smashed us without the rain. We will see how we go this Friday without the rain but its like you've said and I've said the same dce must step up otherwise he should be dropped! I would of dropped him already. Leilua has been dropped... it would really wake him up and embarrass him out of his comfort zone. Hopefully he can turn it around, he needs to think run 1st and stand deeper if they are all over him. I don't think we will win until round 5 tbh unless walker moves and dce steps up. Oh the panthers next week.... oh ****
No,I didn't forget the rain.

DCE won’t be dropped. He’s woefully out of form - possibly the worst I’ve seen him, but he won’t be dropped. He’s the team captain and will work his way through this slump in 1st grade. I think he just needs to take a step back this week and let Foz do the bulk of the organizing. Dce is trying way to hard to get the result.

Manly are no hope at the Gong. Can't remember last win there.

All I know is given both teams are likely wooden spoon candidates. Whoever wins get the 2 points and that's 2 points their opponent doesn't get. This game is a 4 point turnaround.

Hopefully DCE finds some Maroons form for the Maroon and Whites.

I'd be happy with Sea Eagles by 1 !!! If we hold the ball , we are a big chance of winning. Errors are our achilles heel at the moment, If we hold the ball, play simple , Kick and chase hard , we will build confidence and win.
While I don't disagree with your post, it does make me sad to see where we're at these days.

Lots of pundits predicted the Dragons for the spoon this year, and most of us are now thinking that the only way we can beat them is by playing basic 50:50 football, and hoping that we can jag a win. Is it a collective reflection on what we really think of the talent levels in our squad?

I hope that the players take this match personally, and play to their potential. If this was the Premier League, we would be in the relegation zone.

Late Mail:Bench utility Cade Cust is racing the clock after suffering a head knock last week. He must pass HIA protocols to be cleared to play. If Cust is ruled out, Manly coach Des Hasler will go back to his Round 1 plan of shifting Jake Trbojevic to hooker if Lachlan Croker needs a break. Tevita Funa would likely be the man to come onto the bench if Cust is not cleared to play. Martin Taupau is set to play despite suffering a head cut.

Late Mail:Bench utility Cade Cust is racing the clock after suffering a head knock last week. He must pass HIA protocols to be cleared to play. If Cust is ruled out, Manly coach Des Hasler will go back to his Round 1 plan of shifting Jake Trbojevic to hooker if Lachlan Croker needs a break. Tevita Funa would likely be the man to come onto the bench if Cust is not cleared to play. Martin Taupau is set to play despite suffering a head cut.
Here is what Des should do:
Drop Croker & play Jake there when Cust needs a break.

While I don't disagree with your post, it does make me sad to see where we're at these days.

Lots of pundits predicted the Dragons for the spoon this year, and most of us are now thinking that the only way we can beat them is by playing basic 50:50 football, and hoping that we can jag a win. Is it a collective reflection on what we really think of the talent levels in our squad?

I hope that the players take this match personally, and play to their potential. If this was the Premier League, we would be in the relegation zone.
Yep. Gone are those glorious years of Manly's scintillating backline play where we'd score tries that started from anywhere on the field. My memory is that the last try we scored which started from our half -- baring intercepts -- was the solo effort by Miski late last year.... and he was then punted from the club.
The Shoe will give our backline some much-needed flair but I doubt Parker and Suli have ever made a break of more than a few metres. Perhaps when they were racing for a warm shower at the end of a match?

Our scintillating backline play was a key factor in packing out Brookie in years gone by. It's not just nostalgia, it was a key component of our success.

Think of the runs from Fulton, Eadie, Mooney, Johnny Gibbs, Russel Gartner, Phil Blake, Boustead, O'Connor, Terry Hill, Jack Elsgood, Brett Stewart, Jamie Lyon, etc - that literally made you jump to your feet, screaming 'go, go GOOOO' ........

The whole hill - and the whole ground - would go up as one. All the food and drink around would be in serious danger, but you didn't care. It was Manly's backline in glorious flight, and didn't the Sea Eagles give it to anyone and everyone with no fear.

Des played in a fair few of those backlines; times and even game rules have changed, but he should have a keen understanding of backline play. Maybe the whole team needs to watch a few highlight reels from yesteryear to show how to attack and counter-attack, and give the other team something to fear for a change.

Percentage / possession / defense footy is basic rinse and repeat; the top teams know how to additionally improvise, create, and play any opportunity in front of them instinctively. We use to do the latter so much other teams feared Manly like no other side.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8